User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: Walking!!!

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default Walking!!!

Because there's no other exercise I can do without causing extreme pain or blackouts, then walking I shall do.

Goal: across this great country 10 miles

Current fitness: 5 miles (sort of)

Today: 3.6 miles, unfortunately. I went the hillier way and then I started to get nauseated so perhaps it was time to stop. Maybe it was a bad idea to walk in the heat of the day. :/

I'll probably do the rest later, when it's not so hot.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

Nice work!

I love walking, particularly when I can escape out of the city and out into the bush somewhere.

Do you take a pedometer? If so, aim for 10,000 steps. I'm not sure how that works out in miles, but I think you're on your way!

Just curious, why were you getting blackouts? I used to get blackouts when I exercised and it was because of extremely low iron/ferritin (it was 4 and it should be 30-150).

Good luck with your program!

MBTI
    ENFJ

I don't know why I get black outs, I think it's a combination of dehydration and low blood pressure (I get healthy readings at the doctor's but that's when I'm intensely nervous). It's mostly in exercises with a lot of stretching and weird positions and stuff, like yoga and pilates, which is why I get so annoyed when people recommend them to me. They say it because they think it's easy, it's not easy when your vision is always fading!

I live in the suburbs so there's a lot of space to walk, and often people put out their sprinklers to run through

I don't have a pedometer but I looked it up, 10,000 steps is approximately 5 miles, thought it might be more steps for me because I have short legs. So the 5 miles fulfills that requirements, and then there's everything else I do, which includes a lot of pacing, so...

Anyway. I did my remaining 1.4 miles with my brother. He has a longer stride than me but I still managed to keep up.

Phantonym

Walking =

Nice work, indeed! Don't try to force it too much, any exercise is good exercise, so it's best you try to enjoy it as much as possible. If you don't feel like reaching your full walking goal for the day on one day, you can always do some extra on the next day when you feel better. No point in beating yourself up for not reaching the goal, because you actually did get up and do some exercise, so it's all good.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Five miles is really difficult, I wouldn't want to torture myself right now with doing more than that if I miss a day.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Five miles is really difficult, I wouldn't want to torture myself right now with doing more than that if I miss a day.
    I meant more like...oh, I did 3.6 miles today, that's ok, maybe I can do some more tomorrow. The next day: oh, I reached 3.7 miles today. Woohoo!!!

Torturing yourself with exercise or negative thoughts about exercising definitely doesn't make things enjoyable, so what helps me, at least, is to try to find something positive in the little accomplishments. They get bigger as the time passes.

Riva

I could remember once we went on a trip and we walked and walked and walked. And I managed to lose almost 3 kgs. But back then I wanted to gain weight not lose.

MBTI
    ENFJ

The original plan was to download War and Peace on free audio book, turn it on and just stop when it's over.

your resident asshole

You should really get that blacking out think checked out. That's not really supposed to happen. :/

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I meant more like...oh, I did 3.6 miles today, that's ok, maybe I can do some more tomorrow. The next day: oh, I reached 3.7 miles today. Woohoo!!!

Torturing yourself with exercise or negative thoughts about exercising definitely doesn't make things enjoyable, so what helps me, at least, is to try to find something positive in the little accomplishments. They get bigger as the time passes.
    The problem is the terrain.

3.6 miles is 1 hour. 5 miles is an hour and forty minutes. After the 3.6 miles it's uphill both ways.

I was just at the doctor and am still very sore from it, I don't plan on going back!