User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    4w5

crap, the quote thing messed up on one of those, hope it's not too confusing.

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    people abuse the word, and its like no I'm not an alcoholic, I'm not in denial about being an alcoholic I don't drink on nights I ahve classes I'm not drunk 24/7. yeah I've spent 3 days drunk before but those 3 days guess what i had to do? nothing!!!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by HighwayChild View Post
    Sounds like they have crossed that line into being dependent on it. Life doesn't seem as joyful without it. It has made them wreckless (well, they have made themselves wreckless, really). They know it's a problem but don't want to quit and make excuses. Sounds damaging and sounds like alcoholism, or at least on the verge of it. Maybe someone should talk to them, have an intervention, before it's too late. Might not help, but never know until you know.
    I think my uncle would be the hardest to get through to. His mom was telling him that he's putting far too much alcohol into one drink and he gave her the "what do you know anyway" look. My aunt, however, I think she'd be easier to get through to since she actually tries to hide it and it makes me think she knows it's not right, but can't help herself...

Perhaps, I'll see if my mom will help me try and make her see that she can have fun without the alcohol....

i have a drinking issue and most of my family are alcoholics of varying blood percentages no joke, a few of them are in aa now and they say alcoholism is when alcohol is having any type of negative affect on your life. its not dependent on blood alcohol levels or down in the dirt vomitting on alcohol or dt's. unfortunately its a physical dependency in many cases and these dependencies arent noticed till out of control. it depends on the person..

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by HighwayChild View Post
    I think that many people seem to throw in heavy drinker and "a drunk" in with the alcoholism and I don't agree. I can explain, but I want to hear what some of you think about this.
    I believe wiki correctly defines alcoholism

"Alcoholism is a disabling addictive disorder."
    This is referring to alcohol consumption where you addictively disable yourself. Not where you've had a few too many drinks, partied hard on the weekend, etc.. this is someone who drinks till they cant function..walk, talk, think, and they do it continually.

It is characterized by compulsive and uncontrolled consumption of alcohol despite its negative effects on the drinker's health, relationships, and social standing. Like other drug addictions, alcoholism is medically defined as a treatable disease.[1]
    Compulsive, uncontrolled. Drinking alcohol because you compulsively believe you must have it.. not being able to stop drinking though you want to, or need to. Getting up every morning with terrible nasea, diahrrea, and still drinking. Noticing your skin has a yellow pigment and your organs hurt, and still drinking. Eventually getting a swollen mid section and still drinking. Losing your family and friends and job, and still drinking.

There are alot of people out there with "drinking problems". This is NOT an alcoholic. Needing a drink to loosen up is not alcoholism.. and getting blackout drunk just to do it occasionally is not alcoholism.

Spotting a true alcoholic is fairly easy, because they can't go far or long without atleast being buzzed. They often hide bottles of booze in their vehicles, home, or use mugs and claim its coffee or whatever while its got booze mixed in it.

They also have an unhealthy tint to them which can be hard to notice if they dress nice and wear makeup. Look closely though cause its there.

Alcoholism is a terrible terrible disease. Anyone that says otherwise or claims people still have a choice is dealing with someone with a drinking problem, and not a full blown alcoholic. A FBA is just as addicted as a heroin junkie or dope feen might be. A FBA can not go cold turkey if they wanted to.. because it gives them body tremors, can send them into shock, seizure, or be potentially fatal.

My mom is a full blown alcoholic. If my father wasn't insanely loyal she would be on the street begging for money for booze. I have personally put her into rehab twice, and gotten my family to put her into rehab another 2 times. Even a low end rehab facility runs ya about 10k if you dont "qualify for social programs". My mom has ripped off medical hookups, iv's and catheders to walk out of a hospital in the middle of the night to get to a liquor store. I have seen her have tremors so bad that I have picked her up a pint just to stop them. You can't force anyone to get help. In the USA the only way you can force help against someones will is if they committed a crime and are court ordered to jail.. or you can go thru the legal processes to deem someone insane and then commit them to a mental health facitlity. I've tried both and failed.

Alcoholism is thrown around VERY lightly.. and this comes back to a bigger than ever agenda to tell people how to live their lives. Why? Conspiracy theory you say? Look at how much revenue your local state brings in with alcohol tickets. DUI's, public intox, alcohol related domestic disturbance, etc. Look at how many people are court ordered to alcohol classes.. and the success rate of them. The only people that succeed in these programs are people that didnt REALLY have a problem in the first place.. they made a dumb decision and got caught. People like my mom? At first she showed up to the class drunk.. then she started drinking green tea on days she was urine tested.. and then she decided to just quit going.. and that was about a year ago. We never heard back from the justice dept. Ofcourse they got about 8k out of her because you have to pay for classes, tests, interlock devices on your vehicle, etc. Does the system care if you resolve your problem? NO! They care about the revenue they collect from you. Ask a judge if you can have your fine dropped and stay 6 months in jail instead, it won't happen. You have to pay your fine, if you don't they will jail you, once you get out you still have to pay the fine. I've never seen a judge order jail time over a fine. NEVER.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Agree with the above. That being said, problem drinking is nothing to sniff at, either.

MBTI
    INFP

An alcoholic is not in control of their alcoholic intake.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    An alcoholic is not in control of their alcoholic intake.
    ^ that's what they teach in court mandated alcohol awareness classes... an alcoholic cannot control thier drinking
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    8/SX

Alcoholism is the neglect of the exponentially better substances.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Agree with the above. That being said, problem drinking is nothing to sniff at, either.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by NickNaylor View Post
    Alcoholism is the neglect of the exponentially better substances.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa let's not get too crazy.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it