• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it bad to use exercise to punish one's self?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is a difference between punishing yourself because you're disgusted with yourself and think you're a bad person, vs. realizing what you need to do to have a healthy body and mind, and making yourself do it even though it's unpleasant to go that extra mile or forgo the second slice of cheesecake.

One is these is extremely unhealthy. I'll leave it to you to figure out which. I hope you're telling these thoughts to your therapist, though.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Based on how much you've talked lately about exercising, panic attacks and physical and mental pain that it causes I do think it is an unhealthy thing for you.

You appear to be stuck in a loop whereby you exercise because you think you have to in order to overcome weaknesses however the exercise is painful for you so you beat yourself up even harder as a result, as you see it as an indication of weakness. So yes, bad. Stop. Find another approach.

If it's about health or weight, change your diet if it's bad, reduce food proportions if they are too large, increase fresh foods if they are lacking. If your diet is good get your parents to take you to a nutritionist as there is likely an underlying issue you can't see. If you don't want to do that eliminate a bunch of foods for a bit keeping a bland diet, an easy way to do that without having to research is to go for products that have the least amount of ingredients, then slowly introduce other foods back in and monitor your reaction, it may be as simple as having an allergy. Guilt over food is not healthy.

If it's about fitness and the problems are physical pain see a physio or GP, if you can't get to one or afford one then see if you can go to a local gym where someone who has some decent knowledge of physiology can talk you through what is ideal for you, if they think you may sign up to the gym there's a chance you can use their expertise for free, of course be careful that they know what they're talking about.

If the problems are mental then try to find a therapist or GP, if you can't get to one or afford one try the help lines, if you're having panic attacks then you are not abusing their time by speaking to them, most cities have free services for teens if you link in to the right people.

Your exercise does not sound healthy.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
for a good question, what do you ENJOY doing? once you figure that out things are much easier to work with :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
then you need to try more things out! :devil:

(and I wasn't just talking about exercize there, I was talking life in general :) )

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
then you need to try more things out! :devil:

(and I wasn't just talking about exercize there, I was talking life in general :) )

I like writing and knitting. These are generally considered sedentary activities.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
do you ever do any form of research, social or intellectual, for your writing? :huh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I remember hearing that Eudora Welty used to study how people talked by riding the busses... around here riding the busses can end up being a form of exercize in it's own right (I often have to walk a few blocks every so often to catch another bus... not to mention bracing yourself against the motion of someone else driving)... just little things, incorporating interests with minor things that are helpful, can make a lot of difference :cheese:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I remember hearing that Eudora Welty used to study how people talked by riding the busses... around here riding the busses can end up being a form of exercize in it's own right (I often have to walk a few blocks every so often to catch another bus... not to mention bracing yourself against the motion of someone else driving)... just little things, incorporating interests with minor things that are helpful, can make a lot of difference :cheese:

There are no buses here.

You almost seemed to hint that you might find sexxors enjoyable. So there.

Only with a female dom.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hmm... wandering public areas perhaps? If you don't take the attitude that something is exercize it's often more enjoyable... just like if you forget that broccoli is healthy it tastes better :devil:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
hmm... wandering public areas perhaps? If you don't take the attitude that something is exercize it's often more enjoyable... just like if you forget that broccoli is healthy it tastes better :devil:

Broccoli is gross not matter what you think. I prefer spinach when it comes down to it. Spinach in lots of egg.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*shudders* eggs... giant cells :cry:

broccoli though :wubbie: and this is coming from someone who doesn't like most cooked vegetables! :laugh: Spinach is nice with ricotta as a filling for calzones and such... or uncooked as a salad :drool:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
But we're not here to discuss food, no matter how much I like it, we're here to discuss exercise.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
you took it off topic :thelook:

I was just saying that a little reframing never hurt anyone (no looking for loopholes there! :nono:) if you're pursuing something you actually have interest in things that are normally :thumbdown: become :thumbup:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
you took it off topic :thelook:

I was just saying that a little reframing never hurt anyone (no looking for loopholes there! :nono:) if you're pursuing something you actually have interest in things that are normally :thumbdown: become :thumbup:

But I usually hate doing research and avoid it whenever possible.

In fact, I think it would be more accurate to say that I hate writing. I do it as a punishment for having ideas.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oooh... if you were anywhere around here I'd show you how to have FUN with life! :laugh:

I usually find few things more relaxing than just walking somewhere away from people... it's a chance to shut off the mind and enjoy the surroundings, and something about the motion of walking slows my mind down some and allows me to enjoy existance more :)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
oooh... if you were anywhere around here I'd show you how to have FUN with life! :laugh:

I usually find few things more relaxing than just walking somewhere away from people... it's a chance to shut off the mind and enjoy the surroundings, and something about the motion of walking slows my mind down some and allows me to enjoy existance more :)

It's 97 degrees with 100% humidity in the evenings, and my heart rate goes up to 180 with just walking indoors.

Is there anything gentler on your body than walking?