User Tag List

12 Last

Smile Wanting to get fitter

I ride my stationary bike everyday for 30 minutes and I walk an hour about 3 times a weeks doing errand around the city. I can't afford a gym membership right now but I am looking to become fitter and build over all strength. I don't consider myself super fit but I do do some form of exercise everyday. Can anyone give me some suggestions of things (exercises) I can do, please remember I am on a tight budget. I eat a very healthy and all organic.

Thanks,
    INFJWatching

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Replace the walks with running, and I think you'll see more results. Bike is excellent. Maybe do some sit-ups after the bike ride. Use stairs, go swimming.
    Good luck! And don't forget to rest too.

core exercises. i enjoy floor work a lot.

the intensity can be anything from
    alignment (yoga, pilates) to strength building
    /muscle definition (give me a six pack type deals).

i'd suggest to start with alignment, to really understand
    how your body works and how far you can push yourself
    for the best results.

a lot of great information can be found on the internet.
    the diligence to get informed is half the battle.

just make sure you read a lot before you start doing it.
    to buy a book i'd suggest something from Iyengar
    or Vanda Scaravelli, "Awakening the Spine"
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If you just want to get skinny then I know an easy way to. This is what I've been doing-

Oatmeal with a bit a peanut butter in it for breakfast.
    Tuna for lunch in some way (I make it a melt). Tuna is one of the most lean meats you can get, with a ton of protein. So it keeps you filled and doesn't have many calories.
    Drink lots of water.
    Eat something generally not terrible for you for dinner, I eat a salad or something.
    Stop eating sugar and fat.
    Do cardio.
    Just generally consume less calories and exercise more. Burn more than you take in.

You'll lose weight.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Hiking, preferably in hills or mountains.

Here is a pretty good and hard bodyweight workout.

Death by Bodyweight
    How to get a great workout with no equipment!
    by Ian King

I have no idea what you can do and what your level of strength is. You can get a good strength workout at home. Arnold's old Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder has a pretty good bodyweight workout in it too. You could try the library. His one is easier than the one above but a solid workout.

MBTI
    INTx

Assuming you have zero resources budgetwise, there are still a number of exercises you can do with just your bodyweight to get yourself into whipcord shape. Google and youtube searches will be helpful.

Some examples:
    - Planks
    - Pushups
    - Situps
    - Burpees
    - Yoga

There's a lot of variety to each of those too. Pushups for example, you can do standard pushups, wide stance pushups, military pushups, diamond pushups, decline pushups, etc. You have access to a bike, which is helpful, and if you have access to a bar for pullups, that's also very helpful.

I've a couple good resources I'll link later when I get home.

Sniffles

Pretty much do a physical activity you enjoy doing.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by infjwatching View Post
    I ride my stationary bike everyday for 30 minutes and I walk an hour about 3 times a weeks doing errand around the city. I can't afford a gym membership right now but I am looking to become fitter and build over all strength. I don't consider myself super fit but I do do some form of exercise everyday. Can anyone give me some suggestions of things (exercises) I can do, please remember I am on a tight budget. I eat a very healthy and all organic.

Thanks,
    INFJWatching
    I think I mentioned my idea in passing to you a while back. Body weight exercises are the way to go on a budget. Look into gymnastic exercises.

I also highly recommend this book:
    Capoeira Conditioning.
    Amazon.com: Capoeira Conditioning: How to Build Strength, Agility, and Cardiovascular Fitness Using Capoeira Movements…

This book has a great breakdown of body weight exercises (with good illustrations) categorized by what they're for (flexibility, strength, explosive power, etc). It also has set programs targeting specific muscle groups, with sets ranging from 7min - 30min.+ workouts (and let me tell ya, even the 7min. workouts will put a hurtin' on ya if ya keep up the cardio side of things:workout.

They do kind of talk Capoeira up like its God's gift to fitness training, but they're not too over-the-top. It really does have a lot of good information, sound advice, and Capoeira is an excellent full body workout.

NOTE: This book has a lot of good exercises to build a base to start real capoeira training. You don't even get into the crazy flips and things you'll see on videos, so don't let something like that intimidate you.

Good Luck!
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

If you're up for the task of illegally downloading workout dvds, i would suggest that. I've downloaded a lot of Zumba related things.
    Sparkpeople.com offers a lot of free exercise clips and tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Just generally consume less calories and exercise more. Burn more than you take in.

You'll lose weight.
    The wording on this just hits me all sorts of wrong.

Make sure, regardless of what you burn (BMR & Exercise), that your calorie deficit isn't greater than 1000 daily. It's common knowledge, but a body needs around 1200(female)-1800(male) to stay out of starvation mode.

Basically, don't eat 1200cals and go on an exercise spree if you don't plan on replenishing.
    I would also say it is better for the body if you eat moderately and exercise, than to eat the minimum and not exercise.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance