User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Curly Hair

Default Curly Hair

For ladies with curls...

My hair is kind of wavy/curly, but it has been feeling so dry lately. I use an intense conditioner for heavily damaged (permed/dyed) hair, but it still seems to get so dried out. I've never colored or permed or straightened it or anything. I wash only once, condition for a couple minutes, apply either some mousse or style cream and then sometimes blow dry.

Anyone else with curly hair have any advice on either conditioners or styling products or treatments for curly hair that's getting a little dried out?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTP

Do you know about the Curly Girl method? Sulfate shampoos and silicone based products kept my hair in a constant state of dryness, so I switched to conditioner washing. My hair does best with Wen, though it's expensive. Lots of curlies do deep treatments weekly, and also use a leave-in conditioner. Curly hair tends toward the dry side.

http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Cu...for-Curly-Hair
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ----

best treatment. bit exxy, but will do amaze-balls things to your hair. you're welcome.

http://au.strawberrynet.com/haircare...intense/91414/

I like using Redken Ringlet 07 in my hair . I've also heard that rinsing curly hair in cold water helps to reduce frizz so I have been doing that lately (when I wear my hair curly).
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

Oh thanks for the recommendations guys!

Tallulah, I've heard about that curly girl method, but I'm still a little disbelieving. Did you hair get gross at first before it got better?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFP

I don't experience dry hair, and I have extreeeeeemely curly hair. It might be your climate or genes. Perhaps how thin your hair is.

I wash my hair every morning with Head & Shoulders shampoo plus conditioner in one (I don't believe in expensive hair products, it's all a myth.), brush it, and let it dry. No separate conditioner or leave in conditioner. Perhaps your blow dryer is doing the damage?

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Do you know about the Curly Girl method? Sulfate shampoos and silicone based products kept my hair in a constant state of dryness, so I switched to conditioner washing. My hair does best with Wen, though it's expensive. Lots of curlies do deep treatments weekly, and also use a leave-in conditioner. Curly hair tends toward the dry side.

http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Cu...for-Curly-Hair
    I switch between Wen and Sally Beauty Supply's cheaper version, Hair One. About once a week I'll wash with sulfate free shampoo just to switch it up.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

*taking notes*

My daughter and my sister battle their thick curly hair on a daily basis, good info to pass along. I have it too, but it's not long at the moment.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Oh thanks for the recommendations guys!

Tallulah, I've heard about that curly girl method, but I'm still a little disbelieving. Did you hair get gross at first before it got better?
    Some ladies experience a period where it gets worse before it gets better. Mine responded right away, especially to the Wen. I've tried a whole bunch of different things, and my hair just responds to it. Though lots of women get away with co-washing with 99 cent Suave Naturals. Some people's hair is kind of bulletproof. They can do almost anything and it will look great. Other people have to really experiment to find the right routine, the right balance of protein and moisture, etc. Sometimes I think my hair needs more moisture, but it really needs more protein. So I do a protein treatment and it behaves again. Before going CG, I could never have worn my hair curly without pinning the canopy back. It was way too frizzy and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
    I switch between Wen and Sally Beauty Supply's cheaper version, Hair One. About once a week I'll wash with sulfate free shampoo just to switch it up.
    I was too broke for Wen for a long time (still am, really) and used Hair One for months...but my hair just doesn't like it as well, especially over extended periods of time. I wish it did! Now that I'm back on Wen, my hair is shiny again, and when I blow dry it straight, it doesn't even frizz. What sulfate free shampoo do you like?
    Something Witty

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

And this is why I hate winter, my hair is dry, frizzy, and I even get dandruff at this time. Every winter it happens and I've yet to figure out how to stop it. Any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.