12 Last

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Constant waking during night...Sleep disorder?

Hello fellow insomniacs!

It is nothing new to me to have difficulty sleeping. I have been used to having long cycles of sleeping little followed by shorter cycles of sleeping at least a regular amount sometimes sleeping a great deal.
    What is new to me, and has been happening for around two months is a state of constant waking throughout the little hours i do sleep.

I tend to go to sleep around 2-3am and get up at 7am. The problem is i wake up between every 15 minutes to every half an hour (My so believes it actually much more frequent than this that i sit up and try to get out of bed befor he tells me it's not time to get up).

I usually think i'm late and struggle (half asleep) to get out of bed. I then go downstairs to put the kettle on or go to the lavatory or get a drink of water or prepare the childrens breakfast...only to find it's half an hour since i last got up. My partner is being woken up by me doing this and often tells me it's not time to get up so i come back to bed.
    I seem to have no awareness of time and for some reason i do not look at the BIG bedroom wall clock!

I just wondered if this is a common thing?
    Does anyone else have this?
    Is it some kind of sleep disorder?
    And finally should i go to the quacks about it?

My SO thinks i really should go but he's a bit of a hypercondriac and i don't want to make a big fuss if theres nothing they can do. I also do not want to keep waking up my so, it seems pretty unfair.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Yeah, so go to the doctor.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Yeah, so go to the doctor.
    Yep, I'm with Tiltyred on this one, you might want to check in with an M.D!

Here's a reality check. I've been an insomniac my entire life. My brain does not turn off, I am always scheming, planning, plotting, wishing, trying to figure out how that song on the radio sounded two weeks ago, etc.

I asked my doctor for a sleep medication Rx 12 years ago. He gave me Ambien. I took half an Ambien the first night and found out I was allergic to it. :horor: My uvual swelled up, I couldn't breathe, and I wound up in the ER.

Then I was given a Rx for Xanax. It works very well, but my tolerance has built up to it, so now I alternate between it and Benadryl (generic = diphenhydramine HCL).

Also, I wake up and eat at least once, and sometimes twice in the middle of the night, every night. Such is the curse of weighing 235 pounds and having a huge metabolism.

When I was about 32
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Then I was given a Rx for Xanax. It works very well, but my tolerance has built up to it
    klonopin <3
    0.5mg
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I understand medication can be the only answer at times and certainly if it works for you personally then great.
    but would really i would like to avoid it. To be honest i don't actually feel that tired most of the time i just think it must be unhealthy to sleep so little, plus the fact i keep waking my SO who is a light sleeper. I was thinking more along the lines of a sleep clinic or natural solution, i believe some of it may be down to anxiety/stress primarily the fear of waking up late.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I understand medication can be the only answer at times and certainly if it works for you personally then great.
    but would really i would like to avoid it. To be honest i don't actually feel that tired most of the time i just think it must be unhealthy to sleep so little, plus the fact i keep waking my SO who is a light sleeper. I was thinking more along the lines of a sleep clinic or natural solution, i believe some of it may be down to anxiety/stress primarily the fear of waking up late.
    I'm with you on the medication thing Have you been checked out for sleep apnoea though? That seems like a possibility here, and can be a condition that requires treatment, even a potentially dangerous one.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I'm with you on the medication thing Have you been checked out for sleep apnoea though? That seems like a possibility here, and can be a condition that requires treatment, even a potentially dangerous one.
    my dad has that and I think he had the same symptoms or at least very similar ones, he now uses a breathing machine while he sleeps.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Sometimes, and I mean, just throwing this out there but sometimes, doctors actually know more than random folks on forums. Sometimes they don't know, but they know who to refer you to that does. In any case, it's better than sitting around trying to guess what a doctor might advise, deciding you don't want that, and living with the problem, convinced you can't be helped.

Are you afraid of doctors?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Sometimes, and I mean, just throwing this out there but sometimes, doctors actually know more than random folks on forums. Sometimes they don't know, but they know who to refer you to that does. In any case, it's better than sitting around trying to guess what a doctor might advise, deciding you don't want that, and living with the problem, convinced you can't be helped.
    Priceless advice.

Are you afraid of doctors?
    This is very interesting, because I must assume many people are based on what I have seen over the course of my life. Somehow I always end up going to doctors appointments with people, if they need a ride, if it's a loved one I volunteer to go and advocate, etc. I am always surprised at (1) how little most people tell their doctors, (2) how willingly most people accept the first thing that comes out of the doctor's mouth, and (3) how little research is done before or after the visit.

Remember, it's YOUR HEALTH, and YOUR BODY, and the doctor's job is to help YOU to MANAGE it all. You have the right to say "No." You have the right to ask questions.

BUT - you are also charged with having the perserverance needed to get through "gatekeeper processes" (physical therapy, x-rays before MRIs, Rx meds before treatment, etc.) in order to get the therapy YOU WANT instead of the therapy THEY OFFER. Insurance is about UTILIZATION MANAGEMENT. Each HMO gets paid UPFRONT for EVERY ENROLLED MEMEBR in EVERY MONTH of the YEAR. So, the less they can spend on you over any future period of time = MORE PROFIT.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTx

Do you snore?

It's quite possibly a breathing problem. If you snore loudly or get short of breath your sleep will be frequently interrupted.