User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

You've likely heard it before, but substituting my bicycle for my automobile did wonders for my cardiovascular health.

I went from high borderline to low borderline with two years of bicycle commuting (30-45 minutes a day).

---

Also, recent studies have demonstrated that a daily glass of red wine or beer can keep stress and blood pressure low.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Well, the only thing you really can do is eliminate all of your modifiable risk factors. Birth control, being overwight, smoking, high sodium and fat intake, and inactivity to name a few. We don't have to tell you to reduce stress. But...it will still raise your blood pressure, so if that is your only risk factor, then you must find a way to reduce the stress. There's no tips or tricks around this fact. If all of these don't help, you may have to go on blood pressure meds. I'm not sure of your exact scenario, but treatment is about as straight forward as it looks.

My favorite antidote for any health problem is exercise (cardio). It will help you to reduce stress, directly improve your cardiovascular health, and also has the added benefit of lowering bad cholesterol, while raising good cholesterol, which will also help you to lower your BP.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Exercise is the best thing for your blood pressure, seriously. Find a way to exercise. The last time I had my blood pressure checked it was "even better than it's supposed to be."

I put olive oil on everything (supposed to counteract bad cholesterol), eat lots of fruits and vegetables, try to get beaucoup fiber...um, take deep breaths and try getting outside or doing something to clear your mind as well even if you can't cut stress out of your life.

Oh yeah, I also drink wine regularly. Red wine is the best.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Mine wasn't borderline, it was high, he took it twice, it did go down but the second time it was still high at 151/100. Very high.

Last time a doc took it (couple of months ago) I don't remember exactly what it was but I think the first time he took it the diastolic score was 90 something. Also high. He wasn't too concerned as it came down to the 80s the second time he took it, he suggested it's because I hadn't met him before so may have been anxious. His reasoning doesn't sound right for me but I accepted it as I knew no better. Now that it's even higher it's concerning.

Not really, I know salt is bad but the stuff I read talked more about what is normal and the medical issues it can cause.

I'm fine with avoiding anything, if it'll have an impact.
    Oh, I just read this. His reasoning is actually very sound. Blood pressure can be affected by so many things. If your diastolic came down the next time he took it, than likely you were just anxious. This happens all the time. You need a few readings on different occasions to be classified as high blood pressure. However, being interested in your blood pressure and methods of maintaining your cardiovascular health will be very beneficial to you in the long run.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

My blood pressure spikes like crazy when I don't like the doctor who takes it, or when I'm in a situation I don't like, for example, the hospital. They're always very concerned, and then I tell them to shut the lights off and go away for 10 minutes, and when they come back in, be quiet and just go about their business, and it's 125/85, which for me is more than fine.

I used to go to an allergist that I couldn't stand, and she took my blood pressure at every visit and was convinced I had high blood pressure, bugged me to the point I handed her the phone to call my doctor. He assured her my blood pressure is fine in his office.

It really can be very situational.

Exercise to improve blood flow and body composition. And changes in your diet. Here is a booklet outlining ways of working diet changes into your lifestyle nblhi dash diet. Fish oil has been proven to slightly lower blood pressure as it improves blood flow. Exercise and diet modification mainly, as far as stress goes it is probably easier to think of ways of dealing with the stress in your life than reducing it. Recovery from the stress, giving yourself time to recover, that is more doable.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I take medication for high BP. IMO, high blood pressure is such a strain on the heart over time (and mine is a bit iffy to begin with) that the medication is a no-brainer for me. If your BP stays high you might choose to medicate, too. Do you find your ankles swelling at the end of the day? A medication with HCTZ (hydrochlorothyazide) is probably what you would be prescribed. Otherwise you may be prescribed an ACE inhibitor, which (among other things) causes more salt to be excreted in urine. I take a combo medication called Prinzide which has both HCTZ and an ACE inhibitor in it.

