User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Red face How to get motivated?

Looking for a bit of advice here (and a kick up the bum I suppose).

I'm really unfit and fairly overweight (about 3-4 stone off the ideal weight for my height). I know I need to exercise, eat well and become healthy, and I've tried many times to change my lifestyle. It usually goes well enough for a week or two, before I become bored by this focus in my life and move onto something else to consciously work on. My question is really, how to I make good eating and activity a true part of my life? To the point where it's not something I need to consciously engage in (it's just there, like anything else). Usually I'm motivated to act when I become really aware of my weight - seeing something in the mirror I really dislike, or looking like a fat pig in a photo next to my tall slender friends (ok, I'm shallow - sue me ); sometimes it's when I've to run to catch a bus and it takes much longer than it should for me to get my breath back. I've tried joining different sports in the past, but to be honest I care nothing for sport and none that I've participated in have engaged my interest in any real way. If I don't like it I won't do it (wow I'm such an child :O).

Any ideas on how I can change my lifestyle, and more importantly how I can make it a permanent change and not another whim. All help is really appreciated
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Fast for 3 whole days and night. Experience Poverty for a month. Perhaps that could impact your meaning and motivation.

Does it seem overly severe? What is the price of purpose?

----

Ok, maybe that's not it...

How do you push yourself towards necessities? Beat yourself.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

What have you attempted to alter before? Have your efforts gone from low to drastic? Have you tried to find exercise that appeals to you, foods that don't taste like cardboard, and given yourself things you craved in moderation?
    Etc

I've jumped on and fell off the bandwagon a heap of times. It's usually because I'm not finding a form of exercise I actually enjoy or because I'm making too many drastic changes in my eating habits.
    You need to take it one step at a time. Small accomplishments snowball into huge accomplishments. Everything is something to be proud of and there's no need to beat yourself up on the way there.

If you feel bad for anything you're doing to better your health.. take a step back to where you feel okay. Don't stop the flow of things completely, but don't push yourself into misery! This is a huge, and common, misconception. Find whatever the hell works for you and gradually work toward betterment at your own pace.
    Assess what you want to accomplish and assess the benefits. That will set your drive for you, but keep it all in mind when you're having moments of doubt.

Basically, you're going to have to work a bit for it to stop feeling like work. This isn't saying kick your ass into overdrive, but it's saying that getting into any habit and making a routine takes effort and time. If you put some of that in, you'll start to forget that it's a routine.

A big motivator- other people. I use this subforum and Sparkpeople.com as motivators. I also put together an inspiration board on Stixy.com. Find the places and things that you can look to when you feel like it's all tiresome or BS.
    If you'll inevitably feel better about yourself, then it's not BS at all and it's absolutely worth it.

Now I'll hang up my motivational speaker clip board nonsense until later
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INTP

Thanks guys, some useful words of advice there! I do tend to beat myself up when I don't stay entirely on track. I'll try making less drastic changes more often, and see how well that works. Fingers crossed!

Re exercise: It's Fresher's week in college this week, so time to join all the clubs/societies. I didn't join any of the sports last year because I couldn't find the hall where sign ups were (), but I'll pick one or two this year. The uni also has a get active programme for the month of October to kick start activity, I wonder if I should sign up for that too? I don't see the value of joining the on-campus gym though, as it's wildly overpriced and from what I've heard the facilities are rubbish. We're getting a pool built but I probably won't see it until I've graduated...
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Ask kidnergardeners how you look. What they say should motivate you enough.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    INTP

I think young kids would be too distracted by my fluorescent orange hair to pay much attention to my weight to be honest . I have taken up jogging (in very short bursts for now, interspersed with walking. I'm so unfit :sad, which I actually find enjoyable enough. I think a healthier diet would be much easier if I didn't love food so much, or have a strong aversion to seafood. *shrug*
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

Find something that is FUN and that you like doing. Finding a buddy sometimes can help too.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTP

About 2 years ago I joined a local karate group with some friends. It just ended up being something I avoided because I felt embarrassed around my pals every time I missed a session... I think solitary exercise might be more appropriate for me at the minute - no one sees my embarrassing failures but me (and any cars that happen by).
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

Fair enough. What about the fun part though? What kind of things do you enjoy?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm very whimsical about what I enjoy. I seem to like martial arts for their practicality though (I like the idea of being able to fend for myself in a poor situation), and the jogging seems to be going well at the moment. That said, I have just started it so I guess time will tell..

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to swim, but to be honest I'm a bit too embarrassed to use the pool any time soon. When I've lost some weight I might have more body confidence to swim on a regular basis.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe