First 1234 Last

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Actually I disagree with Satine - get this person moving. Exercise is paramount to an overweight person who eats badly. Some physical activity will help to burn the extra calories consumed, and serve to speed up the metabolism, and even eventually build muscle which also helps metabolism. Exercise may also help ward off (temporarily) health problems related to the obesity, especially since she is in her 50's.

But all of the rest of it....yeah. I've been around an ESFJ who started crying when people tried to help her eat better even though she's obese and only 24 and already has high cholesterol and type II diabetes. It's infuriating, like I don't know how to deal with someone like that honestly, other than to say it seems to work if you EAT WITH THEM. Show her what you eat and make it a team effort. It will pacify that co-dependent need she has for support and may help her to gradually make some changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    Exercise is just damage control though and it's really uncomfortable for an overweight person to do physical activity, making them hate it even more. You're better off focusing on one thing, aka the food, and only having exercise come in later, when they already feel motivated and fitter.

Also, it takes some time to find somethign they'd find enjoyable, or can incorporate into their daily routine and too many changes makes it harder to keep up. My ISFJ mom likes biking and my ISFJ friend likes getting up early and having a half an hour to herself to just clear her mind and run, but if she's into the whole group thing, you might wanna eventually get her to dance classes or something
    well, her body is very weak, her heart included, so exercise is important. Her heart is already showing bad signs. Making eating properly a bigger priority first might be the better idea, with some walking thrown in. As she looses weight, assuming it ever happens, then she will have more energy and feel less self conscious. she is extremely self conscious.
    I think she's the yoga/pilaties type of person. she has the dvd's but won't stick with it.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

In this case, it is. Start small, change one thing at the time. Get her accustomed to it. Then move on to the next project. Personally, I'm for tackling the root of the problem first, instead of threating her symptoms.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

what would be some good small goals?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

5 pounds in a month?

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

Lifestyle changes are what's important. Interal and external. The weight will come off as a result.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Small goals? Start with her learning a new skill= cooking. Get her to focus on that. Then add the goal of keeping a food diary ( to curb the snacks). Then add walking. Those are goals onto themselves. Then add the goal of weighing her once a week and working towards losing 5 pounds, however long it takes. Dont' make just weightloss the goal. Make her learning a new lifestyle a goal. Coz if you get her to lose the weight and she turns around and gains it all back again, you can start all over.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    well, her body is very weak, her heart included, so exercise is important. Her heart is already showing bad signs. Making eating properly a bigger priority first might be the better idea, with some walking thrown in. As she looses weight, assuming it ever happens, then she will have more energy and feel less self conscious. she is extremely self conscious.
    I think she's the yoga/pilaties type of person. she has the dvd's but won't stick with it.
    Walking would be good, even fifteen minutes per day at first. Exercise is a normal and necessary state of the human body - it is not some kind of counter-active agent to diet. It is a necessity for health in and of itself, and will make her weight loss goals a bit easier. Of course she isn't going to run a triathalon and I'm not suggesting that she do high-impact aerobics off the bat. Swimming is another gentle exercise. I'm sure she needs cardio, not just yoga and pilates.

This isn't to discount the importance of diet. I think the easiest way to get someone to lose weight is to get them to stop eating sugar. Overall diet changes and portion control are things that are going to have be worked on over time, especially with an SJ.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think the easiest way to get someone to lose weight is to get them to stop eating sugar. Overall diet changes and portion control are things that are going to have be worked on over time, especially with an SJ.
    Yeah this is helpful as the initial priority.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

And im not against that, but im saying it might be too daunting for her to focus on two fronts at once.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

body types

I would also try to determine her body type, you know soma types sort of, to determine how her metabolism reacts.

Personalty I feel while much of what is said is well meaning, its the wrong approach.

I've mentioned this before but you know the hypothalamus is our set point and regulates body shape right! Which means that exercise and diets are going to have a yoyo effect because her metabolism is poorly functioning and that has a lot to do with her endocrine system. If she were to remove processed sugar from her diet and grains such as wheat for 6 months...her whole body weight would shift unquestionably. Its just getting her to do that.

Forget about the exercise, until she can regulate her metabolism her motivation to want to exercise won't be there. She'll just do it to please others not for herself. There is an emotional element natrually, but there is another element and I've probably mentioned this too, increase her iodine and magnesium levels so that she can have more energy, maybe try to remove fluoride from tap water too. And also I would definitely try to gain a naturopaths advice on what kind of diet to follow. Because I'm pretty sure if you correct her lymphatic system her weight would restore itself much more smoothly.