• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curly Hair

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just bought some of this a few weeks ago at Sephora. It's not cheap, but I really like it. Controls well, lightweight, and no crunchiness. The smell however is what I expect from a man's aftershave, but it is faint.

living-proof-styling-cream.jpg

My hair is still wet in this pic, but you get a sense of the definition. I have very curly hair near the roots and around the front of my face, but the back has always been much looser. I usually have to break out the diffuser if I want to balance the curl out all over. However, with this product if I don't feel like the extra effort, I can get away with it because it's lightweight.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh cool. Do you do the no-shampoo iwaker?

Nope, no plans to try it any time soon either... maybe one day :shrug: However, I do keep forgetting to try that WEN system Tallulah talked about! Darnit, I wanna get that with this next paycheck. :yes:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope, no plans to try it any time soon either... maybe one day :shrug: However, I do keep forgetting to try that WEN system Tallulah talked about! Darnit, I wanna get that with this next paycheck. :yes:

I recommend DermOrganic too.

I used to have curly hair. Long soft naturally curly locks. I've always had them, but since the grass is always greener on the other side, I got the Coppola Keratin Treatment 9 months ago and it worked. Man, did it work. My hair got super straight. They said it would wear off after 4 months of washing, but it hasn't yet. Now I really REALLY miss my curls. I missed them after just a few months even. I weep for my curls. I hope they come back. :cry:

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I recommend DermOrganic too. Seriously.

I used to have curly hair. Long fluffy naturally curly locks. I've always had them, but since the grass is always greener on the other side, I got the Coppola Keratin Treatment 9 months ago and it worked. Man, did it work. My hair got super straight. They said it would wear off after 4 months of washing, but it hasn't yet. Now I really REALLY miss my curls. I missed them after just a few months even. I weep for my curls. I hope they come back. :cry:

That's just the sort of thing that prevents me from doing anything beyond a 48 hour straightening. My curls may annoy me, but I'm accustomed to them and have learnt how to deal with them. I hope they come back too. Eat well, take supplements, and give your hair gentle TLC. It should return to its right state eventually, either by recovery or fresh growth. :hug:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How often do you curly head girls using heated styling tools on your hair like blow dryers and flat irons?

I've not suffer from much dryness in my life and i've always attributed that to not using heat, chemicals or dyes in my hair. I would just wash and go. Once I got the Keratin treatment I started using a flat iron to touch it up and that's when I started seeing some dryness and split ends appear. Sadly, I don't think I could get away from the flat iron touch ups now with this Keratin treatment. bummer.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How often do you curly head girls using heated styling tools on your hair like blow dryers and flat irons?

I've not suffer from much dryness in my life and i've always attributed that to not using heat or chemicals on my hair much. I would just wash and go. Once I got the Keratin treatment I started using a flat iron on my hair to touch it up and that's when I started seeing dryness appear. I don't think I could get away without using the flat iron sometimes now.

I have naturally dry hair. Not excessively so until I start heat-treating it too much. I heat-style it much less in the past 5+ years or so. I baby it more. I'd say a diffuser + blowdryer once or twice a week at MOST, a straightening heat-treatment once every 2-3 months at most.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My hair can get very dry, and I do a heavy-duty condition treatment once a week, plus spray-in conditioner daily + actual oil (Moroccan Oil and/or spray-in).

I use the flat iron the most, but I also have a hot comb and two types of curling irons.
I use heat-protect spray before flat-ironing, etc.

I've discovered that my black girl friends are the experts on hair care and styling, extensions, etc. They constantly have to fight bad/unruly hair, so they know a lot more than I do, and I go to them when I've got problems.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I have issues with my hair... I've started letting it just "relax". I only straighten it when I have to travel(makes life much easier), or on a night out, which is extremely rare. I used to use all sorts of method to keep it from going insane on me. I use leave-in conditioner, the no-shampoo method, de-frizzing/shine-spray, weekly deep-conditioning, and sometimes mouse. I try not to brush it too much. I don't use a hair drier at all, I don't even know why I have one.

