User Tag List

First 1234 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'd like to know if vitamins are really useful for someone eating a diet with sufficient and varied vegetables, fruits, grains and meats.

I've taken multivitamins before but was unable to detect any effect. I've heard that omega-3 supplements are good since most people don't get enough through their diet - though I'm not sure what "enough" means.

I'm interested in being healthy but highly skeptical about most of these, mostly due to the people typically promoting them (mostly IRL). Have any of these supplements been scientifically shown useful for people eating a fairly healthy diet? (my guess is not really, and that it's more important to focus on getting vitamins directly, from food?)
    -end of thread-

i believe most people (=average nutirtion) need at least B vitamins, preferable with some basic time mechanism. (i dont know all the english words)

i believe they make a difference that can actually be observed. it's not that i feel better, or can concentrate better, but i am more creative. this is difficult to observe, of course. i frequently lack B vitamins, and each time i take them for two days i notice this difference, the second day. it's subtle. i could be wrong.

other vitamins can be stored so its more easy to have them.

BUT: taking minerals is more important!!!

not because they ARE more important, but because they are much more difficult impossible to come by with nutrition. and they are not in vegetables, because they are no longer in american earth, nor any that i am aware of.

one of 100s of the symptoms of a lack of minerals is early death, somewhat around 70 years,

which is not the normal limit,

as you can see in almost everyone who does live in untouched nature, like some russians who drink water from clacies which is so full of minerals that it's called milk. they get to be up to 130 or so, not sure ...

and you must not waste money for minerals besed on carbonats (calciumcarbonat/magnesiumcarbonat...) - depending on technique the body can either absorb no more that 0 point something percent of them, or (with cilliated minerals) it can absob 50 percent in which case the carbonat (something like metall) is also absorbet into the cells (not sure if that is acceptable).

plants/mushrooms convert carbonat based minerals in human digestibel minerals. from this procees, there is cultivation of so called colloidal minerals, which are available and they are expensive.

this is common info from the internet, which lies sometimes.

there may be financial interest in what Doctor E Jackson Stockwell, but i found nothing wrong with the german translation of one of his essays. then again i don't know shit. i just have reason and a comprehensive worldview.

edit: duh, the link is just a few sentences. i cant find a full lenght copy right now. i listened to a german translation

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post

BUT: taking minerals is more important!!!

not because they ARE more important, but because they are much difficult impossible to come by with nutrition. and they are not in vegetables, because they are no longer in american earth, nor any that i am aware of.
    Maybe you're talking about a specific mineral (?) but iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc and sodium are considered minerals, and they are all in food (especially vegetables).

Although I've heard that cooking vegetables reduces their mineral content, though this could be a myth.
    -end of thread-

i do a low carb diet, all natural (paleo inspired), currently ketonic, and i use the software dietorganizer to track everything i eat. the software is verry nice and roughly feature complete, but lacks details like omega3/6 distinction (but it knows the satureated/poly/unsatiurated distinctions). it knows most vitamins and some minerals, but not all of them.

anyway, my point is, that rough estimation of both nutritional value and caloric content of my nutrition has certainly allways misled me, like totally.

i just started to look up all those funny words, one at a time, and what they really mean in terms of good or bad, and learned a lot over the last weeks.

it's just hard to get around all the horrible propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Maybe you're talking about a specific mineral (?) but iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc and sodium are considered minerals, and they are all in food (especially vegetables).

Although I've heard that cooking vegetables reduces their mineral content, though this could be a myth.
    might depend on your dosage, but i eat a lot of meat and nuts and seeds and eggs, some older cheese (1000 kcal a day), all of which contain more (of the basic) minerals (uhm in relation to the dosage that i would eventually eat with a more "green" approach, i guess) than vegetables (again, i currently believe the claims according to which there are no longer minerals in monocultered earth, which is supposedly reflected in vegetables), and i am still below RDA.

but the comparsion with those funny russians and some other folks seems to suggest, that RDA is WAY to low. RDA is average for people who plan to die around 70 which is average in our modern societies. it's questionable though, wheter optimal mineral intake would help us survive the plastic in the drinking water for more than 70 years

but there are still other diseases, than early death. like all the people with osteoporosis, who have been taking those carbonat scams for years.

there are i believe 60 minerals and all of them are important, so tracking them is really impossible, also taking calcium and magnesium does not do the trick at all. eventhough it may prevent cramping.

i believe this colloidal technique can produce products which contain all minerals, but i have to read about that myself first *g*...

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

RDA is what I'm interested in, how do they come up with these things and how do you really know what the ideal vitamin levels are? And also how different levels of some vitamins/.minerals affect absorption of others, it's really interesting.

I do vaguely remember some recent studies comparing organic vs. conventionally grown vegetables, and while there were some differences in mineral content (some higher in organic, some lower), they did find nutritionally significant levels of minerals in the vegetables. Perhaps you are right though that we need far more than we can get in the diet, that's what I'm curious about.
    -end of thread-

isn't organic vegetalble grown in the same earth on land with the same conditions (errosion or whatever has been done to nature over centuries) than conventionally grown?

this doctor i linked to recites a study from 1930 or so (dont remember) which claims that american vegetables have gone down in minerals significantly, over a couple times of 10-years. and they have been organic ("not sprayed") back then.

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

I take multivitamins. Because my schedule is paying its toll on me now.

I don´t have many time to eat properly (the "four meals per day", and the right type of food), so, they were prescribed to me by my doctor.

The name is Supradyn, by Bayer Shering Pharma.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    i believe most people (=average nutirtion) need at least B vitamins
    I have started sprinkling dried yeast on my oatmeal and wheatgerm for the B vitamins.

The yeast has a nice flavour and I feel better.