User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Thread: Curly Hair

I just bought some of this a few weeks ago at Sephora. It's not cheap, but I really like it. Controls well, lightweight, and no crunchiness. The smell however is what I expect from a man's aftershave, but it is faint.

My hair is still wet in this pic, but you get a sense of the definition. I have very curly hair near the roots and around the front of my face, but the back has always been much looser. I usually have to break out the diffuser if I want to balance the curl out all over. However, with this product if I don't feel like the extra effort, I can get away with it because it's lightweight.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Oh cool. Do you do the no-shampoo iwaker?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Oh cool. Do you do the no-shampoo iwaker?
    Nope, no plans to try it any time soon either... maybe one day However, I do keep forgetting to try that WEN system Tallulah talked about! Darnit, I wanna get that with this next paycheck.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Nope, no plans to try it any time soon either... maybe one day However, I do keep forgetting to try that WEN system Tallulah talked about! Darnit, I wanna get that with this next paycheck.
    I recommend DermOrganic too.

I used to have curly hair. Long soft naturally curly locks. I've always had them, but since the grass is always greener on the other side, I got the Coppola Keratin Treatment 9 months ago and it worked. Man, did it work. My hair got super straight. They said it would wear off after 4 months of washing, but it hasn't yet. Now I really REALLY miss my curls. I missed them after just a few months even. I weep for my curls. I hope they come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I recommend DermOrganic too. Seriously.

I used to have curly hair. Long fluffy naturally curly locks. I've always had them, but since the grass is always greener on the other side, I got the Coppola Keratin Treatment 9 months ago and it worked. Man, did it work. My hair got super straight. They said it would wear off after 4 months of washing, but it hasn't yet. Now I really REALLY miss my curls. I missed them after just a few months even. I weep for my curls. I hope they come back.
    That's just the sort of thing that prevents me from doing anything beyond a 48 hour straightening. My curls may annoy me, but I'm accustomed to them and have learnt how to deal with them. I hope they come back too. Eat well, take supplements, and give your hair gentle TLC. It should return to its right state eventually, either by recovery or fresh growth.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

How often do you curly head girls using heated styling tools on your hair like blow dryers and flat irons?

I've not suffer from much dryness in my life and i've always attributed that to not using heat, chemicals or dyes in my hair. I would just wash and go. Once I got the Keratin treatment I started using a flat iron to touch it up and that's when I started seeing some dryness and split ends appear. Sadly, I don't think I could get away from the flat iron touch ups now with this Keratin treatment. bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    How often do you curly head girls using heated styling tools on your hair like blow dryers and flat irons?

I've not suffer from much dryness in my life and i've always attributed that to not using heat or chemicals on my hair much. I would just wash and go. Once I got the Keratin treatment I started using a flat iron on my hair to touch it up and that's when I started seeing dryness appear. I don't think I could get away without using the flat iron sometimes now.
    I have naturally dry hair. Not excessively so until I start heat-treating it too much. I heat-style it much less in the past 5+ years or so. I baby it more. I'd say a diffuser + blowdryer once or twice a week at MOST, a straightening heat-treatment once every 2-3 months at most.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My hair can get very dry, and I do a heavy-duty condition treatment once a week, plus spray-in conditioner daily + actual oil (Moroccan Oil and/or spray-in).

I use the flat iron the most, but I also have a hot comb and two types of curling irons.
    I use heat-protect spray before flat-ironing, etc.

I've discovered that my black girl friends are the experts on hair care and styling, extensions, etc. They constantly have to fight bad/unruly hair, so they know a lot more than I do, and I go to them when I've got problems.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

figsfiggyfigs

I have issues with my hair... I've started letting it just "relax". I only straighten it when I have to travel(makes life much easier), or on a night out, which is extremely rare. I used to use all sorts of method to keep it from going insane on me. I use leave-in conditioner, the no-shampoo method, de-frizzing/shine-spray, weekly deep-conditioning, and sometimes mouse. I try not to brush it too much. I don't use a hair drier at all, I don't even know why I have one.

When I was younger(high school) I used to really want straight hair. I used all sorts of "straightening" products. I think that confused my hair quite a bit, so this is why i'm trying to stay away from anything "straightening", other thanHeat-Protectant.

It's really bad, because the bottom half of my hair is straight/slightly-wavy, and the top(near the roots) is like Afroman.

The only time I can manage it, is when I French-braid it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    It's really bad, because the bottom half of my hair is straight/slightly-wavy, and the top(near the roots) is like Afroman.

The only time I can manage it, is when I French-braid it.
    No kidding.

My friend V at work, I've had the privilege (probably one of the few white girls around) to see her hair when it's conditioned and "poofed" and wild vs when it's tightly braided.

Somehow she turns this:

into something more like this (but shorter):

(Actually, I know how: I sat there one Friday night and watched another friend of hers braid her hair from 7pm until about 3am. Absolutely incredible.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft