User Tag List

123 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default What made my INTJ friend to start marathon training..

so INTJmom, I asked my friend But I can't find the thread where we discussed it..

so, he told what was his motivation to start marathon training.

First of all he realized the need for exercise.

Then .. and this is a strange mind trick he did.. and I wonder why he felt the need to do this..

but, he felt the need for another reason to run than simply the "need" to run. So he invented that he would train a lot in preparation for a marathon. Hence, he decided that he'll run a marathon so he'll train for some goal.

Yet, running the marathon had the goal of making him run.. and he's quite smart enough to know the circular logic.

I'm baffled, but that's it.

MBTI
    INTJ

I guess it only makes sense to INTJs because it makes perfect sense to me! LOL!

If I want to get anything done, I must have a deadline. Then, I pace myself, and manage my time accordingly. So setting his sights on getting ready for a marathon that has a definite deadline date, makes a lot of sense to me.

I guess my deadline is my 50th birthday which is in a little less than 13 months away. I think that's a reasonable amount of time for someone my age to lose 20 lbs.

My problem is that I really want to know the most efficient way of doing it. I can't afford to waste time and energy doing things that are ineffective. I really should go see the trainer my chiropractor recommended. I didn't want to spend the money, but I really should.

Thanks for checking with your friend and getting back to me. It's good to verify that having a deadline will help me stick to it.

See, I'm like your friend. I know I should exercise and lose weight, but I know I can't make myself stay on a routine unless there is a goal date - a deadline. There's something about thinking that the work is never ending that is de-motivating. Once I get healthy, I'm going to take care of myself because of all the work it required to get that way. (Unless of course, I get severely depressed and eat 20 bags of pretzels in 3 months - then I'll gain it all back.) But let's not think about that. I've been doing much better. That's a lot less likely to happen.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

He's also told many people about the marathon, so that he'll feel obliged to run. I didn't ask whether he planned that from the start; but that's what happened after he announced running it.

Now, I think that it isn't entirely motivating factor.. knowing what will come of it, I wouldn't announce doing stuff I wasn't sure of.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Yet, running the marathon had the goal of making him run.. and he's quite smart enough to know the circular logic.

I'm baffled, but that's it.
    Personally, I'm not baffled, I'm envious I *wish* I could play such tricks on myself. I've tried, but my mind just won't let me

I envy INTJs... sometimes

MBTI
    ENxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    First of all he realized the need for exercise.

Then .. and this is a strange mind trick he did.. and I wonder why he felt the need to do this..

but, he felt the need for another reason to run than simply the "need" to run. So he invented that he would train a lot in preparation for a marathon. Hence, he decided that he'll run a marathon so he'll train for some goal.

Running a marathon (hopefully he signed up...so he doesn't change his mind!) locks you into completing the goal. It is not totally about running the actual race. It is about the structure and motivation to train for the race, as well as the mindset you must maintain to get yourself through the training...not to mention the finish line. Completing a race like this (was for me at least) one of the most freeing experiences I have ever had. After finishing a marathon, you really DO believe that you can do anything. And you can!

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by armstrongvk12 View Post
    Running a marathon (hopefully he signed up...so he doesn't change his mind!) locks you into completing the goal.
    You've never talked to my mind, obviously The more you try to "lock it" into doing something, the more it will look for ways to get out of it The simplest being that doing a no-show isn't a crime and isn't going to cost me anything beyond the subscription fee.

MBTI
    ENxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    You've never talked to my mind, obviously The more you try to "lock it" into doing something, the more it will look for ways to get out of it The simplest being that doing a no-show isn't a crime and isn't going to cost me anything beyond the subscription fee.
    I think if you are a "J"...and you signed up for it....you'll most likely show up to the marathon. You can always "no show," but the fee for a marathon is heftier than say a 5K. Plus....you will lose face by telling everyone that you signed up...and then no-showed.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by armstrongvk12 View Post
    I think if you are a "J"...and you signed up for it....you'll most likely show up to the marathon.
    You don't know me As long as my not showing up doesn't affect anyone else negatively, it's no problem for me.

You can always "no show," but the fee for a marathon is heftier than say a 5K. Plus....you will lose face by telling everyone that you signed up...and then no-showed.
    I'd rather lose face this way than by making an abysmal time on the marathon...

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    You don't know me As long as my not showing up doesn't affect anyone else negatively, it's no problem for me.

I'd rather lose face this way than by making an abysmal time on the marathon...
    *lol* Sign up with a friend who'll do a worse time than you

Or alternatively. Set a time you yourself want to beat vs competing against a field, some of whom would be professionals.

One of my goals for 2008 is to do part of a marathon too. I'm not going to try for a full one though. I'd still like to see 2009.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    *lol* Sign up with a friend who'll do a worse time than you
    I couldn't bear to leave them behind

Or alternatively. Set a time you yourself want to beat vs competing against a field, some of whom would be professionals.
    But why would I WANT to beat a specific time??