Besides that, lifestyle is of course a big part of controlling BP. Cutting back on salt, increasing your intake of fibrous fresh fruits/vegetables, exercise, weight loss if you're carrying any extra, etc. When my blood pressure first started spiking, I was pregnant so my midwife didn't want to start me on medication then. She "prescribed" a watermelon a day. Watermelon is an amazing diuretic and that helps control the BP. Oddly enough, so are whole eggs (not just egg whites). So she also "prescribed" 6 eggs a day, short term, to keep my BP down so I would not develop preeclampsia (a complicated form of high BP that only happens during pregnancy). After the baby was born she said that I should continue to eat eggs a few times a week because the specific combination of proteins in eggs can reduce blood pressure by as much as 20%. My cholesterol is awesome so that was not part of the equation for me; if your cholesterol is high then you might want to limit eggs too.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Just went poking around to back up my assertions about eggs, and found some good news.

Fried eggs could help keep blood-pressure down - Telegraph

Fried eggs work best! God I love fried eggs. And the type of cholesterol in eggs has little or no ill effect on the heart! So, in summary, try this strategy:

• More eggs
    • Bigger eggs
    • Eat eggs every day
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Better safe than sorry. Definitely go see a doc. Also the obvious, watch your diet and try to exercise for at least 30 mins a day.
    Def will do, just want to educate myself about before I do that, I'm yet to find a doc that I can call my own and build a medical history with so I feel like their main aim much of the time is to be a drug dispensing machine so they get kick-backs. I don't trust them to give me the best solution all of the time. Diet and exercise are easy things to change in the meantime. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I would buy yourself a blood pressure machine Trinity, they aren't expensive anymore and take your own reading three times a day for a month to track a true baseline blood pressure.
    Had a quick look and can pick them up for $50 or so, never would have thought of that, cool.

PeaceBaby raises a good point with mentioning the White Coat Syndrome, where your readings are higher and sometimes significantly higher in a medical facility setting, or just somewhere that isn't relaxed and free of distractions.
    Well I feel like I'm relaxed, yesterday it was with a gym instructor doing a health check so I have no idea why I'd be anxious.

Report back with your readings!
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    Also, recent studies have demonstrated that a daily glass of red wine or beer can keep stress and blood pressure low.
    AWESOME! That's actually one thing that I have changed, I did use to drink a glass most nights but I haven't for quite some time, and I figured not drinking alcohol was a good thing so let it go, my wine collection has been growing too much and I recon it's time I cleared out some space in my wine cabinet!

Gym membership is another area that has changed, I stopped doing what I was doing (3-4 times a week) in April as I was no longer enjoying it and not getting the results that I wanted, within myself I feel as though it's had a massive impact, I'm not at all comfortable with not exercising and have but on some weight. I've been checking out new gyms and have a trial for a new one tonight, hopefully it's a go-er, if so exercising every day won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Well, the only thing you really can do is eliminate all of your modifiable risk factors. Birth control, being overwight, smoking, high sodium and fat intake, and inactivity to name a few. We don't have to tell you to reduce stress. But...it will still raise your blood pressure, so if that is your only risk factor, then you must find a way to reduce the stress.
    Don't smoke, dunno what sodium is in, don't have a high fat intake but have been inactive lately which has impacted my weight as stated above. I have also started taking birth control, which I guess may be having an impact =/ I do think stress is a major factor but other things are clearly having an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    My favorite antidote for any health problem is exercise (cardio). It will help you to reduce stress, directly improve your cardiovascular health, and also has the added benefit of lowering bad cholesterol, while raising good cholesterol, which will also help you to lower your BP.
    Agree completely, I miss not exercising.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I put olive oil on everything (supposed to counteract bad cholesterol), eat lots of fruits and vegetables, try to get beaucoup fiber...um, take deep breaths and try getting outside or doing something to clear your mind as well even if you can't cut stress out of your life.

Oh yeah, I also drink wine regularly. Red wine is the best.
    Olive oil, fruit, fibre, relax, wine... check.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Here is a booklet outlining ways of working diet changes into your lifestyle nblhi dash diet. Fish oil has been proven to slightly lower blood pressure as it improves blood flow. Exercise and diet modification mainly, as far as stress goes it is probably easier to think of ways of dealing with the stress in your life than reducing it. Recovery from the stress, giving yourself time to recover, that is more doable.
    Wicked, thanks! I won't do fish oil, cause of the vegetarian thang but the DASH eating plan looks good. Exercise helps me with stress so getting back into that will have an impact in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Do you find your ankles swelling at the end of the day?
    Nope.

I take medication for high BP. IMO, high blood pressure is such a strain on the heart over time (and mine is a bit iffy to begin with) that the medication is a no-brainer for me. If your BP stays high you might choose to medicate, too.
    I'd always prefer to avoid medication, but sometimes it is the best answer.

• More eggs
    • Bigger eggs
    • Eat eggs every day
    Awesome, I can do that in my sleep!! Poached eggs on a muffin for breakfast, lunch and tea is teh best!
    • Will get my own monitor.
    • Join a gym *fingers crossed it's the one I go to tonight*
    • Eat more fresh fruit (watermelon when possible)
    • Go over the DASH eating plan so it can be included in my diet
    • Hug my kittens more often to reduce stress
    • Drink a glass of wine approximately each night
    • Eat more eggs
    • Learn what sodium is
    • Increase olive oil in diet
    • Follow up with a doc if it doesn't come down and then consider medication

THANKS guys!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Def will do, just want to educate myself about before I do that, I'm yet to find a doc that I can call my own and build a medical history with so I feel like their main aim much of the time is to be a drug dispensing machine so they get kick-backs. I don't trust them to give me the best solution all of the time. Diet and exercise are easy things to change in the meantime. Thanks.

Had a quick look and can pick them up for $50 or so, never would have thought of that, cool.

Well I feel like I'm relaxed, yesterday it was with a gym instructor doing a health check so I have no idea why I'd be anxious.

Will do!

AWESOME! That's actually one thing that I have changed, I did use to drink a glass most nights but I haven't for quite some time, and I figured not drinking alcohol was a good thing so let it go, my wine collection has been growing too much and I recon it's time I cleared out some space in my wine cabinet!

Gym membership is another area that has changed, I stopped doing what I was doing (3-4 times a week) in April as I was no longer enjoying it and not getting the results that I wanted, within myself I feel as though it's had a massive impact, I'm not at all comfortable with not exercising and have but on some weight. I've been checking out new gyms and have a trial for a new one tonight, hopefully it's a go-er, if so exercising every day won't be an issue.

Don't smoke, dunno what sodium is in, don't have a high fat intake but have been inactive lately which has impacted my weight as stated above. I have also started taking birth control, which I guess may be having an impact =/ I do think stress is a major factor but other things are clearly having an impact.

Agree completely, I miss not exercising.

Olive oil, fruit, fibre, relax, wine... check.

Wicked, thanks! I won't do fish oil, cause of the vegetarian thang but the DASH eating plan looks good. Exercise helps me with stress so getting back into that will have an impact in that respect.

Nope.

I'd always prefer to avoid medication, but sometimes it is the best answer.

Awesome, I can do that in my sleep!! Poached eggs on a muffin for breakfast, lunch and tea is teh best!
    • Will get my own monitor.
    • Join a gym *fingers crossed it's the one I go to tonight*
    • Eat more fresh fruit (watermelon when possible)
    • Go over the DASH eating plan so it can be included in my diet
    • Hug my kittens more often to reduce stress
    • Drink a glass of wine approximately each night
    • Eat more eggs
    • Learn what sodium is
    • Increase olive oil in diet
    • Follow up with a doc if it doesn't come down and then consider medication

THANKS guys!
    Sodium is just salt- normal intake is about 2400 mg daily, just make sure you check labels before you buy things. Canned stuff is the biggest culprit, don't add table salt to your normal food, etc. Most people are wayyy over in their salt intake, (including myself) as things are really saturated with it nowadays. I love your plan!

The only reason you should need to go on meds is if you have some kind of a genetic problem of high cholesterol or anything that causes high blood pressure. Otherwise, simply changing some little things should help.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.