• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pap Smear

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, they hurt for me also...finger clenching, bite your lip, try not to kick the doctor in the groin kind of hurt. But then I am not one who is known to relax easily either. When I've had manicures, they say, "relax your hand!" constantly - I just can't do it.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I would think a pedicure would be relaxing... Am I missing something?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
At least they aren't applying nail polish to our cervix. Still feels like they're taking a nail file to it though.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

They are, but I don't relax easily, which is why they scold me :D. Pap smears are far worse as they are NOT relaxing....and you're exactly not coming out with a pretty design for sandal weather either.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The scrape hurts, or just putting in the speculum hurts? There are different sizes of speculums. You should tell the doctor it hurts rather than trying to be brave. Or get a new doctor. I'm thinking new doctor. Although if you like that one's personality or something about her, give her one more shot. It shouldn't hurt like that.

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
There's different sizes? Hmm...that could make sense with my situation, maybe. I've got a good doctor though, she does her best to make me comfortable (even warms it up first so it's not this harsh cold metal thing being shoved inside me). ;) My old doctor was male...that was a bit weird. :laugh:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are two brands typically used, the Graves and the Pederson, and they come in small, medium, and large. The Pederson is narrower. So maybe a Pederson, size small.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Do you think they hurt less if you've had babies already? I dunno - I had one male gynecologist who did it and I hardly knew he was there. But that was the only time it didn't hurt like the devil.

And for the record, those disposable plastic speculums? Epic fail! They hurt just as bad as the metal ones!

I have to say, the idea that it hurt so much really depressed me for some reason.
This is probably horrible to admit, but I had my first exam when I was pregnant with my first child. I vaguely remember it being somewhat traumatic, but it was 18 years ago and after four pregnancies I just sort of got used to medical handling, for lack of a better term. I still don't like it, though and since I stopped breeding I haven't been back as much as I should.

Relaxing, IME, does help because fear, up to a certain point, will always amplify pain. It's a lot easier said than done, though. The only thing that has really helped me with that kind of thing is Lamaze style relaxation stuff. Forcing yourself to breath normally and not tense up, etc. I don't know if you have someone close that can go with you and hold your hand and keep you calm, but if you do, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

You know what I always hated? When they tell me that "It's just a little pressure." It makes me want to rip their tonsils out and shove them up their rear.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*tickles Whatever's cervix* Yes, I did just do that.

Nooooo!!!! :horor:

Even sex from the wrong angle can start that weird, deep tickling that manages to capture my tailbone and makes me want to squirm, laugh, cry and hit someone all at once :doh:

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx

They rip your cuticles off and massage your feet and legs....I don't like massages much...unless it's shiatsu style.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah, so after all this talk about Pap smears, I decided to go out and get one to see what all the uproar was about. Man was it awesome!

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do you know so much about this stuff? *curious* :)

Just because one doctor pulled the speculum out and called the nurse to bring him a size small, and it was much more comfortable. So I started asking questions.

But there is also Google.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Tilty's advice is great - as soon as I knew they came in a variety of sizes, I became proactive and asked for what felt comfortable to me.

Most OB/Gyn's don't even use them though, they go by feel and "speculation" not necessary. Those are the best exams. :)

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I think Pat Smear is an ENFP.

I thought he was an introvert when he was in The Germs, but I guess that was just the drugs. Since, he touring with Nirvana changed my belief on that issue.

Go Jews!

Blown Ghost

MBTI Type
ESFP
Gee willikers, I'm glad I never have to go through anything like that.

Oh, wait. I forgot about prostate exams. :puppy_dog_eyes:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You know, it's a good thing these things don't pain me.
I just got a call from my gyno today, saying I'll need another one in 6 months and another 6 months from that.
At least we're in agreement that we want my vag to be in tip-top shape :laugh: