• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wanting to get fitter

infjwatching

I ride my stationary bike everyday for 30 minutes and I walk an hour about 3 times a weeks doing errand around the city. I can't afford a gym membership right now but I am looking to become fitter and build over all strength. I don't consider myself super fit but I do do some form of exercise everyday. Can anyone give me some suggestions of things (exercises) I can do, please remember I am on a tight budget. I eat a very healthy and all organic.

Thanks,
INFJWatching

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Replace the walks with running, and I think you'll see more results. Bike is excellent. Maybe do some sit-ups after the bike ride. Use stairs, go swimming.
Good luck! And don't forget to rest too.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
core exercises. i enjoy floor work a lot.

the intensity can be anything from
alignment (yoga, pilates) to strength building
/muscle definition (give me a six pack type deals).

i'd suggest to start with alignment, to really understand
how your body works and how far you can push yourself
for the best results.

a lot of great information can be found on the internet.
the diligence to get informed is half the battle.

just make sure you read a lot before you start doing it.
to buy a book i'd suggest something from Iyengar
or Vanda Scaravelli, "Awakening the Spine"

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you just want to get skinny then I know an easy way to. This is what I've been doing-

Oatmeal with a bit a peanut butter in it for breakfast.
Tuna for lunch in some way (I make it a melt). Tuna is one of the most lean meats you can get, with a ton of protein. So it keeps you filled and doesn't have many calories.
Drink lots of water.
Eat something generally not terrible for you for dinner, I eat a salad or something.
Stop eating sugar and fat.
Do cardio.
Just generally consume less calories and exercise more. Burn more than you take in.

You'll lose weight.

wolfy

awsm
Here is a pretty good and hard bodyweight workout.

Death by Bodyweight
How to get a great workout with no equipment!
by Ian King

I have no idea what you can do and what your level of strength is. You can get a good strength workout at home. Arnold's old Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder has a pretty good bodyweight workout in it too. You could try the library. His one is easier than the one above but a solid workout.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Assuming you have zero resources budgetwise, there are still a number of exercises you can do with just your bodyweight to get yourself into whipcord shape. Google and youtube searches will be helpful.

Some examples:
- Planks
- Pushups
- Situps
- Burpees
- Yoga

There's a lot of variety to each of those too. Pushups for example, you can do standard pushups, wide stance pushups, military pushups, diamond pushups, decline pushups, etc. You have access to a bike, which is helpful, and if you have access to a bar for pullups, that's also very helpful.

I've a couple good resources I'll link later when I get home.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
I ride my stationary bike everyday for 30 minutes and I walk an hour about 3 times a weeks doing errand around the city. I can't afford a gym membership right now but I am looking to become fitter and build over all strength. I don't consider myself super fit but I do do some form of exercise everyday. Can anyone give me some suggestions of things (exercises) I can do, please remember I am on a tight budget. I eat a very healthy and all organic.

Thanks,
INFJWatching

I think I mentioned my idea in passing to you a while back. Body weight exercises are the way to go on a budget. Look into gymnastic exercises.

I also highly recommend this book:
Capoeira Conditioning.
Amazon.com: Capoeira Conditioning: How to Build Strength, Agility, and Cardiovascular Fitness Using Capoeira Movements…

This book has a great breakdown of body weight exercises (with good illustrations) categorized by what they're for (flexibility, strength, explosive power, etc). It also has set programs targeting specific muscle groups, with sets ranging from 7min - 30min.+ workouts (and let me tell ya, even the 7min. workouts will put a hurtin' on ya if ya keep up the cardio side of things:workout:).

They do kind of talk Capoeira up like its God's gift to fitness training, but they're not too over-the-top. It really does have a lot of good information, sound advice, and Capoeira is an excellent full body workout.

NOTE: This book has a lot of good exercises to build a base to start real capoeira training. You don't even get into the crazy flips and things you'll see on videos, so don't let something like that intimidate you.

Good Luck! :hug:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If you're up for the task of illegally downloading workout dvds, i would suggest that. I've downloaded a lot of Zumba related things.
Sparkpeople.com offers a lot of free exercise clips and tips.
Just generally consume less calories and exercise more. Burn more than you take in.

You'll lose weight.
The wording on this just hits me all sorts of wrong.

Make sure, regardless of what you burn (BMR & Exercise), that your calorie deficit isn't greater than 1000 daily. It's common knowledge, but a body needs around 1200(female)-1800(male) to stay out of starvation mode.

Basically, don't eat 1200cals and go on an exercise spree if you don't plan on replenishing. :yes:
I would also say it is better for the body if you eat moderately and exercise, than to eat the minimum and not exercise.

infjwatching

I think I mentioned my idea in passing to you a while back. Body weight exercises are the way to go on a budget. Look into gymnastic exercises.

