User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 19

  1. #1
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default Sinus/Migraine/Tension/Combination HEADACHES

    Hello everyone,

    I'm wondering if anyone here has (successfully) dealt with any of these headache types in the past:

    (1) Sinus = Feels like your eyes are going to get crushed AND burst out of your head all at once

    (2) Migraine = Head pain, sometimes on one side of the head only, sensitivity to light, sounds, and sometimes even smells (make you vomit if you smell a "trigger" like bananas)

    (3) Tension = Apparently these manifest when you're all stressed out

    (4) Combination = Sinus + Migraine + Tension all at once, HUZZAH! These are treated with 3 different injections, you halucinate, go to sleep, and you're done for the day.

    I had sinus and migraines BAD when I was a kid (5th grade through high school) and then they just went away. The past few years I got one or two per year. This year they have come back with a vengeance. We're talking two or more of these types of headaches per week, this week I am at two, and tomorrow will likely be day 3, as the barometric pressure keeps rising.

    - Thunder storm systems give me sinus headaches.

    - Sometimes these progress into migraines.

    - If the sinus + migraine hit when I am stressed out it grows into a combination headache.

    I have a Rx for Fioricet, Imitrex, and was given Hydrocodone but it didn't do anything.

    If anyone knows what type of headache specialist I should book with, or has been prescribed anything else that has been helpful in treating these types of headaches I'd love to hear about it.

    If you know any homepathic stuff that works that's fine too, I'm open minded.

    I'm scheduling with an accupuncturist next week.

    Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share. I will not consider your reply in this thread as medical advice and hold you harmless from any liability.

    Cheers to all,

    -Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  2. #2
    it's tea time! Walking Tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    I get sinus headaches when there's a dramatic change in air pressure. It feels as if my eyes are being crushed and my ears are huge and my head is going to explode from the pressure of the sinuses. I understand your pain only too well.
    We had a huge thunderstorm in the middle of the night, and I woke up with a sinus headache. In my case, it responds to ibuprofin. On rare occasion, it does not respond or I get a second headache that's worse than the first one.
    I too would be interested in homeopathic remedies.
    Please let me know how it went with your acupuncturist.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

  3. #3
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Ugh, headaches are horrible. I don't think I get migraines, just really bad tension headaches, and also being dehydrated + out in the sun all day give me bad ones, too. Typically I just take Bayer or Ibuprofen, sometimes a bit more than the recommended dose... and lie down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For example, last night I had a splitting headache above my left eye. I took Tylenol (shoulda taken Ibu) and went to bed.... and still had the headache in the morning! Ibuprofen and caffeine eventually put it right. I think it was a dehydration/sun headache.

    Anyway, this is probably no help to you since it seems like your headaches are worse/harder to treat. Good luck.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  4. #4
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Hi there Halla,

    I get a wide variety of headaches, often experienced on a daily basis. Things that have helped me:

    1.) Sinus: Sea water nasal sprays: Sterimar - Sterimar is good, but I don't know if you can get it in the US. There's also BreatheAgain and Afrin. Use it daily, very helpful.

    2.) Migraine: Amazon.com: Migrelief Original Formula, Triple Therapy with Puracol, 60-Caplets (Pack of 2): Health & Personal Care - the active ingredients feverfew and magnesium. The first time I used a feverfew based product, I didn't have a classic migraine for over 3 years. I had a migraine (classic with aura) recently so am taking MigreLief right now. Will take it for about 4 months then stop.

    3.) Tension: stretching, yoga, application of heat to shoulder muscles and massage therapy. I wear this while on the computer to remind me not to raise my shoulders / keep them aligned: ShouldersBack

    I too have barometric headaches, and there's not much I have found to assist in those situations. Although it may comfort you to know it means you are probably (literally) an airhead! Seriously; you likely have more airspace between your brain and cranium, and this does help protect you in the event of a knock on the noggin, so it's got benefits.

    Good luck Halla; I know how challenging it can be to muscle through headaches every day.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  5. #5
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    I get sinus headaches when there's a dramatic change in air pressure. It feels as if my eyes are being crushed and my ears are huge and my head is going to explode from the pressure of the sinuses. I understand your pain only too well.
    We had a huge thunderstorm in the middle of the night, and I woke up with a sinus headache. In my case, it responds to ibuprofin. On rare occasion, it does not respond or I get a second headache that's worse than the first one.
    I too would be interested in homeopathic remedies.
    Please let me know how it went with your acupuncturist.
    Hey W.T.!
    Sorry you are dealing with a similar demon.
    It's very frustrating.
    The pain is one thing to deal with, I've never had much issue with that.
    BUT - when the pain takes away my 5 senses, and disables me from being productive in my environemtn, that is very, very frustrating. It's like getting my ass kicked without the beating from a 400 pound gorilla.

    I'll certainly let you know how my appointment with the accupuncturist goes, I promise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Ugh, headaches are horrible. I don't think I get migraines, just really bad tension headaches, and also being dehydrated + out in the sun all day give me bad ones, too. Typically I just take Bayer or Ibuprofen, sometimes a bit more than the recommended dose... and lie down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For example, last night I had a splitting headache above my left eye. I took Tylenol (shoulda taken Ibu) and went to bed.... and still had the headache in the morning! Ibuprofen and caffeine eventually put it right. I think it was a dehydration/sun headache.

