Thread: Pap Smear

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Do you think they hurt less if you've had babies already? I dunno - I had one male gynecologist who did it and I hardly knew he was there. But that was the only time it didn't hurt like the devil.

And for the record, those disposable plastic speculums? Epic fail! They hurt just as bad as the metal ones!

I have to say, the idea that it hurt so much really depressed me for some reason.
    This is probably horrible to admit, but I had my first exam when I was pregnant with my first child. I vaguely remember it being somewhat traumatic, but it was 18 years ago and after four pregnancies I just sort of got used to medical handling, for lack of a better term. I still don't like it, though and since I stopped breeding I haven't been back as much as I should.

Relaxing, IME, does help because fear, up to a certain point, will always amplify pain. It's a lot easier said than done, though. The only thing that has really helped me with that kind of thing is Lamaze style relaxation stuff. Forcing yourself to breath normally and not tense up, etc. I don't know if you have someone close that can go with you and hold your hand and keep you calm, but if you do, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

You know what I always hated? When they tell me that "It's just a little pressure." It makes me want to rip their tonsils out and shove them up their rear.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    *tickles Whatever's cervix* Yes, I did just do that.
    Nooooo!!!! :horor:

Even sex from the wrong angle can start that weird, deep tickling that manages to capture my tailbone and makes me want to squirm, laugh, cry and hit someone all at once
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I would think a pedicure would be relaxing... Am I missing something?
    They rip your cuticles off and massage your feet and legs....I don't like massages much...unless it's shiatsu style.
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    ISTx

Yeah, so after all this talk about Pap smears, I decided to go out and get one to see what all the uproar was about. Man was it awesome!

man. i used to go to the same gyno as my mother.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    How do you know so much about this stuff? *curious*
    Just because one doctor pulled the speculum out and called the nurse to bring him a size small, and it was much more comfortable. So I started asking questions.

But there is also Google.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Tilty's advice is great - as soon as I knew they came in a variety of sizes, I became proactive and asked for what felt comfortable to me.

Most OB/Gyn's don't even use them though, they go by feel and "speculation" not necessary. Those are the best exams.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTj

I think Pat Smear is an ENFP.

I thought he was an introvert when he was in The Germs, but I guess that was just the drugs. Since, he touring with Nirvana changed my belief on that issue.

Go Jews!
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ESFP

Gee willikers, I'm glad I never have to go through anything like that.

Oh, wait. I forgot about prostate exams.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

You know, it's a good thing these things don't pain me.
    I just got a call from my gyno today, saying I'll need another one in 6 months and another 6 months from that.
    At least we're in agreement that we want my vag to be in tip-top shape
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance