User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default I found something so mind-numbingly stupid that I thought I should share.

Dieting Debate: 'I'm This Size Because I Dieted'

Soon, the debate moved into mental health. In America, about 10 million women and one million men suffer from eating disorders. With issues like low self esteem on the table, the panelists were then asked if Americans, particularly children, where too fixated on the issue of size versus health.

"I think the most important thing that we can give to a child is a love for the body," said Roth, "and having cake and ice cream at someone's birthday party isn't why Americans [are] fat. It's acting like every day is somebody's birthday party is why America is fat.

"Food is a pleasurable thing," said Renn. "It can be a pleasurable thing in moderation. I absolutely believe there is nothing wrong with celebrating a birthday with something pleasurable such as food."

But Roth wasn't finished. "We've gotten ourselves to the point where we're behaviorally and neurochemically dependent upon food," she said. "[It's] fine to have birthday party food at a birthday party. But we say, 'Oh, you had a good day, here's cake, you had a bad here's cake, you got a promotion, here's cake.'"
    Emphasis mine. Full article can be found here --> Weight Debate: Is it OK to Be Fat? - ABC News

I first heard the emphasized portion out of context, and now seeing it in context it only seems marginally less stupid. I don't know about you, but I'd kind of like to have food both on my good days and bad days. How about you?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Using a substance for both celebration and for consolation is an indicator of addiction.
    I used to smoke. About 3/4 pack per day. I couldn't quit until I realized that I smoked when I was happy, when I was sad, hungry, angry, satisfied, anxious, fulfilled... it really didn't matter what triggered it, because everything triggered it. I just wanted to feel better.
    Many people have this same relationship to food. And rich, inexpensive food is everywhere.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

The wording is stupid, I agree. Of course we are dependent on food....we need it to live. However, the context is referring to emotional dependency. Emotional eating can be unhealthy because it leads to using food to quell emotion instead of learning to deal with it yourself. It serves as a self-medicating of sorts.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I can't stand that hysterical scaremongering.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

You can only have cake on ye birthday, miss!!

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Using a substance for both celebration and for consolation is an indicator of addiction.
    I used to smoke. About 3/4 pack per day. I couldn't quit until I realized that I smoked when I was happy, when I was sad, hungry, angry, satisfied, anxious, fulfilled... it really didn't matter what triggered it, because everything triggered it. I just wanted to feel better.
    Many people have this same relationship to food. And rich, inexpensive food is everywhere.
    So I can't eat on days when I'm happy AND days when I'm sad? I have to choose?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    So I can't eat on days when I'm happy AND days when I'm sad? I have to choose?
    Of course not. I don't think that's what the article implies either.
    Some people drink a glass or two of beer every day. Some people get drunk every day. What's the difference?
    (<-not sure what this means)

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Of course not. I don't think that's what the article implies either.
    Some people drink a glass or two of beer every day. Some people get drunk every day. What's the difference?
    (<-not sure what this means)
    I do not think a glass of beer or two is necessarily enough to make someone drunk.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Good post! Have some cake!

I think the article points out something pretty smart, actually.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Good post! Have some cake!

I think the article points out something pretty smart, actually.
    Eh, I'm not one for cake. My cardinal sins are red meat, white bread, and froufy girly drinks.

I don't think it's really that simple. Happy things require cake, sad things require ice cream, because ice cream is symbolic of the COLD SAD WORLD you inhabit.

Then again, this would be the same as "malboros when you're happy, copenhagen when you're sad", lol.