User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Technically I have a bottle of women's multi-vitamins. Like one poster said they are probably a waste if you have a balanced diet. However that is an big if considering the amount of crap many people (particularly many Americans) put in their mouth. If you don't get enough of certain items or if you are exercising a lot a multi-vitamin can be quite helpful.

If you only need one or two vitamins/minerals then it would be better to take those separately than to take something that is going to 'O.D.' (literally or figuratively) on another vitamin/mineral. I take Green Tea tablets regularly (for polyphenols) and CO-Q10 (when I can afford it).
    I may burst into random song or sit quietly and read. I may argue about something I know nothing about, or help those in need. I don't know everything about the world, but I know me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i dont get it. is this even a real google app or just a visual GUI concept:

google vitamins

well so i googled for google vitamins and found nothing.
    except a google directory about vitamins and minerals.
    i never even noticed that google has directories.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    not because they ARE more important, but because they are much more difficult impossible to come by with nutrition. and they are not in vegetables, because they are no longer in american earth, nor any that i am aware of.
    Which ones?

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    as you can see in almost everyone who does live in untouched nature, like some russians who drink water from clacies which is so full of minerals that it's called milk. they get to be up to 130 or so, not sure ...
    The oldest verified human got 122. There aren't secret russian villiages with people living to 130. The average life expectancy in russia is 65. The highest in the world is japan with 83.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Razor View Post
    Vitamin pills are bullshit. If you don't get all your vitamins from your diet, then your diet is wrong and you need to change it. End of story.
    Yeah, I never took vitamins in my life, and from my understanding it's really common in the US/Canada. Completely different reality here.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Razor View Post
    Vitamin pills are bullshit. If you don't get all your vitamins from your diet, then your diet is wrong and you need to change it. End of story.
    I agree with this. A healthy diet isn't as simple as picking a few chemicals and ingesting them in pill form. The system is much more complex than that (ie. some nutrients require the presence of others to be properly used) and we don't understand how it works yet.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I think a daily multivitamin is probably a good idea, because most of us do not eat enough fruits and vegetables or get enough calcium. I think there's no harm in a daily multivitamin and there is likely to be some good in it. The amounts are not such that would make you overdose on any one vitamin. I doubt that it makes much difference what brand you buy.

I think women especially should take calcium. It's hard to get enough in normal diet. I drink a lot of skim milk and my calcium level always shows low when my blood is analyzed.

Which brings me to the point that your doctor can do a blood test and see where you are lacking.

It's true that some believe the soil that big commercial farms plant in is not as rich as it should be, therefore the produce from that soil is not as rich in minerals, and therefore you should eat organic. That's probably a good idea anyway.

Vitamins B and C are destroyed by heat and light, so there is some loss in cooking. Some foods benefit from being cooked, though, because their food value is more easily absorbed by our systems if they are cooked a little.

There's a lot to know about vitamins and many differences of opinion, but all agree we need them, and most agree we don't get them from our diets, whether it's because the foods available don't contain enough or whether we don't eat the right foods -- in any case, taking the minimum daily requirement can't hurt and might help.

MBTI
    ENTP

Women really need lots of Vitamin D.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Izzat so?

MBTI
    ENTP

I read it somewhere.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I've read that we all need more vitamin D than was previously thought, because you produce D from sunshine, and we don't get as much sun as we used to.