I also highly recommend this book:
Capoeira Conditioning.
Amazon.com: Capoeira Conditioning: How to Build Strength, Agility, and Cardiovascular Fitness Using Capoeira Movements…

This book has a great breakdown of body weight exercises (with good illustrations) categorized by what they're for (flexibility, strength, explosive power, etc). It also has set programs targeting specific muscle groups, with sets ranging from 7min - 30min.+ workouts (and let me tell ya, even the 7min. workouts will put a hurtin' on ya if ya keep up the cardio side of things:workout:).

They do kind of talk Capoeira up like its God's gift to fitness training, but they're not too over-the-top. It really does have a lot of good information, sound advice, and Capoeira is an excellent full body workout.

NOTE: This book has a lot of good exercises to build a base to start real capoeira training. You don't even get into the crazy flips and things you'll see on videos, so don't let something like that intimidate you.

Good Luck! :hug:

Thank Sweetie,:hug::wubbie:yes you did mention that to me but I didn't remember that there was book. I am going online right now to see how much it is.

Everyone thank you, you've all given me some great ideas to achive my goals. I am healthy, just not as fit as I want to be but I am going to be, no more jelly belly! If you have anymore tips or suggestions, please let me know because, I need to keep up with a certain sexy fit hiker I know! lol :yes:

onceuponatime

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
9w1
WANTING TO GET FITTER!
I want to be more fit.
But FITTER I'm not wanting.
know this isn't very fitting.
But I'll be the most fit.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
Healthy eating. Regular exercise. It's amazing how easy it is once you really put it in the focus.

As others have suggested, try and find a way to exercise through doing things that you personally enjoy yourself. Find an excuse to get outside the door more, and even if you can't, make your time inside an exercise routine. I play a lot of video games due to my profession for instance, but I've made it a rule to take breaks regularly during the day to exercise while listening to podcasts relating to my own personal hobbies.

Focus is the key. Of course, being an INFJ, you probably know how hard that particularly trait can be to find at times. =P

BTW, hot avatar.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thank Sweetie,:hug::wubbie:yes you did mention that to me but I didn't remember that there was book. I am going online right now to see how much it is.

Everyone thank you, you've all given me some great ideas to achive my goals. I am healthy, just not as fit as I want to be but I am going to be, no more jelly belly! If you have anymore tips or suggestions, please let me know because, I need to keep up with a certain sexy fit hiker I know! lol :yes:

Do the 30 day shred if you're trying to tone up, on top of walking and riding your bike. You can get it on-line I think, or it costs maybe ten bucks for the DVD at Wal-Mart or Target.

Or like someone else said, run instead of walk and do some sit-ups.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6

Hey Honey,

Here's what I was talking to you about earlier. I decided to post it on here for anyone else who may be interested.

Army PT manual. FM21-20 in handy pdf format:
http://www.hooah4health.com/4you/FM2021-20.pdf

Its a long read, use the table of contents wisely :D. I usually throw in a few of my old PT exercises with some of my favs out of the capoeira book. If you'd like, I can give you a list of what I consider to be really good body weight excercises from the PT. I might have to find links to them though, there's some that have different names than what's used in the civilian world.

Or like someone else said, run instead of walk and do some sit-ups.
I actually wouldn't recommend sit-ups. They can put unnecessary strain on the lower back (of course, my back's blown out pretty good, so its something I have to pay extra attention to). Crunches aren't that effective either. For abdominal exercises I would recommend: flutter kicks, supine bicycle, the plank, and mountain climbers.

infjwatching

Hey Honey,

Here's what I was talking to you about earlier. I decided to post it on here for anyone else who may be interested.

Army PT manual. FM21-20 in handy pdf format:
http://www.hooah4health.com/4you/FM2021-20.pdf

Its a long read, use the table of contents wisely :D. I usually throw in a few of my old PT exercises with some of my favs out of the capoeira book. If you'd like, I can give you a list of what I consider to be really good body weight excercises from the PT. I might have to find links to them though, there's some that have different names than what's used in the civilian world.

I actually wouldn't recommend sit-ups. They can put unnecessary strain on the lower back (of course, my back's blown out pretty good, so its something I have to pay extra attention to). Crunches aren't that effective either. For abdominal exercises I would recommend: flutter kicks, supine bicycle, the plank, and mountain climbers.

Yes of course Sweetie I always want your advice on which ones you think are best for me. :hug: I have already downloaded the PDF file you sent, and I am getting the exercise ball as you suggested tonight. I hope you sleep well Lover and have yummy dreams! LOL :wubbie:

Thanks again to everyone has giving me so much information on fitness and diet, I will be a lean mean fighting machine in just a few months. :cheese: