User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default Vibration Trainer Machines

Have any of you tried/used/own one of these machines? They are supposed to help drain lymphatic glands, give more energy, build core strength, develop muscle etc etc. My cousin is thinking about buying one (they are about $2200), but would like some more opinions/experiences of other people to factor in.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Nothing replaces real exercise.

They *do* work. To a point. But again, nothing can replace the real thing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post

Excellent reply!

Several devices have attempted to supplant exercise.

Remember "Tens" units?

The rubber pads that hooked into a power supply via wire leads, and each power source was controlled by a dial?

They are great for lower back pain, they are super for folks in a medical setting who do not have full capacity to exercise, but do not wish to atrophy. Neither will turn an average person into Mr. Olympia.

Before spending $2,200 on a machine, first look at their used price (an indicator if they are worth a shit, (a) if lots are available they suck, (b) if used price is less than 50% of retail then they suck). Then, see if you can get the opinion of a neutral third party, a trainer you know casually, a fitness store clerk who is not on commission, or a local gym rat.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

In her case, she suffers from thyroid problems and walks/runs 1 1/2 hours a day plus does some light strength training. Her daughter is 15 and had slight oxygen deprivation when she was born, resulting in some learning difficulties. The daughter has always been extremely tired and needs a lot of time to be fully awake in the morning, and also has had to take a day or two off school every month to catch up on sleep. My cousin is hopeful that this could make a difference in her daughter's alertness and also enhance her own fitness.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

If it could work and help her, that would be amazing. I would definitely suggest doing more research first though, or you might ending up wasting two grand on a giant paperweight.

Ask a doctor. They would know best.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    INTJ

A whole gym in one!

I wouldn't recommend it for the kid, though.

Really, though, I wouldn't see the vibration machines doing any serious help to anyone who is even relatively healthy or capable of exercise, surely not compared to walking/running an hour and a half a day.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISTP

As much as I'd like to think this will help her, I looked at a video and I honestly think this would be a waste of money.

Something to consider when thinking about fitness... the most vital element of overall fitness has very little to do with muscles. Muscles are like the wheels on a car, they are where the rubber meets the road as obviously they are the only thing moving your skeletal system around. However what is far more important is the engine, the nutrient delivery system.

The primary factor of how good of shape someone is in not their muscular development but rather their cardiovascular system, and the only muscles involved there are the heart and diaphragm which can only be developed aerobically. Someone with well developed heart, diaphragm, and muscle capillaries but poor muscle tone and extra fat will outperform someone with great muscles, low body fat, but poor cardiovascular development. Aside from the possible lymphatic stimulation, this machine seems to be focused on muscle development so I'm not sure it has much to offer her or her daughter.

I'm certainly not a doctor or a fitness expert but I think the best thing they could do is get some medication and look into low impact aerobic exercises like swimming or an elliptical machine. Better diet perhaps, too? Hope this helps.

MBTI
    INTx

No personal experience, but my question would be what this expensive machine can do that light bodyweight routine (with a cost of $0) could not. Improvement is simply an adaptation to stress.

The promise of draining glands and such sounds like marketing crap, like a detox program. If anything, a doctor or dietician should be consulted for those types of things.

If it could work and help her, that would be amazing. I would definitely suggest doing more research first though, or you might ending up wasting two grand on a giant paperweight.

Ask a doctor. They would know best.
    Just suggest she do this. She is going to have to find a neutral party.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

They'd be better off with electro kits and I wouldn't suggest those to anyone unless they're so far gone they are suffering from muscular atrophy, have a severe physical disability, or are in need of intense physical therapy due to injury.

I just looked up videos on the vibration trainer things, they look like a load of crap. Reminds me of when my mom and aunt went to this 'gym' where they had machines you laid on that moved your body for you. Resistance is what builds muscle. Example: If you curl a dumbell, you're supposed to tense the muscles at the top of the curl and then slowly lower it back down. If you just fling it up then let you're arm go loose and just drop it back down due to the weight, you're not doing yourself any good.

Skip the vibration gimmick. If they're in that bad of shape, get the electro-pad deals like Halla74 posted, try to find the kinds they use in physical therapy treatment and not mass-market,'as seen on tv' junk.

Honestly, I think they'd be better served with Resistance Bands and a Balance Ball. A helluva lot cheaper and far more effective.

EDIT: I did have a friend get professional medical treatment for his plantar fasciitis using vibration...Ultrasound vibration that is.
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]