User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JoSunshine View Post
    Do yo still smoke the electric cigs? What about the nicotine addition?
    I do, and I'm still addicted to nicotine. But nicotine isn't carcinogenic on its own, and most problems with smoking come from the smoke and tar. Electric cigs just use vapor.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    the most efficacious behavior modification models for changing drug consumption habits have to do with changing the environment you're in. In extreme cases, people that are addicted need to completely avoid the places and even the PEOPLE with which the drug has been linked in the past. If you have also used smoking as a means of reducing stress in social settings or work or whatever, you'll need to find another way to alleviate that stress or any amount of stress will illicit the craving.

if you really want to quit and patches/cognitive changes aren't working, i'd move into a new place that in NO WAY resembles the environments in which you have smoked- your home. It may seem drastic, but the environment you're in can illicit changes in your brain (the brain actively prepares itself for a drug depending upon the environment youre in, such as a familar bar/tavern) in preparation for said drug. when the drug doesn't come in that environment, that's when withdrawal sets in and then of course the behavior of drug consumption. No amount of discipline or willpower will (directly) alter the well-established mechanisms and responses going on in your brain, so don't beat yourself up over that if it doesn't work.

Change your latitude, bra!

Great advice!

I stopped hanging out with the people that were usually around me when I smoked, stopped going to places where social smoking was a common thing. That TRULY helped.

MBTI
    INTJ

I just quit when I got sick once. It's easy not to smoke when you can barely breathe properly.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    yupp

ok so here's why i can't do the patch/gum after the packs i have our done i don't have a penny to spend on anything accept food and that's iffy at best (i have food at home not what i want but i'm not going to starve is my point) so I can't afford the patch or the gum. I'm not saying this to be oh poor me feel sorry for me i'm saying this cuz its the fact. I've survived 3 weeks with 15 dollars in my bank account and a week with .36 cents in it so i know i can survive again.

MBTI
    yupp

this is really hard i had to take a maintence puff i'd distract my self but theirs nothing to do, i tried sleeping can't fucking sleep so now i'm like damnit cuz how am i going to quit if i keep having to take maintence puffs? 3 hours between cigarettes is not getting easier I don't know why, maybe i have some genetic predispostion to extreme addiction.

MBTI
    INtP

You could try looking to see if your state has a sponsored quitting program (google "quitline" and your state). They actually provided free nicotine patches or gum....although this was a couple of years ago when the state budget didn't have such a crushing deficit.

You can get through it though. Remember that the first days are the worst, and that you feel this shitty and irritable because of the cigarettes. Good luck.

MBTI
    yupp

my mom bought me the patch

MBTI
    ISFP

Default quitting cold turkey

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    any tricks?
    Become a vegetarian.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by LeafAndSky View Post
    Become a vegetarian.
    thanks for the useless advice

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I quit about nine months ago. I found puffing on cinnamon sticks really help with the hand to mouth cessation. The cinnamon spiciness also made my lips/tongue tingle a little bit, kinda like cloves.

Of course - each time I go to the gym and swim for 20 minutes, imagining how much faster I'd be out of breath is always great incentive for not going back to smoking.