When I was younger(high school) I used to really want straight hair. I used all sorts of "straightening" products. I think that confused my hair quite a bit, so this is why i'm trying to stay away from anything "straightening", other thanHeat-Protectant.

It's really bad, because the bottom half of my hair is straight/slightly-wavy, and the top(near the roots) is like Afroman.

The only time I can manage it, is when I French-braid it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's really bad, because the bottom half of my hair is straight/slightly-wavy, and the top(near the roots) is like Afroman.

The only time I can manage it, is when I French-braid it.

No kidding.

My friend V at work, I've had the privilege (probably one of the few white girls around) to see her hair when it's conditioned and "poofed" and wild vs when it's tightly braided.

Somehow she turns this:
150px-Wild_hair.jpg

into something more like this (but shorter):
braidstree.jpg

(Actually, I know how: I sat there one Friday night and watched another friend of hers braid her hair from 7pm until about 3am. Absolutely incredible.)

F

figsfiggyfigs

Gefus. I can't spent THAT long doing my hair. How often did she braid it?

gromit

likes this
I rarely use any heat styling stuff, but it's still super dry. I've dropped off all shampoo, use only a conditioning wash/rinse, then leave-in conditioner and a little mousse. Still haven't got a system I like down yet, but it's definitely getting better.

I got my hair cut on a whim while I was visiting SF and I loooooved the cut and the products she used. I can't seem to find anyone here in Boston as good with curls as that lady was. :(

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I've recently discovered my hair was curly. I just wash with water, no shampoo or conditioner. If I do it just gets dry and poofy, so I haven't done that for months. Keeps it nice and strong so it never falls out when Mmhmm grabs and tugs and pulls it this way and that. Always a bonus.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
I've recently discovered my hair was curly. I just wash with water, no shampoo or conditioner. If I do it just gets dry and poofy, so I haven't done that for months. Keeps it nice and strong so it never falls out when Mmhmm grabs and tugs and pulls it this way and that. Always a bonus.

sometimes i get confused and don't know which
one i want to twirl and play with first, your hair,
or the little tufts of chest hair so just have to
simultaneously do it. rub head pet chest.

i just like it best when i yank at them,
pluckpluckpluck jock. hahahahah.

i used to process my hair a lot, i get it
glossed and steamed.

i don't really like using daily products. sticky.
not the good kind.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For ladies with curls...

My hair is kind of wavy/curly, but it has been feeling so dry lately. I use an intense conditioner for heavily damaged (permed/dyed) hair, but it still seems to get so dried out. I've never colored or permed or straightened it or anything. I wash only once, condition for a couple minutes, apply either some mousse or style cream and then sometimes blow dry.

Anyone else with curly hair have any advice on either conditioners or styling products or treatments for curly hair that's getting a little dried out?

I'm a guy and I straighten my hair, so I can't totally relate, but I can help if you'd like to straighten your hair and have it stay soft and healthy. basically what I do is wash as normal, use leave in conditioner afterwords, comb that through and wait for it to dry. next I use a thermal protector, comb that through and let it dry. after that, it just takes a few minutes to straighten and you're good :) feathery, elegant and soft as silk.
PS: the downside is it takes a long time to dry

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
@Jennifer
But I looooove the look of the top pic! I wish my hair would look that wild and voluminous.

My hair gets dry, but not as much when I use Wen. I blow dry about twice a week and diffuse about twice a week--sometimes I wear it curly and sometimes I wear it straight. My underlayers are less wavy than the rest of my hair, but diffusing helps even it out, and doesn't take long. I get more volume from diffusing, too.

Another good thing for some types of curly hair is protein. My hair hates hydrolized soy or wheat protein (but some curly girls do really well with it, and can use the supercheap and effective Ecostyler at Sally's). Mine loves keratin protein, and I condition it sometimes with Sally's Generic brand of the JOICO K-Pak stuff. Just experiment with the balance of moisture and protein. Sometimes if you overcondition, your hair can still look like straw! It's weird.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
I have long curly hair too. I use Pureology's Nanoworks line and get a Redken intensive conditioning treatment that lasts a whole month (just one treatment). Have to go to the salon for it though.