    Anyway, this is probably no help to you since it seems like your headaches are worse/harder to treat. Good luck.
    Hi Aquarelle99!
    You bring up two VERY good points:

    (1) Dehydration is BAD. No matter what, filling up on water will NEVER hurt you. I only drink bottled water at the office. Twice per week I allow myself a diet soda, or a regular soda, depending on what I am eating it with. If I have a low/zero carb meal I'll get a Dr. Pepper or Moutain Dew = YUMMM! Otherwise, it's H2O baby!

    (2) Excedrin = Aspirin + Tylenol + Caffeine (Read the Label) Caffeine is a vasodilator, and it can be very helpful in mitigating headache symtoms. If it does not, especially when administered in accordance with an analgesic such as Tylenol and/or Ibuprofen, then you know you are approaching either a migraine OR tension headache.

    Finally, here is a fact that is good to know; I learned it from a nurse when one of my daughters was sick. IBUPROFEN and TYLENOL do not INTERACT with one and other. What does this mean in practical terms? Well, both products on their own state that they can be administered EVERY FOUR HOURS. If administered more frequently they would build in unsafe levels in your bloodstream. BUT - since they DO NOT INTERACT with one and other, it is possible to administer them as such:

    ASSUMPTION: Headache sets in at 12:00 PM
    -------------------------------------------
    12:00 PM = 2x Tylenol
    2:00 PM = 2x Ibuprofen
    4:00 PM = 2x Tylenol
    6:00 PM = 2x Ibuprofen
    8:00 PM = 2x Tylenol
    Etc...

    Whereas, if you took just one of the two, it would be:
    ---------------------------------------------
    12:00 PM = 2x Tylenol
    4:00 PM = 2x Tylenol
    8:00 PM = 2x Tylenol

    BOTH are effective anti-inflammatory agents, and analgesics.

    SO - if you stagger their administration, you are able to benefit from both of their therapeutic benefits without risking any toxic build-up of them in your bloodstream.

    I've used this combination in accordance with Caffeine (either 2x Vivarin or a HUGE cup of coffee) and it has broken through the cusp of being functional VS. being incapacitated...

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Hi there Halla,

    I get a wide variety of headaches, often experienced on a daily basis. Things that have helped me:

    1.) Sinus: Sea water nasal sprays: Sterimar - Sterimar is good, but I don't know if you can get it in the US. There's also BreatheAgain and Afrin. Use it daily, very helpful.

    2.) Migraine: Amazon.com: Migrelief Original Formula, Triple Therapy with Puracol, 60-Caplets (Pack of 2): Health & Personal Care - the active ingredients feverfew and magnesium. The first time I used a feverfew based product, I didn't have a classic migraine for over 3 years. I had a migraine (classic with aura) recently so am taking MigreLief right now. Will take it for about 4 months then stop.

    3.) Tension: stretching, yoga, application of heat to shoulder muscles and massage therapy. I wear this while on the computer to remind me not to raise my shoulders / keep them aligned: ShouldersBack

    I too have barometric headaches, and there's not much I have found to assist in those situations. Although it may comfort you to know it means you are probably (literally) an airhead! Seriously; you likely have more airspace between your brain and cranium, and this does help protect you in the event of a knock on the noggin, so it's got benefits.

    Good luck Halla; I know how challenging it can be to muscle through headaches every day.
    Hey PeaceBaby! Thank you VERY much for the great advice above.
    I will read throuhg it and try to apply it on my next round of headaches.
    This is information I have not been exposed to before.
    I really appreciate you sharing it.

    ------------

    Thank you all for your contributions!

    I have some advice from another friend I will copy here soon for others that are trying to manage these same issues.

    Cheers to all, I hope you are well!



    -Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  6. #6
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Oh geez... that sounds awful. I hope you find some kind of solution or at least working solution.

    I have really only dealt with migraine-like headaches since I was a kid, and I think I've come to the conclusion that it's about internal water balance. So if I eat too much salty or sweet food or don't drink enough in general, or exercise/heavy labor without the proper balance then it just tends to spiral downward (light/noise/smell sensitivity, nausea, etc.). I can nip it in the bud though if I feel it coming on and take something like ibuprofen and drink a big glass of water. It has taken awhile to understand the symptoms/causes for me.

    It also helps that my dad gets the same kind of headaches for the same reasons, so he has passed on some of the knowledge to me (probably along with the headaches themselves, if there's some kind of genetic predisposition ).

    Hope you feel better...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  7. #7
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Yes, please ask me anything extra as you think of it. I have tried a lot of stuff, and may have some other insights to share that I am not remembering ATM.

    I even get ocular migraines, but there's not much you can do about them.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  8. #8
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Sorry to hear you have to deal with that, Halla

    I've always had issues with migraines, I don't get them often nor anywhere as bad as some other people I know, thank goodness, but sound and light can be excruciating when they come.

    Lately I've been trying different types of Migraine Pain pills (I have quite an impressive collection of tablets! *pride*, some appear to work well enough but I can't stand the doziness or blurred thinking side effects so I'm still searching.

    Look forward to reading the advice from your friend.

  9. #9
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    ^ feverfew and magnesium ... check out my link!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  10. #10
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    I saw it and am reading up on it now, thanks

    I want something that I can get in Oz though so I may need to use your link and find something local that's similar.

Similar Threads

  1. Minor headaches and nausea
    By Ezra in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 08:40 AM
  2. Can you have unusual Enneagram/MBTI combinations?
    By Athenian200 in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 01:02 PM
  3. Lery long lasting headaches
    By ygolo in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 05:39 AM
  4. Creative Tension
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 05:18 PM
  5. Got sinus problems?
    By spirilis in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2007, 10:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO