User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Default High Blood Pressure

Got some tips from here but want something more personalised. The last few times I've had blood pressure tests they've been high. I had another one today and it was higher than it's been before, it wasn't taken by a doctor but the person who took it was concerned. Recently I've been unable to exercise (getting back to that tomorrow hopefully) and have been stressed.

I want to know the best ways of controlling it (don't tell me to stop being stressed though, I already know that one) and what I should be concerned about as I really know nothing about blood pressure issues, I've read wiki and crap like that but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Mines like 140/84 and that is borderline they say, seems to get to 125-132/80 when I'm not stressed and when I'm stressed goes higher.
    I gather it has much to do with good fitness and diet and lack of stressful places. Ha but me stressed so I'm hardly one to offer good info.

i'm sure you're aware of foods that help lower blood pressure
    and foods you should avoid, based on the resources you've
    listed.

but if you can't give up salt,
    just try to avoid iodized/table salt and opt for sea salt.
    celtic sea salt is best.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Mines like 140/84 and that is borderline they say, seems to get to 125-132/80 when I'm not stressed and when I'm stressed goes higher.
    I gather it has much to do with good fitness and diet and lack of stressful places. Ha but me stressed so I'm hardly one to offer good info.
    Mine wasn't borderline, it was high, he took it twice, it did go down but the second time it was still high at 151/100. Very high.

Last time a doc took it (couple of months ago) I don't remember exactly what it was but I think the first time he took it the diastolic score was 90 something. Also high. He wasn't too concerned as it came down to the 80s the second time he took it, he suggested it's because I hadn't met him before so may have been anxious. His reasoning doesn't sound right for me but I accepted it as I knew no better. Now that it's even higher it's concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i'm sure you're aware of foods that help lower blood pressure
    and foods you should avoid, based on the resources you've
    listed.

but if you can't give up salt,
    just try to avoid iodized/table salt and opt for sea salt.
    celtic sea salt is best.
    Not really, I know salt is bad but the stuff I read talked more about what is normal and the medical issues it can cause.

I'm fine with avoiding anything, if it'll have an impact.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Mine wasn't borderline, it was high, he took it twice, it did go down but the second time it was still high at 151/100. Very high.

Last time a doc took it (couple of months ago) I don't remember exactly what it was but I think the first time he took it the diastolic score was 90 something. Also high. He wasn't too concerned as it came down to the 80s the second time he took it, he suggested it's because I hadn't met him before so may have been anxious. His reasoning doesn't sound right for me but I accepted it as I knew no better. Now that it's even higher it's concerning.
    Yeah fair enough, unsure how to help. its like my brother only started to give momentary concern about my health when my initial reading went to 145/86 once. Then I went back to reasonable and he lost interest.

I would suggest less stress more something. Whats stressful in your life?

Remove sugar out of your diet, start eating natural sugars. Avoid alcohol, cordial, soft drinks and the like. Sugar is in everything in high proportions unnecessarily so in my opinion. Any wonder peoples metabolism does strange things to them. More complex carbohydrates like wholemeal and brown rice less carbohydrates like white bread and white rice.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    I would suggest less stress more something. Whats stressful in your life?
    Too many things to get into, I'm not passive about my stress though, I'm working to reduce it and ideally that's the long term solution but it's not gonna happen tomorrow.

Remove sugar out of your diet, start eating natural sugars. Avoid alcohol, cordial, soft drinks and the like. Sugar is in everything in high proportions unnecessarily so in my opinion. Any wonder peoples metabolism does strange things to them. More complex carbohydrates like wholemeal and brown rice less carbohydrates like white bread and white rice.
    No sugar drinks or sweets, increase fruit, wholemeal not white. Check.

MBTI
    ISTx

Mine usually hovers in the 140's/80's, which is borderline. I've had readings in the 150's/90's before though... I've had borderline readings since I was about 15 years old and all throughout the military when I've been in my best shape. I think for me, stress is the biggest factor that affects my numbers.

My dad had polycystic kidney disease until he received a transplant about 3 years ago. It's possible that I have the disease as well and that that's the reason for my elevated blood pressure. I haven't done any tests yet to determine if that's so.

Definitely don't just decide to try to fix this on your own. There may be a reason your blood pressure is elevated, which would be something a professional doc would need to diagnose and treat. Better safe than sorry. Definitely go see a doc. Also the obvious, watch your diet and try to exercise for at least 30 mins a day.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I would buy yourself a blood pressure machine Trinity, they aren't expensive anymore and take your own reading three times a day for a month to track a true baseline blood pressure.

Mine is always higher in the Dr's office or when someone else takes it. When I do it myself at home, it's good.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I would buy yourself a blood pressure machine Trinity, they aren't expensive anymore and take your own reading three times a day for a month to track a true baseline blood pressure.

Mine is always higher in the Dr's office or when someone else takes it. When I do it myself at home, it's good.
    I did the same thing for my partner (bought him an at home blood pressure machine). He hates the doctor and turned out his blood pressure would spike while he was there.

Of course, turned out even at home it was high enough to require medication, but at least we were working from good data at that point.

MBTI
    ISTx

PeaceBaby raises a good point with mentioning the White Coat Syndrome, where your readings are higher and sometimes significantly higher in a medical facility setting, or just somewhere that isn't relaxed and free of distractions.

Two consecutive readings that appear high aren't enough to put a stamp of a high blood pressure diagnosis on your record. You'd need to monitor your BP (preferably from home, and obviously with a machine that you know is calibrated/working properly) 3 times a day (once in the morning, afternoon and then evening). Also, be in a seated/restful position for about 10 minutes prior to hitting the "Go" button on the machine.

Report back with your readings!