• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What made my INTJ friend to start marathon training..

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
so INTJmom, I asked my friend :D But I can't find the thread where we discussed it..

so, he told what was his motivation to start marathon training.

First of all he realized the need for exercise.

Then .. and this is a strange mind trick he did.. and I wonder why he felt the need to do this..

but, he felt the need for another reason to run than simply the "need" to run. So he invented that he would train a lot in preparation for a marathon. Hence, he decided that he'll run a marathon so he'll train for some goal.

Yet, running the marathon had the goal of making him run.. and he's quite smart enough to know the circular logic.

I'm baffled, but that's it.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I guess it only makes sense to INTJs because it makes perfect sense to me! LOL! :smile:

If I want to get anything done, I must have a deadline. Then, I pace myself, and manage my time accordingly. So setting his sights on getting ready for a marathon that has a definite deadline date, makes a lot of sense to me.

I guess my deadline is my 50th birthday which is in a little less than 13 months away. I think that's a reasonable amount of time for someone my age to lose 20 lbs.

My problem is that I really want to know the most efficient way of doing it. I can't afford to waste time and energy doing things that are ineffective. I really should go see the trainer my chiropractor recommended. I didn't want to spend the money, but I really should.

Thanks for checking with your friend and getting back to me. It's good to verify that having a deadline will help me stick to it.

See, I'm like your friend. I know I should exercise and lose weight, but I know I can't make myself stay on a routine unless there is a goal date - a deadline. There's something about thinking that the work is never ending that is de-motivating. Once I get healthy, I'm going to take care of myself because of all the work it required to get that way. (Unless of course, I get severely depressed and eat 20 bags of pretzels in 3 months - then I'll gain it all back.) But let's not think about that.:blush: I've been doing much better. That's a lot less likely to happen.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
He's also told many people about the marathon, so that he'll feel obliged to run. I didn't ask whether he planned that from the start; but that's what happened after he announced running it.

Now, I think that it isn't entirely motivating factor.. knowing what will come of it, I wouldn't announce doing stuff I wasn't sure of.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yet, running the marathon had the goal of making him run.. and he's quite smart enough to know the circular logic.

Personally, I'm not baffled, I'm envious :D I *wish* I could play such tricks on myself. I've tried, but my mind just won't let me :cry:

I envy INTJs... sometimes :smile:

armstrongvk12

MBTI Type
ENxJ

Then .. and this is a strange mind trick he did.. and I wonder why he felt the need to do this..

but, he felt the need for another reason to run than simply the "need" to run. So he invented that he would train a lot in preparation for a marathon. Hence, he decided that he'll run a marathon so he'll train for some goal.

Running a marathon (hopefully he signed up...so he doesn't change his mind!) locks you into completing the goal. It is not totally about running the actual race. It is about the structure and motivation to train for the race, as well as the mindset you must maintain to get yourself through the training...not to mention the finish line. Completing a race like this (was for me at least) one of the most freeing experiences I have ever had. After finishing a marathon, you really DO believe that you can do anything. And you can! :party2:

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Running a marathon (hopefully he signed up...so he doesn't change his mind!) locks you into completing the goal.
You've never talked to my mind, obviously :D The more you try to "lock it" into doing something, the more it will look for ways to get out of it :rolleyes: The simplest being that doing a no-show isn't a crime and isn't going to cost me anything beyond the subscription fee.

armstrongvk12

MBTI Type
ENxJ
You've never talked to my mind, obviously :D The more you try to "lock it" into doing something, the more it will look for ways to get out of it :rolleyes: The simplest being that doing a no-show isn't a crime and isn't going to cost me anything beyond the subscription fee.
I think if you are a "J"...and you signed up for it....you'll most likely show up to the marathon. You can always "no show," but the fee for a marathon is heftier than say a 5K. Plus....you will lose face by telling everyone that you signed up...and then no-showed.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think if you are a "J"...and you signed up for it....you'll most likely show up to the marathon.
You don't know me :devil: As long as my not showing up doesn't affect anyone else negatively, it's no problem for me.

You can always "no show," but the fee for a marathon is heftier than say a 5K. Plus....you will lose face by telling everyone that you signed up...and then no-showed.
I'd rather lose face this way than by making an abysmal time on the marathon...

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
You don't know me :devil: As long as my not showing up doesn't affect anyone else negatively, it's no problem for me.

I'd rather lose face this way than by making an abysmal time on the marathon...

*lol* Sign up with a friend who'll do a worse time than you :devil:

Or alternatively. Set a time you yourself want to beat vs competing against a field, some of whom would be professionals.

One of my goals for 2008 is to do part of a marathon too. :yes: I'm not going to try for a full one though. I'd still like to see 2009.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
*lol* Sign up with a friend who'll do a worse time than you :devil:
I couldn't bear to leave them behind :rolleyes:

Or alternatively. Set a time you yourself want to beat vs competing against a field, some of whom would be professionals.
But why would I WANT to beat a specific time??

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I couldn't bear to leave them behind :rolleyes:

just stay with them but cross the line one step ahead. *darn I need an angel emoticon*

But why would I WANT to beat a specific time??

Because it is a more realistic goal than benchmarking yourself against some professional, for me at least. :yes: Sometimes if I set too high a goal, it becomes hard to even start because my mind recognises that I cannot reach it anyway, so I can't fool it to get started.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
An INFJ needs to have their own personal internal reason for setting such a difficult goal and pursuing it. Marathons aren't for everyone.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Running a marathon (hopefully he signed up...so he doesn't change his mind!) locks you into completing the goal. It is not totally about running the actual race. It is about the structure and motivation to train for the race, as well as the mindset you must maintain to get yourself through the training...not to mention the finish line. Completing a race like this (was for me at least) one of the most freeing experiences I have ever had. After finishing a marathon, you really DO believe that you can do anything. And you can! :party2:
Exactly.

And, oddly enough, notta and I start training for the Baltimore Marathon in two weeks (the marathon is near the end of summer).

:headphne:

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
An INFJ needs to have their own personal internal reason for setting such a difficult goal and pursuing it.
Unfortunately, yes. I'd so LOVE to be able to set good goals and be able to stick to them "just because". But it just doesn't work :( My mind just keeps asking "But WHY?? Why why why why why why on Earth should I approve of the mobilisation of so many resources towards that goal?? I just don't see that it's worth it!!"

Marathons aren't for everyone.
To be honest, when I think of a marathon, it's not even the difficulty that comes first to my mind, it's the utter boring-ness of it :shock: Spending half-a-day running, swimming and cycling just for the sake of it, ewww, bo-ring :rolli:

I'm weird, I know :huh:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Running a marathon (hopefully he signed up...so he doesn't change his mind!) locks you into completing the goal.
He won't.. he won't announce anything he isn't very certain to accomplish..
It is not totally about running the actual race. It is about the structure and motivation to train for the race,
Come on, you're getting me un-motivated !
as well as the mindset you must maintain to get yourself through the training...not to mention the finish line. Completing a race like this (was for me at least) one of the most freeing experiences I have ever had. After finishing a marathon, you really DO believe that you can do anything. And you can! :party2:
Hm, this sounds good. It's also nice to accomplish something that many people don't do. I'm motivated by the idea that it's yet another "test" for me, and I love tests.

I also think there's still some special merit in doing it.. and I've thought of myself as extremely endurance type person, so I wanna do it, as there's not many accomplishments in sport that I can do particularly well. I like the sporty lifestyle, too.. no, I don't mean the training gear or new shoes as a lifestyle.. I mean actually going out there and doing something. It maintains good feeling to exercise regularly, and vigorously. Not anything super, just the basic normal good feeling there is from just being alive and kicking, and having your heart pump blood etc..

Of course I love accomplishing something. I have athletic (borderline skinny) build, with no apparent muscle mass. I don't like the idea that only bulky bodybuilders are popularly (and immediately) considered as capable sportsmen.. tho I get it that they have distinctive appearance, something that sets them apart from tennis players etc. For me, sports are a way of life.. tho I'm not competetive, I just do it for myself. It's just that I want to be recognized for what I am, fitness enthusiast. People think it's silly to walk and ride (with a bicycle) to most of the places, when you could just take a bus or use a car. I wan't some respect! :steam:

But most of all, I just want to see how good I am in this sport. I'm not sure I'll be bothered to train as regularly as my friend.. I'm just aiming to get it under 4 hours.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
so INTJmom, I asked my friend :D But I can't find the thread where we discussed it..

so, he told what was his motivation to start marathon training.

Makes sense. My boyfriend (INFJ/ISFJ borderline dude) runs marathons and is about to start training for a triathlon. He likes a goal associated with running, instead of just running for the heck of it. It's motivating for him.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Unfortunately, yes. I'd so LOVE to be able to set good goals and be able to stick to them "just because". But it just doesn't work :( My mind just keeps asking "But WHY?? Why why why why why why on Earth should I approve of the mobilisation of so many resources towards that goal?? I just don't see that it's worth it!!"

To be honest, when I think of a marathon, it's not even the difficulty that comes first to my mind, it's the utter boring-ness of it :shock: Spending half-a-day running, swimming and cycling just for the sake of it, ewww, bo-ring :rolli:

I'm weird, I know :huh:
You're not weird to me. :hug:
I'm an INFJ on the inside, so I understand how you feel.
I have to have reason and purpose to do things, too.
This causes a real problem when needing to de-clutter the basement! :shock:

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
You're not weird to me. :hug:
I'm an INFJ on the inside, so I understand how you feel.
Aw, thanks :wubbie:

I have to have reason and purpose to do things, too.
This causes a real problem when needing to de-clutter the basement! :shock:
Tell me about it :rolli:

Here are two suggestions off the top of my mind for your basement-decluttering challenge:

1- Think of all the "lost" stuff you're going to "find" again :D Old pics of your kids? Old family heirlooms? That sewing machine you've been waiting to find again so you can start that craft project you've been thinking of for so long?

2- Have a plan for "re-claiming" that basement once it's decluttered. Would you like to turn (part of) it into a play room, maybe? A craft room? An office? A gym? If the point is to declutter just for the sake of decluttering... Ugh :huh:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Actually #2 is what's working for me. I want my sons to have a place to "hang out" and have their friends over.

50% of the stuff is going to have to go.
My new question is: "If we had a fire, would I miss this?"
You can get rid of a LOT of stuff with THAT question! LOL!

armstrongvk12

MBTI Type
ENxJ
I'm motivated by the idea that it's yet another "test" for me, and I love tests.
It truly is a test....of your mind, body and spirit.

I have athletic (borderline skinny) build, with no apparent muscle mass.
It sounds like you have the perfect build to be a long distance runner.

But most of all, I just want to see how good I am in this sport. I'm not sure I'll be bothered to train as regularly as my friend.. I'm just aiming to get it under 4 hours.
That's the reason that I ran a marathon...just to see if I could do it. Finishing in 4 hours would be a great time. :run: