User Tag List

First 1234 Last

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    I couldn't bear to leave them behind
    just stay with them but cross the line one step ahead. *darn I need an angel emoticon*

But why would I WANT to beat a specific time??
    Because it is a more realistic goal than benchmarking yourself against some professional, for me at least. Sometimes if I set too high a goal, it becomes hard to even start because my mind recognises that I cannot reach it anyway, so I can't fool it to get started.

MBTI
    INTJ

An INFJ needs to have their own personal internal reason for setting such a difficult goal and pursuing it. Marathons aren't for everyone.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by armstrongvk12 View Post
    Running a marathon (hopefully he signed up...so he doesn't change his mind!) locks you into completing the goal. It is not totally about running the actual race. It is about the structure and motivation to train for the race, as well as the mindset you must maintain to get yourself through the training...not to mention the finish line. Completing a race like this (was for me at least) one of the most freeing experiences I have ever had. After finishing a marathon, you really DO believe that you can do anything. And you can!
    Exactly.

And, oddly enough, notta and I start training for the Baltimore Marathon in two weeks (the marathon is near the end of summer).

"The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    An INFJ needs to have their own personal internal reason for setting such a difficult goal and pursuing it.
    Unfortunately, yes. I'd so LOVE to be able to set good goals and be able to stick to them "just because". But it just doesn't work My mind just keeps asking "But WHY?? Why why why why why why on Earth should I approve of the mobilisation of so many resources towards that goal?? I just don't see that it's worth it!!"

Marathons aren't for everyone.
    To be honest, when I think of a marathon, it's not even the difficulty that comes first to my mind, it's the utter boring-ness of it Spending half-a-day running, swimming and cycling just for the sake of it, ewww, bo-ring :rolli:

I'm weird, I know

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Running a marathon (hopefully he signed up...so he doesn't change his mind!) locks you into completing the goal.
    He won't.. he won't announce anything he isn't very certain to accomplish..
    It is not totally about running the actual race. It is about the structure and motivation to train for the race,
    Come on, you're getting me un-motivated !
    as well as the mindset you must maintain to get yourself through the training...not to mention the finish line. Completing a race like this (was for me at least) one of the most freeing experiences I have ever had. After finishing a marathon, you really DO believe that you can do anything. And you can!
    Hm, this sounds good. It's also nice to accomplish something that many people don't do. I'm motivated by the idea that it's yet another "test" for me, and I love tests.

I also think there's still some special merit in doing it.. and I've thought of myself as extremely endurance type person, so I wanna do it, as there's not many accomplishments in sport that I can do particularly well. I like the sporty lifestyle, too.. no, I don't mean the training gear or new shoes as a lifestyle.. I mean actually going out there and doing something. It maintains good feeling to exercise regularly, and vigorously. Not anything super, just the basic normal good feeling there is from just being alive and kicking, and having your heart pump blood etc..

Of course I love accomplishing something. I have athletic (borderline skinny) build, with no apparent muscle mass. I don't like the idea that only bulky bodybuilders are popularly (and immediately) considered as capable sportsmen.. tho I get it that they have distinctive appearance, something that sets them apart from tennis players etc. For me, sports are a way of life.. tho I'm not competetive, I just do it for myself. It's just that I want to be recognized for what I am, fitness enthusiast. People think it's silly to walk and ride (with a bicycle) to most of the places, when you could just take a bus or use a car. I wan't some respect! :steam:

But most of all, I just want to see how good I am in this sport. I'm not sure I'll be bothered to train as regularly as my friend.. I'm just aiming to get it under 4 hours.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    so INTJmom, I asked my friend But I can't find the thread where we discussed it..

so, he told what was his motivation to start marathon training.

First of all he realized the need for exercise.

Then .. and this is a strange mind trick he did.. and I wonder why he felt the need to do this..

but, he felt the need for another reason to run than simply the "need" to run. So he invented that he would train a lot in preparation for a marathon. Hence, he decided that he'll run a marathon so he'll train for some goal.

Yet, running the marathon had the goal of making him run.. and he's quite smart enough to know the circular logic.

I'm baffled, but that's it.
    Makes sense. My boyfriend (INFJ/ISFJ borderline dude) runs marathons and is about to start training for a triathlon. He likes a goal associated with running, instead of just running for the heck of it. It's motivating for him.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. I'd so LOVE to be able to set good goals and be able to stick to them "just because". But it just doesn't work My mind just keeps asking "But WHY?? Why why why why why why on Earth should I approve of the mobilisation of so many resources towards that goal?? I just don't see that it's worth it!!"

To be honest, when I think of a marathon, it's not even the difficulty that comes first to my mind, it's the utter boring-ness of it Spending half-a-day running, swimming and cycling just for the sake of it, ewww, bo-ring :rolli:

I'm weird, I know
    You're not weird to me.
    I'm an INFJ on the inside, so I understand how you feel.
    I have to have reason and purpose to do things, too.
    This causes a real problem when needing to de-clutter the basement!

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    You're not weird to me.
    I'm an INFJ on the inside, so I understand how you feel.
    Aw, thanks

I have to have reason and purpose to do things, too.
    This causes a real problem when needing to de-clutter the basement!
    Tell me about it :rolli:

Here are two suggestions off the top of my mind for your basement-decluttering challenge:

1- Think of all the "lost" stuff you're going to "find" again Old pics of your kids? Old family heirlooms? That sewing machine you've been waiting to find again so you can start that craft project you've been thinking of for so long?

2- Have a plan for "re-claiming" that basement once it's decluttered. Would you like to turn (part of) it into a play room, maybe? A craft room? An office? A gym? If the point is to declutter just for the sake of decluttering... Ugh

MBTI
    INTJ

Actually #2 is what's working for me. I want my sons to have a place to "hang out" and have their friends over.

50% of the stuff is going to have to go.
    My new question is: "If we had a fire, would I miss this?"
    You can get rid of a LOT of stuff with THAT question! LOL!

MBTI
    ENxJ

I'm motivated by the idea that it's yet another "test" for me, and I love tests.
    It truly is a test....of your mind, body and spirit.

I have athletic (borderline skinny) build, with no apparent muscle mass.
    It sounds like you have the perfect build to be a long distance runner.

But most of all, I just want to see how good I am in this sport. I'm not sure I'll be bothered to train as regularly as my friend.. I'm just aiming to get it under 4 hours.
    That's the reason that I ran a marathon...just to see if I could do it. Finishing in 4 hours would be a great time.