User Tag List

View Poll Results: depressed after exercising

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    5 17.24%
  • no

    18 62.07%
  • a few times

    3 10.34%
  • huh?

    3 10.34%
First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 67

  1. #31
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    i hate physical activity it had nothing to do with the teachers. and i'm uncoordinated so when i was young i'd embarrass myself by being uncoordinated.
    And you're not still uncoordinated when you exercise?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  2. #32
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    i always weasled out of gym class, or i just skipped it.
    You are an animal.

    You must learn to enjoy exercise for the purpsoe of keeping your body and mind healthy.

    Human beings were not designed to sit in air conditioned houses and wallow in their own self pity, or watch TV, or surf the web until the end of time.

    (1) Make the choice to get through this.
    (2) Train as hard as you need to in order to reach a performance based goal.
    (3) Then when you reach the goal, tell me how you feel. I'll bet you feel pretty damn good.

    If you just go to the gym, or workout outside, with no real goals in mind, then all you do (especially if you are not into exercise to begin with) is tire yourself and then focus on your sore little muscles the day after.

    Your attitude is as much a part of your feeling good or bad as the exercise.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  3. #33
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    And you're not still uncoordinated when you exercise?
    no i still am, i just don't care.

  4. #34
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Are you sure about that, Halla?

    I can't even do mild exercise without my heart rate skyrocketing in fear.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  5. #35
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    You are an animal.

    You must learn to enjoy exercise for the purpsoe of keeping your body and mind healthy.

    Human beings were not designed to sit in air conditioned houses and wallow in their own self pity, or watch TV, or surf the web until the end of time.

    (1) Make the choice to get through this.
    (2) Train as hard as you need to in order to reach a performance based goal.
    (3) Then when you reach the goal, tell me how you feel. I'll bet you feel pretty damn good.

    If you just go to the gym, or workout outside, with no real goals in mind, then all you do (especially if you are not into exercise to begin with) is tire yourself and then focus on your sore little muscles the day after.

    Your attitude is as much a part of your feeling good or bad as the exercise.
    I have a goal in mind, for when my metabolism slows down i'll be use to exercise so i don't become fat and get puppies and small children lost in my fat folds (this is an actual fear of mine)

  6. #36
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I have a goal in mind, for when my metabolism slows down i'll be use to exercise so i don't become fat and get puppies and small children lost in my fat folds (this is an actual fear of mine)
    You made me giggle, just a little.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  7. #37
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I have a goal in mind, for when my metabolism slows down i'll be use to exercise so i don't become fat and get puppies and small children lost in my fat folds (this is an actual fear of mine)
    Your goal is not performance based, as I recommended.

    Running a mile in 6 minutes or less, that is performance based.

    Being able to squat your body weight for ten strict repetitions is a performance based goal.

    Mitigating baseless anxiety is not a performance based goal.

    Good luck with your fitness endeavors.

    I leave you with this final advice, you will get out of exercise what you put into it. Doing anything half assed hardly ever yields results worth talking about. Giving something your best effort however, that is an angle that can yield awe inspiring results. The choice of how you wish to exercise, how you wish to look, and how you wish to feel are yours. Make the choice and live with the outcome.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  8. #38
    Senior Member Pixelholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Your goal is not performance based, as I recommended.

    Running a mile in 6 minutes or less, that is performance based.

    Being able to squat your body weight for ten strict repetitions is a performance based goal.

    Mitigating baseless anxiety is not a performance based goal.

    Good luck with your fitness endeavors.

    I leave you with this final advice, you will get out of exercise what you put into it. Doing anything half assed hardly ever yields results worth talking about. Giving something your best effort however, that is an angle that can yield awe inspiring results. The choice of how you wish to exercise, how you wish to look, and how you wish to feel are yours. Make the choice and live with the outcome.
    uh, don't choose those goals, especially if you're new to exercising, you'll get discouraged and/or injured.

    I'd suggest try jogging or biking in a park that you enjoy. There are a lot of exercises out there, find the ones that make you happy or that you can adapt to be situations that make you happy (like if you jogged in a place you enjoy being.) Don't focus on lofty goals but little goals instead. Like if you're jogging on a track, focus on running one lap, then two, then three, etc. These kind of goals give you a fairly quick reward to give you more enthusiasm to keep going whereas if you set a large distant goal then it will always appear to be a long ways away and it's easier to get discouraged.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

  9. #39
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    A lot of times I feel great after I exercise, and I don't relate to feeling depressed, though I have gotten dizzy or weak afterwards if I wasn't eating properly...I wonder if you might be overexercising? Yes/no? Sometimes that makes me feel tense or like I might be getting sick if I don't give my body enough rest.

  10. #40
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    uh, don't choose those goals, especially if you're new to exercising, you'll get discouraged and/or injured.
    I wasn't endorsing those goals, merely using them as examples of PERFORMANCE BASED GOALS.

    For people that are totally uncomfortable with learning how to exercise I have always been of the opinion that spending some time and money with a personal trainer is time and money well spent. They know how to take someone from zero to fit, and work with them to customize a regimen that is attainable, and enjoyable enough to be adhered to perpetually, instead of being dropped immediately after the work with the trainer is done.

    Whether working with a trainer or not though, you must push yourself. If you don't you will never progress. You just have to push yourself approrpiately considering what your current state of fitness is.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Similar Threads

  1. What exercises do you do?
    By sdalek in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 184
    Last Post: 08-27-2014, 08:10 PM
  2. [ENTJ] Depressive after finishing a big job
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-06-2009, 02:36 PM
  3. After Humanity
    By kuranes in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 05:18 PM
  4. New depression treatment?
    By sdalek in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 03:12 PM
  5. Depression and causation
    By Littlelostnf in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 03:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO