• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Underwear for outdoors sports

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Underwear for outdoor sports

A touchy subject with some, but one worth bringing up. In particular, I'm wondering what you think are the best kind of long johns/underwear bottoms to use for chilly~cold weather or in heavy rain. What has the best warmth factor without being too warm, and keeps warmth despite getting wet?

Last edited:

Beorn

Permabanned
A superior base layer should be light and moisture wicking. It's not as important that it be warm itself. You can add other layers to maintain warmth. The underwear should be comfortable and capable of wicking sweat away from the body.

I would recommend patagonia capilene boxers for almost any activity.

32460_992.fpx

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-capilene-1-boxer-briefs?p=32460-0-992

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well, your baselayer/underwear is important for thermo-regulation, keeping your temp stable by keeping your skin dry and offering insulation, depending on the thickness and the type of fabric. My main concern with them is more for added warmth if/when my pants get wet in rain or when sitting still in cold temps. I'm thinking a wool/synthetic blend would be best, as wool has a better feel and warmth if it gets wet, while synthetics tend to dry significantly faster than wool. Fast drying means less time exposed to heat sapping moisture, but also means heat is being dispersed more rapidly as the water evaporates from the wet fabric. Wool does better at trapping air within the fabric and providing insulation despite being wet, though the water moves out of the fabric more slowly.

I'm thinking of picking up a pair of these long johns:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/...derwear-Bottoms-Lightweight-Wool-For-Men.html

They're a synthetic (acrylic) and wool blend that also includes 20% fabric from the Angora rabbit. Angora is said to have even better insulation properties than Merino sheep wool, at anywhere from 2.5 to 7 (though I doubt it) times as much warmth as wool, perhaps making it the warmest fabric.

Admittedly this might be more of an outdoors question since that's what I'm using it for, but I figured cyclists, snowborders, and other athletes also use underwear/baselayers.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Got to try the aforementioned base layer bottoms during a cold rainy hike this morning and sleeping in some cold nights in the 50s. WOW, unbelievably comfortable. Regulates temperature perfectly, though they can get a bit warm when you really get active and the sun is out. But when it's cold and rainy, they eliminate even the slightest hint of a chill that comes from having waterlogged pants, all the while feeling nice and dry the whole time. It's remarkable how efficient at warming/cooling these things are, considering how thin the material is.