User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I don't have a car, so I walk everywhere.
    That's good Tbh if you walk a LOT it may be better exercise than jogging, especially if you have to jog on hard surfaces a lot, which puts extra strain on the knees. Have you considered "Power Walking?" as an alternative to jogging, at least temporarily? It doesn't have the impact problems associated with jogging, and is still decent aerobic exercise.

Either way, some kind of muscle stretching is essential, remember that running and jogging only tighten the muscles, whereas walking and stretching exercises help to loosen and lengthen them. Even walking faster and taking bigger strides than most people are in the habit of doing can produce benefits in this regard. Otherwise warmup exercises to loosen the muscles before jogging are the way to go if you want to continue doing it. Tight muscles just aggravate joint strain. You may get muscle damage too which leads to reduced flexibility, hence further problems in future.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    That's good Tbh if you walk a LOT it may be better exercise than jogging, especially if you have to jog on hard surfaces a lot, which puts extra strain on the knees. Have you considered "Power Walking?" as an alternative to jogging, at least temporarily? It doesn't have the impact problems associated with jogging, and is still decent aerobic exercise.

Either way, some kind of muscle stretching is essential, remember that running and jogging only tighten the muscles, whereas walking and stretching exercises help to loosen and lengthen them. Even walking faster and taking bigger strides than most people are in the habit of doing can produce benefits in this regard. Otherwise warmup exercises to loosen the muscles before jogging are the way to go if you want to continue doing it. Tight muscles just aggravate joint strain. You may get muscle damage too which leads to reduced flexibility, hence further problems in future.
    I do stretch before and after jogging, and i do warm up i was able to jog more today but then my knee started screaming in pain and i felt like i could keep going if my knee wasn't hurting. but I usually jog three blocks in the beginning but today i do 4 then i walk a block jog a block but i think i did more jogging then walking today. And by walk i mean a power walk.

MBTI
    GOAT
    Enneagram
    DUNO
    Socionics
    FOFF

TMUSCLE.com | Hips Don't Lie: Fixing Your Force Couples

The reason most people have knee pain (as well as other common injuries such as low back pain and hamstring strains) is their posture is out of wack.

In particular the majority of people are in anterior pelvic tilt because we live such sedentary lifestyles. Basically anterior pelvic tilt is caused because the hip extensors are weak and the hip flexors are tight which is developed from sitting posture (...even 'good' sitting posture). To correct it you basically want to focus on improving the length (stretching) of the hip flexors and quadriceps and improving strength of the gluteals, hamstrings and abdominals to achieve a neutral pelvis (exercises are mentioned in the article I linked above). When people go and play sport or do some other high impact exercise like running, without doing anything to correct APT and repeat it enough they're just asking for trouble in the way of knee pain, lower back pain, hamstring strains etc.

There are some good authors that address corrective exercise topics well - in particular I'd recommend reading Eric Cressey, Mike Robertson and Mike Boyle's material as they all write in an easy to understand and very engaging manner.

MBTI
    yupp

it turns out my knee pain is somewhat genetic. And my mom said she has the same kind of knee problem and that a stretchy thing that goes over the knee helps her and she told me to go buy one and put it on so my knee can heal then after that every time I exercise.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

You really should go to an orthopedist just once to get a professional opinion and an xray to see what's going on in there. Don't keep running on it, even with a knee brace, is my advice (free, gratis, and for what it's worth). (I just spent two months recovering from total knee replacement surgery...)

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I had the same problem in my right knee, until I changed how I stretched it. Now I sit on the floor and touch my right foot with my left hand. This has made a big difference, and reduced the pain a lot.

MBTI
    IntP
    Enneagram
    =)
    Socionics
    =)

First of all, get it checked out. You don't want to mess with your joints... I've never had knee problems (knock on wood), but my right wrist is finicky and I'm always careful with it.

Second, try incline power walking. It has a lower impact than jogging, but should still get your heart rate up just as much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Seriously, Purple, take heed of what you're hearing from people here. Jogging (especially on a hard surface) is one of the highest-impact forms of exercise on the knees that there is, if not the highest. If you're getting problems as bad as this I'm not sure if it's worth continuing with the activity, especially if your main reason for doing it is to feel you're getting some exercise. There are many other ways to exercise yourself (including power walking) which have similar beneficial effects without risking your long term health and mobility.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP

As others have said, trust your body.

"No pain, no gain" may be catchy, but I believe the myriad of serious athletic injuries in the pursuit of "gain" should be quite sufficient to dispel this dogma, especially in this modern era.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Are you getting enough potassium? Whenever I feel some kind of joint pain I go find a banana to eat and I'm totally fine.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)