First 1234 Last

Thread: Curly Hair

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

AYO, do you use any leave-in? Might help your winter dryness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Do you know about the Curly Girl method? Sulfate shampoos and silicone based products kept my hair in a constant state of dryness, so I switched to conditioner washing. My hair does best with Wen, though it's expensive. Lots of curlies do deep treatments weekly, and also use a leave-in conditioner. Curly hair tends toward the dry side.

http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Cu...for-Curly-Hair
    Same here.

I live by my leave-in, and I've completely switched over to sulfate-free shampoos and conditioner. As a result, my curl pattern is much more defined, and my hair hardly feels dry.

Gromit, have you tried not washing your hair for a day or two or a few? That might help your dryness. Or maybe just conditioner washing every other day instead of every day shampooing?
    Last edited by neptunesnet; 12-09-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I do not actually. Are there any particular brands that work pretty well?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

I like Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave-In. It's super light, and it makes my hair feel really soft.

But, you know, it's all a matter of what your hair likes. It takes a good amount of experimentation to find out what works best for you.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

My experiments with the curly-girl method included using hair one.. My hair didnt really like it. It responded to the treatment initially, but my hair is So heavy, and it's So long.. that doing things the way the curly girl method dictates proved to be time consuming. I'd sit in the shower for SO long.. when you're the last person in the shower and have a tiny water heater tank, it sorta sucks to take showers longer than 20 minutes. I found that my hair just requires shampoo of some sort, otherwise the build up is too fast and icky from conditioner-only.

However, I have found a sulfate-free shampoo I like finally. So I've been thinking about starting up Curly girl 2..
    Shampoo and deep condition once a week
    Don't wash for 3-4 days
    Condition wash
    don't wash for 2-3 days
    Repeat

Things stopping me: I haven't found a deep conditioner I want yet, and I haven't found a leave-in I want yet.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

What's a protein treatment? I've only tried moisture treatments. My hair and scalp are really dry during the winter despite only washing it every 2-3 days.

MBTI
    INTP

I use Joico K-Pak (or the Sally's knockoff), which I think has silk proteins in it. It's like a protein conditioner thing that you leave on for 2-3 minutes. You can also buy more intense protein treatments at beauty supply stores. You have to figure out what kind of protein your hair likes, though, or if it even needs protein. Mine is fine and porous, so it likes protein. My personal hair hates hydrolized wheat protein, though...it turns to straw if I use a product with that ingredient.

If your scalp gets flaky in the winter, you can try doing a raw honey mask. It works wonders for me. You get local, raw honey, mix it about 90% honey + 10% water, and apply to the scalp and let it stay there for 3 hours. (You'll want to make sure your hair's wet/damp first, though, or it'll be messy. Then do your regular co-wash.
    Something Witty

I tried the conditioner wash today, like Curly Girl method suggests. My hair definitely feels different. I will try it a couple more times and see what happens. I am so skeptical that so much gross stuff won't build up, but I'm willing to experiment.

This is cheaper than some of the other options at least.

Thanks everyone.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

my hair was so dry i cut it all off and now i'm a sad sad girl...i really wish i would've just done some conditioning treatments or something...wahhh...

anyway...don't blow dry it...very important..never blow dry curly hair or brush it when it's dry. just put a leave in conditioner in it...maybe a serum or a bit of almond oil mixed with a creamy textured paste to hold the curl.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Ha ha Lady X... I'm sorry about your hair honestly, but you make me laugh a little. I never brush it when it's dry, but sometimes I neeeed to blow dry before I go out in the cold.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I tried the conditioner wash today, like Curly Girl method suggests. My hair definitely feels different. I will try it a couple more times and see what happens. I am so skeptical that so much gross stuff won't build up, but I'm willing to experiment.

This is cheaper than some of the other options at least.

Thanks everyone.
    Gotta make sure you don't put anything in your hair that woudn't wash out with the co-wash, too. Silicones require sulfates to get them out of the hair.

Good luck! Give it some time, though...there may be a transition period, and you may have to experiment with brands your hair likes.
    Something Witty