User Tag List

First 12

Banned
    MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I dunno, I want to be stronger. Seems like a useful thing to be stronger. I still have trouble opening jars and lifting heavy things.
    You just need a boyfriend.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

If you wanna gain weight, cut back on the cardio, obviously, and do more weight lifting. When you do cardio it shouldn't be long and draining, rather short and intense. Both of these types of exercises will stimulate muscle growth and limit the number of calories burned during the activity while keeping you in top shape. Other than that, eat lots of nuts, lots of meat. Learn to cook. Buy pork, since thatll be the cheapest and fattiest (highest in calories). Chicken is good too. Since you're trying to stuff in calories, eat it with some rice. Might try to avoid food too high in fiber that might otherwise fill you up with fewer calories. Gaining fat is a no brainer so long as you take in more calories than you burn, not rocket science. Gaining muscle, otoh, can more complicated.

*EDIT* And if you're too manly to eat nuts, then eat some chocolate. Ladies love chocolate .

MBTI
    INTJ

I dunno, I want to be stronger. Seems like a useful thing to be stronger. I still have trouble opening jars and lifting heavy things.
    Gaining weight and becoming stronger are not always related. This is especially true if you don't have testicles. Also, opening jars is more of a grip/forearm thing. I've seen a guy roll up a frying pan before and he appeared to have significantly less muscle mass than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by man View Post
    On a 3000 calorie diet I was gaining weight just fine and I had finally reached 177 lbs by the end of June. However, I started some high intensity cardio and my caloric demands have skyrocketed apparently. I'm now down to 167.

Anyway I can increase my calories without junk food (and without nuts)??
    Are you allergic to nuts? If so, that's too bad because PB is an epic weight gainer.

What kind of cardio do you do? Most people seem to think that high intensity interval training gives the most cardiovascular benefit with the least muscle loss.

Like Risen said though, it really just comes down to eating more than you're losing.

You could always start drinking beer a lot.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Gaining weight and becoming stronger are not always related. This is especially true if you don't have testicles. Also, opening jars is more of a grip/forearm thing. I've seen a guy roll up a frying pan before and he appeared to have significantly less muscle mass than I do.

Yes, gaining strength is a whooooole nother topic, really having more to do with neural adaptation than muscle mass, and nothing to do with overall weight aside from the fact that bigger people can produce more strength because they have to move that heavier bodyweight around all the time and being heavier puts more force/momentum behind your movements. IOW, physics can work in the favor of heavier people in terms of strength, for some movements.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I had to look that up and I've never seen anything like that.

That's a bit more strength than what I need (lulz) but to be honest I want to both gain weight overall and get more strength. I don't want to become all muscular looking (Eww) nor do I want to get a bunch of cellulite. How do I do this?

Are you allergic to nuts? If so, that's too bad because PB is an epic weight gainer.
    Noted.
    Have you done this before?
    What kind of cardio do you do? Most people seem to think that high intensity interval training gives the most cardiovascular benefit with the least muscle loss.
    What kind of cardio is good for gaining weight?

MBTI
    INTJ

I had to look that up and I've never seen anything like that.

That's a bit more strength than what I need (lulz) but to be honest I want to both gain weight overall and get more strength. I don't want to become all muscular looking (Eww) nor do I want to get a bunch of cellulite. How do I do this?
    I don't know anything about cellulite but you won't get all muscular looking (any more than say, a gymnast probably). That's a common fear of females but it's virtually impossible without taking steroids (which is what a lot of the females you're probably thinking of do).

Gaining weight is simple. Ingest a lot of calories and do some form of working out that makes your muscles work.

Noted.
    Have you done this before?
    Used PB to gain weight? No, but I have friends who have. I'm more of an endomorph and don't need weight gainers at all.

What kind of cardio is good for gaining weight?
    Already answered in what you quoted. HIIT. Look that up or guerrilla cardio or any variation, thereof.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    intP

Weight lifting circuits will train cardiovascular and strength at the same time. Don't worry about becoming too muscular, the vast majority of females simply don't produce testosterone to cause significant growth.

HIIT or any other cardio program is necessarily poor at making strength gains. The way to get stronger is to challenge your strength. If you're not lifting progressively heavier things, you're not getting stronger.

To get stronger, you should focus on doing more weight and less reps (less than six). For most women strength gains will be primarily from gains in the abilty of the brain to activate the muscle you have.

To get the most out of a workout, consume a good amount of carbs and protein within 45 minutes. During this time your muscles are still actively pulling nutrients in to fuel activity. Getting as much nutrition to your muscles as you can makes for a speedy and thorough recovery, which is when you are actually making performance gains.

A trick for gaining good mass is to consume cottage cheese immediately before bed. Cottage cheese is a slow digesting protein and will provide a steady supply of amino acids to your blood at night, which minimizes normal catabolism.

I'm an intp with physical training as one of my passions. What else do you want to know?

Edit: Waitasec, am I talking to giggly or man?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Thank you

I am female and I am listening.

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

I still have trouble opening jars
    Only guys can do that. Because we spend the majority of our time grabbing ourgonna shut up now.

MBTI
    GOAT
    Enneagram
    DUNO
    Socionics
    FOFF

Add more calorie dense foods to the diet...

High fat foods tend to be the most calorie dense of all i.e. nuts, seeds and oils

Rice, pasta, quinoa (also a complete source of protein, which is rare in plant foods) and dried fruit are decent caloric dense carbohydrate sources.

Red meat, fatty fish like salmon, whole milk and whole eggs are good caloric dense protein sources.

Weight gain shakes are an easy way to add more calories - you don't need to buy the expensive weight gain powders (most of them have junk nutrients anyway to boost calories) - you can make your own using protein powder, milk, peanut butter, banana, oats etc.

Trail mixes (combination of nuts, seeds and dried fruits) are also an easy way to add more calories to your diet.

There are quite a few bodybuilders that take olive oil shots regularly to boost caloric intake.