User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Don't cut carbs out entirely, but move to complex carbs. Potatoes, rice, whole wheat pasta, etc. Simple carbs are the killer, not carbs in general. Cut out all carbs and you have no energy. The atkins diet is not good for most people.

The best way to eat is six meals a day, one fist size portion of lean protein, one fist size portion of complex carbohydrate, and a glass of water. For two of those meals, you also add a fist-size portion of vegetables.
    Yeah, exactly....Small, often, good portions, good quality food, low GI, and you're good to go.

Just eat sensibly and smaller portions, stick to 1200 calories at the lowest so you dont screw up your metabolism. Dont deprive your self either, if you want a slice of pizza every now and then go for it just dont go overboard. If you deprive yourself you might end up yo yo dieting...never works. Instead of "dieting" you should think of it as a lifestyle change. Dude, I sound preachy...sorry . Anyway, stay healthy and dont hurt your body, you need carbs. Take care k!
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    According to the B>C = WL method, I should be able to eat 1,000 kcal of chocolate cheesecake in one sitting, starve myself the rest of the day, and still lose weight. Fuck no. If only it were that easy.
    That's exactly what I did and I lost about 15 lbs and haven't yet gained it back.

Or perhaps I should say, that's exactly what I did, and then I got sick and lost about 15 lbs and haven't gained it back yet...

It's pretty much impossible for me to eat 6 meals a day around here (I'm talking about any food at all). Really, over 2 most days is a challenge...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

having less than 5% of calories from carbs (that is something 20 grams of flour) is for weight loss diets, for a limited amount of time.

low carb diets are not for everyone but i am rather sure they are for almost everyone who gets fat without feeling that he eats to much or even when he feels that he eats moderate or when he diets for years without success. this 'feeling' is a sign of one of two things, or both: 1) insulin resitance (cause by high carb) related modulation of metaboism wherein you feel hungry and lazy, you "need" to eat and your body won't mobilize the energy needed to excercise - 2) it's sign of having bad deficiencies caused by low-fat and/or low-protein. and this deficiencie can be relative to your nutrition type.

remember people don't get fat because of eating too much, they eat to much and are lazy because they eat wrong and are sick/ill-adjusted as a result of eating wrong for a lifetime.

weeks of ketogenic low carb are recommendet, but months are not a major problem either.

on the long run, you can't eat to much veggies. but you can eat the wrong ones, don't eat anything that makes you feel sick. ayurveda might be a good hint as to which choices are good for you or compatible with each other.

MBTI
    ENFJ

If I limit stuff too much I lose the will to eat.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Okay, I guess the question is: what foods are available to you?
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    xNFP

Most cafeterias have a well-rounded salad bar. You can basically eat salads 6 times a day, and no one cares. Keep fruit as a healthy snack (dried, fresh, etc.) For breakfast, try fruit bowls, fruit or veggie smoothies, veggie juice (different from fruit, has less sugar), eggs are an excellent source of everything, especially hard boiled so no extra crazy fat. Whole grain rolls or bran are good. Milk is good. Drink lots and lots of water, tea, and milk,......just be sure to combine it with some kind of fiber. Same with yogurt. Yogurt and fruit is a great combo (protein/sugar, acid/base, fiber). And seriously if all else fails, milk has EVERYTHING you need for one meal if you're in a hurry and on the run.

Lunch: lean meat, salad, fruit, tofu, whole grain pasta or rice, any kind of meat, really or fish even.

Dinner: same deal

Let's say you're on a 1800 kcal diet. Eat 300 kcal 6 times a day, give or take. You'll be good to go. And if they don't let you go in between meals, steal some shit and hide it. No one cares.

Some dietitians even say to start off your day eating meat. It kicks certain processes into gear...but I think that depends a lot on body type and history, which we don't know. That's why it's so important to see the doc on a regular basis and get his opinion. Or see a dietitian.

MBTI
    ENFJ

All the food is cooked and can't really be taken out inbetween meals except for, well, cereal.

Salad bar is nice but is generally not well stocked enough to steal.

MBTI
    xNFP

Way to provide nutrition to the most intelligent people in the populace. Damn. This country is really interesting.

If you go into any canteen here in Germany, you'll find fresh salads, quark bowls with fruit, whole grain rolls with meat or cheese or even veggies. Fresh fruit cups, buttermilk, milk, water, etc.

Wow. That really blows.

Hmm....well I'm at a loss. If I were you, I'd...cook for myself lol....

So specifically, what do they offer? Do you have a meal plan?

More importantly - is there only the big hall where you eat, or also a canteen or something around with healthier alternatives?

For example, at my uni, we had the big mess hall lol and then we had a mini cafeteria with lots of healthy stuff, too. And we even had a smoothie counter with frozen or fresh fruit or even veggies.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Way to provide nutrition to the most intelligent people in the populace. Damn. This country is really interesting.

If you go into any canteen here in Germany, you'll find fresh salads, quark bowls with fruit, whole grain rolls with meat or cheese or even veggies. Fresh fruit cups, buttermilk, milk, water, etc.

Wow. That really blows.

Hmm....well I'm at a loss. If I were you, I'd...cook for myself lol....

So specifically, what do they offer? Do you have a meal plan?
    I have 14 meals a week.

There's some kind of cook smooshy vegetable, some kind of badly-cooked meat, a salad bar which, by the time I get there, often has slim pickings, pizza, and sandwiches. The sort of food that could be low carb, aside from the salad bar, is extremely variable every meal and is sometimes high-carb or sometimes just plain inedible. Fruit is often there but often low (as in barely scrape-up-able from the bottom of the bowl), flavorless, very bruised, etc.

Because of the variation in the hot foods line, it'd be impossible to guarantee any kind of balance to meals. Many times I'd be eating only spinach.

Milk and hot water for tea is available at every meal, but often the mugs are out, which makes brewing tea difficult without scalding yourself. There's soda and fake juice (juice with additives) also, and water. Cereal is always available near the milk, but often certain individual types are out.

I have 14 meals a week, 3 meals are served on week days and 2 on weekends. On weekends I sometimes go out. 2 days a week it's impossible for me to go to dinner in the hall due to classes.