Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Canker Sore Information

I don't get it, I thought canker sore usually stopped occuring by early adulthood, yet at 21 I still get them all the time. Do they ever go away at all, or am I doomed to get them throughout the rest of my life?

Also, any additional information on cure treatments, or anything on how to heal/negate the pain would be much appreciated, thanks.

Foaming agents in toothpastes can be a major culprit. Closys brand is an example of toothpaste available that does not foam. I highly recommend it to you.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

I was trying to find just that a year ago. You know what I was told to do? Use warm water and salt and rinse your mouth a couple times a day with it whenever you can.

I think the point of it was to keep the sore clean and to avoid irritating it further.

Yeah... not much help since I get them also. But mines tend to happen because I've bitten myself by accident. When I do get one, I avoid putting pressure on the sore like eating food on the opposite direction of the sore. Eat softer foods until the sore clears (eating something like chips would most likely make it hurt.)

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I'll look into non-foaming toothpaste and see ho that works.

I could try the warm salt water as well, how well exactly did it work?

I think I get mine when I accidentally bite my lip as well (granted I do have sharp teeth); I try to avoid saucy foods, but sometimes the temptation of delicious food is worth the stinging pain.

Anyway, thanks for he advice guys.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I usually get them at the start of a cold. When I had two of my molars extracted a month ago, I ended up with 3-4 canker sores afterward.
    It's said that, apart from toothpaste, stress and trauma to the lining of the mouth can cause them. I really don't believe they go away with age or anything like that. They are just more/less recurrent in certain people.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    I could try the warm salt water as well, how well exactly did it work?
    Not sure. Like I said, I think the point of the warm salt water was to keep the canker sore clean for a while so that it can heal faster. It did sort of help though.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I am 32 and still get them somewhat regularly. There was a time in my mid 20s when I couldn't remember a time when I did not have at least 1 canker sore. I would suspect that I had a streak of around 10 years with at least one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Foaming agents in toothpastes can be a major culprit. Closys brand is an example of toothpaste available that does not foam. I highly recommend it to you.
    This is the main thing I was going to mention. The specific foaming agent I know to look out for is sodium lauryl sulfate. If the toothpaste has that... stay away.

Also, any kind of trauma to the inside of the cheeks or gums even a small scrape from some sharp food or accidentally biting/bumping teeth against the cheek is almost sure to cause one for me.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Is it ironic, that this thread is reposted in, and I'm just starting to get another canker sore?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I have two of them forming right now.

I am having to sleep with a retainer and I think it rubbed the wrong way the other night because I woke up on my face and now canker sores are starting.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I still get them from time to time, usually on my bottom lip or in the corner. The salt water rinse helps if they are inside. The only thing I found that works for the others is Abreva at the very first sign of them. I stay away from the usual culprits like orange juice, tomato sauce, spicy foods and use gentle toothpaste. I was also told that they can happen because of vitamin deficiencies. I did notice a decrease in frequency when I began taking B-12.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.