User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Curly Hair

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

Well, I am going to really freak you out Gromit, becuase I am about to one up the curly girl method...

Only shampoo your hair 2-4 times per month. Instead, use conditioner in the same way you would shampoo - massaging / scrubbing your scalp and hair just like you are giving yourself a good shampoo and rinse thoroughly. When you do shampoo, only shampoo at the roots and then let the shampoo just run over the balance of your hair when rinsing.

I cross my heart and hope to die, that your hair will not only NOT be gross, you will see a world of difference in a few weeks. I just use dove products because they work great for dry hair and are really reasonably priced.

I told a friend of a friend about this a few weeks ago, and despite the horrified look on her face, I guess she decided to try it and sent word back through our mutual friend that it is working great.

P.S. This is also helpful for dry scalp issues

P.S.S. I don't use any sticky products in my hair like hair spray or gel. I only use silicone based anti-frizz products. I am not sure how / if this would work with someone who uses sticky hair products.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Gromit,

Is your hair thin like most curlies? Or is the strand thick and strong? If it's thin, then you might need a little more protein but if it's thick, too much protein can make it brittle. My hair is super thick and coiled ln pencil size curls...I have to skip using a conditioner with protein.

This lady has some really good information on curly hair. Despite reading a lot on it, my hair didn't start to look good until I followed her suggestions:

http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/about%20tiffany.htm

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I women

I have been using conditioner as shampoo for a couple days now... have to say the results are promising.

Redbone,thanks for that link! So informative. My hair is on the finer side, so it seems like probably protein could be a good idea. I'm going to stick with the conditioner-as-shampoo for a little while longer and see how it goes. It may be all I need.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    For ladies with curls...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I women
    I hope guys are allowed to subscribe to this thread also! Hey, we have hair too y'know! *some of us, anyway *

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Is your hair thin like most curlies? Or is the strand thick and strong? If it's thin, then you might need a little more protein but if it's thick, too much protein can make it brittle. My hair is super thick and coiled ln pencil size curls...I have to skip using a conditioner with protein.

This lady has some really good information on curly hair. Despite reading a lot on it, my hair didn't start to look good until I followed her suggestions:

Interesting, yours sounds rather like mine... Well, if you should happen to get back to this thread I'd be interested to know what works for you - hopefully not involving lots of ladies' hair products of uncertain function that I wouldn't know what to do with anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I never brush it when it's dry,
    Brush? Hair? Dry? This is possible?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Haha! Of course you are welcome here friend.

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

How's the hair now that it's been a few weeks, Gromit?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Brush? Hair? Dry? This is possible?
    I could not have said this better!

Seriously, when I brush my hair and it's dry, it ends up looking pretty much exactly like this in a different color...

... and not in a good way.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP

I had very curly hair when I was a toddler. There are photographs of it. It has straigthened out since, except for some curls going always in the wrong way when my hair is longer than 5 cms. That's why I keep it very very short. (also - 'the wrong way' is usually in my eyes...)
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I could not have said this better!

Seriously, when I brush my hair and it's dry, it ends up looking pretty much exactly like this in a different color...

[img]

... and not in a good way.
    Yeah exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    I had very curly hair when I was a toddler. There are photographs of it. It has straigthened out since, except for some curls going always in the wrong way when my hair is longer than 5 cms. That's why I keep it very very short. (also - 'the wrong way' is usually in my eyes...)
    Ha... mine was the exact opposite. Straight as a kid and then it got super frizzy and curly at puberty. Super cute. Esp with the braces.

Quote Originally Posted by JoSunshine View Post
    How's the hair now that it's been a few weeks, Gromit?
    So I've been doing the conditioner 'wash' with a combination of the different methods that seemed right to me.

However, it seems like I have to use SO MUCH conditioner. It doesn't spread around nearly as easily as shampoo, I feel like I have to work a lot harder to get it all the way through my hair. Anyone else experience this?

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Gromit,

I liked this site a lot! She explained things really well and also gave a list of ingredients, which was very helpful.

As for my hair, it's pretty fine. So maybe the protein would be helpful. I'm holding off on more intense or expensive stuff for now, though.