User Tag List

MBTI
    yupp

Default home remedies for ear infections?

anyone know of any? I can't afford antibiotics til the middle/end of next week so i need something that will at least keep it from getting worse between now and then. I don't want the infection to spread to my brain personally.

ps. not a hundred percent sure its an ear infection going to student health on tuesday. but my ear hurts whenever i yawn swallow or sigh

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

If you have an outer ear infection, you can try a solution of vinegar and rubbing alcohol; it works just as well as the stuff you get from the doctor. (You can also put urine in your ear--the acid will kill the bacteria--but that's rather gross.) If it's an inner ear infection, though, I don't think there's much you can do other than wait for it to go away.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Well, when my son was small and I couldn't get to the doctor right away, I used to wrap up some black pepper in a piece of cloth and place very gently in the ear. Not down in the canal but just in the ear. It would help with the pain until I could get him to a doctor the next day.

It was told to me by a friend who was told by ??? and she did it for her son's earaches. It worked pretty well as a temporary thing. Just make sure it can't come out of the wrapping, so tie it up with a twistie tie or something very tightly.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ENTP

I was told by a dr once to eat stuff with tabasco sauce for a ear, nose and throat problems.

If you're not sure if it's an infection, it could be a huge piece of wax stuck in your ear. Have you tried the wax removal solutions? Or irrigating your ear with a syringe? Usually if you do the wax removal stuff first it gets the wax all slippery and then the water irrigation helps it slide out.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Not sure if this will help an ear infection, but I know hydrogen peroxide is safe for the ear... though this may be more for cleaning the ear before you have an ear infection and not after you have one.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Try an antihistamine like Actifed. Pollen count is high in some places and it could be allergies.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Tewt View Post
    I was told by a dr once to eat stuff with tabasco sauce for a ear, nose and throat problems.

If you're not sure if it's an infection, it could be a huge piece of wax stuck in your ear. Have you tried the wax removal solutions? Or irrigating your ear with a syringe? Usually if you do the wax removal stuff first it gets the wax all slippery and then the water irrigation helps it slide out.
    yeah i cleaned out my ear and it felt better after

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yeah i cleaned out my ear and it felt better after
    Yeah, been there lol. Usually if its an ear infection it hurts alllll the time.

Glad you feel better

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Since you're feeling better this will be just general info or something to remember for next time. But I've read that there is a push for doctors to stop prescribing antibiotics at the first signs of an ear infection. Most ear infections self-resolve, and many are viral or yeast-based anyway so antibiotics don't even work on them. (People think they do, because taking the antibiotic coincides with them feeling better, but they don't realize they would have felt better in a few days even without the antibiotic.)

Our pediatrician usually prescribes painkilling drops and an antibiotic to start in a few days if it doesn't go away. If we can't get there right away, we've had really good results with using a little warm olive oil instead. There's a kind of oil you can get from health food stores called garlic mullein oil that works really well, but honestly the olive oil works fine by itself.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Cotton damped with Hydrogenated Water for cleaning.