• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I found something so mind-numbingly stupid that I thought I should share.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Some of us is not all of us, the original article implicated every single person in the United States, unless we can assume that the person who said this is discussing her own issues...

It seemed to merely be saying that overeating has become common in American culture, not that every single American does it. I recently finished a good book on that topic.

The End of Overeating

On a side note, the "plus-sized" model in quoted the article, Crystal Renn, is around size 10/12 and she is gorgeous. I'm not sure if she's supposed to be an example of "fat' or what. If people are arguing that models her size shouldn't exist, that is just silly.

rav3n

Rather than taking it literally, I think the article has a good point and would take this point even further than the writer.

Why is food a reward or a form of consolation and why do we constantly reward or need consolation? Shouldn't food be something to sustain ourselves? Do we reward or console ourselves with water?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
^actually some people with anorexia and/or bulimia will use exercise to purge their body of what they just ate or to avoid guilt over binging.

the issue with this kind of thing is what's motivating you to do the behavior in question.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Must resist the temptation to ask the unaskable question(s) and then tease you! ;)

How about exercise? Do you both reward and console yourself with exercise?

Sometimes, but water's the big one.

I think my biggest consolatory behavior is bacterial infections, though.

sneha123

Hello, Very good post! Have some cake!
I think the article points out something pretty smart, actually.

Thanks with warms,

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When we talk about the question "Is it okay to be fat," I think the important thing is to define 'fat' and the parameters we use to get there.

Take BMI for example. Bodybuilders would be considered fat because their heavy muscle mass makes their BMI sky high; yet, they are not fat. Body fat percentage may be a good indicator, assuming your weighing mechanisms are correct and calibrated. Weight definitely is NOT a good indicator. Clothing size is also tricky since it varies from brand to brand.

If we were to assume that body fat is a good indicator, where the 'normal percentage' for women would be between 20-30% for the average woman (less for athletes, but definitely not more, please) then I don't think these people are fat, even if they don't fall into the norm of the skinny models, who normally have scary fat percentages and often look like tall boys.

So if we use the model industry as an indicator, we're basically all fat.

It's not okay to be unhealthy and obese.

It's perfectly fine to have beautiful curves if you are within your healthy weight range.

What is not cool is all the crap in foods making people unnaturally fat. Foods are full of:

- Preservatives
- Artificial shit (sweeteners, flavor, color, and I don't wanna know what else)
- Unhealthy natural shit (fructose but no fiber, caffeine, salt, sugar)

Take soft drinks, for example. Terrible, terrible. They fill the shit with salt and sugar. The sugar is addictive, and the salt makes you crave more fluid, and most people aren't smart enough to drink water when they crave more fluid. Even the diet versions are full of artificial sweeteners and other shit, making your liver work overtime to detox your body, making it have no time or energy to burn fat. Then add caffeine, a diuretic that flushes water OUT of your body, and BOOM, you have a problem.

Juice isn't much better. You have all the fructose and sugar that hits your blood stream in one big BOOM with little or no fiber to soften the blow. Even with pulp it's not that helpful. Then they often ADD sugar, as if that were even necessary.

Eat the fruit instead. Then it isn't processed. You get the sweetness along with all the water, vitamins and minerals, and then the sugar isn't that bad because it's combined with fiber.

Then you have all this crap with HFCS. Worst thing ever created. Anytime you buy anything cheap, you get what you pay for.

And eat some fat, damn it. Low-fat foods are crammed full of sugar or HFCS, and that is even worse for the body than fat. At least you feel full longer when you eat fat.

All I gotta say is: These guys wanna make money, and they don't give a fat rat's behind if you're healthy or not 'cause at the end of the day it was your choice.

So is it okay to be 'fat'? Depends on your definition. If we're talking model style, then 20 BMI and size 4 is fat. That's ridiculous. But if we're talking holy shit you're gonna have a heart attack in two minutes fat, it's not a good idea. And trust me, we're on the best road with all this shit out there.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
what about those who are fat due to disease? Often, diseases cause fat, not the other way around. Then, is it okay to be fat?

Whatever, I'm making myself a chai latte, which *gasp* contains sugar, fat, and caffeine!

G

Glycerine

I agree with OA, TWHS, noz. Haven't you ever met someone's who's eaten like a whole bag of popcorn or maybe 10 cookies JUST because they are stressed? I know someone who supposedly tries to lose weight but I don't think she will EVER lose weight because she ALWAYS inadvertently sabotages herself whenever she's stressed. Eating ice cream whenever one is sad is a rather unhealthy habit.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is no magical disease that I'm aware of that makes you fat. Retain water, yes. Bloat and slow metabolism, yes. Limit movement that slows metabolism, yes. But grow magical fat? No.

Everyone's body is different, and everyone needs to find a diet that works for him/her. (By diet, I mean 'manner of eating'.) Some people can metabolize protein very well and should have a diet high in that. Some people can process carbs better. Others need a diet almost entirely consisting of fruits and veggies with limited amounts of other things. Some people need a 'zone diet' with equal amounts of everything. Some people can eat anything they want within reason and still be healthy. Some people need over 3000 kcal to maintain their body weight; others need 1500. It's all about knowing your body, what you need, and what you can have.

And no one says that you cannot have sugar or fat or caffeine. Everything in moderation. A chai latte is cool. 10 chai lattes aren't.

Besides, fat is good for you, depending on the kind of fat. Sugar is necessary as well.

It's all about the KIND of sugar and fat and stuff you're infusing your body with, and some are truly necessary to process bodily functions and metabolize vitamins and minerals.

But if you are fat, as in more than 35% body fat, something's out of sync. And blaming it on a disease or McDonald's or stressful conditions, or shit you had to deal with growing up isn't going to solve anything.

It's your health, after all.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Oh yes, well I'm extremely fat, then, and I'm going to balloon up in size because of a disease that, yes, has an extreme tendency to make people obese. I need zero calories, so I should cut down extremely. No more chai lattes, I guess.

It's an experiment, I guess, seeing how much hate I will garner in five years when I'm 50 lbs fatter, and what I'm seeing is that it's an awful lot.