User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Thread: It hurts

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by yourfriendjaneen View Post
    Its supposed to hurt! Discipline is and determination is all you need You can do it!
    I can't do anything painful.

I can barely do anything at all.

This is coming from someone who goes into shock at paper cuts.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Look at it this way: it's much better for you to get assessed by a medical professional even if it means you'll have to go through some tests. I know you're reluctant because they might be somewhat painful but if you continue to put it off it'll just prolong the suffering.

Metabolic Tests

You do recognise a psychological aspect to your condition and while I do think it's in part due to a case of "I hurt and it's getting worse because I believe that that's what's going to happen," there would still be a physical reason underlying the exercise intolerance you describe (especially to that extent).

It is possible to overcome this and you have to dig deep within yourself to find the strength and self-belief. You have friends on this forum who believe that you can do it and who want you to get better. Sure it's nowhere near as simple as a stroll in the park but you can stomp down on some of those irrational fears. Stomp down on them hard, just like how you would if you discovered that the carpet beside you was on fire. At the moment, your default mode of thinking is "I can't" - change this to "I can!"

And believe it.
    The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. --A. Rand

MBTI
    ENFJ

I was at the doctor today...

He says I look fine but my kidneys still hurt and I need to call back tomorrow for the culture results, which will probably be nothing. And he said to take ibuprofen because it might be cramps.

...I haven't taken any ibuprofen... I haven't eaten anything either...I'm probably going back to sleep...

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Okay, I've read through this thread and I'm going to throw in my thoughts here.

The amount of physical pain you're suffering from may not be all in your head. Getting checked out by your doctor as others have suggested is a good idea.

You also seem to have a very self-defeating attitude. I hope talks with a counselor or psychologist can help you, but you have to bring out some willpower yourself. Wanting to make changes in your life and actually working to make those changes are two entirely different things.

The things you've said about your diet are somewhat disturbing to me. I would highly suggest talking to a nutritionist. If you're not fueling your body properly it can cause a lot of problems, especially if you are at risk for diabetes or have some type of thyroid problem. Don't try to do too many things at once, concentrate on getting a healthy diet going. You may have to force yourself to eat a little if you're suffering from depression that kills your appetite. I would also suggest eating several smaller meals a day (5-6) rather than 1-3 large meals. This can be as little as eating a banana or an apple throughout the day (or some other healthy snack). Slowly develop a routine and try not to beat yourself up if you slip off the routine. Accept if you went off of it, try to figure out what caused you to break from the routine, and try to pick back up on it again. Losing weight from getting sick or simply not eating may make the numbers on the scale go down, but it is most definitely NOT good for the body to do it that way. True weight loss and exercise takes time. Don't buy into this crap they throw in magazines about 4-6 week programs. It make work for some, but for most, its a load of BS. In the real world, it can takes months (and sometimes a couple of years) at the least to make significant changes.

How much activity do you get per day? I mean just doing chores around the house and whatnot. Do you spend massive amounts of time just sitting around and/or laying in bed? If so, you could actually be suffering from Muscular Atrophy. Its more than being out of shape, the muscles actually deteriorate from lack of use. You have to start very small to build yourself back up if this is the case. Just because you're not feeling the burn or pain doesn't mean you aren't helping your body. You could just start by walking around your home and doing some chores or something. Just little things to start getting your body moving.

In Summary:
    1.) Get checked for physical conditions. Find out what can be done to work around them if there are any.
    2.) Speak to someone about the mental aspects of what you are going through and come with mental exercises to get you over the hurdles.
    3.) Rally your will. You CAN do this, if you really want to. If you don't, there's nobody that can help you if you're not willing to put forth your own effort.
    4.) Begin implementing a dietary plan. Smaller meals and snacks more often during the day can stimulate the metabolism and help with calorie burn.
    5.) Begin light exercises geared towards treating muscular atrophy.
    6.) BABY STEPS! Don't push too hard, too fast. You don't have to break yourself to be healthier.

This is going to be my only post on this thread. My attempt to help even though I'm probably regurgitating what most others have said. Every post I've seen from the OP on this thread has been incredibly negative. It seems everybody here is willing to support you and offer advice, encouragement and assistance. That's a wonderful thing and very heartening, but you can't help somebody if they won't help themselves.

To the OP: You've got a lot of support here on this forum, but if you just sit around talking about how bad it is without trying to find a way to change things, no advice anybody here can offer will do you any good. Start letting go of that self-defeating attitude. It can be a hard change, especially if its something you've been doing for a long time, but it can be done. And its going to be the 1st step towards succeeding in what you're trying to accomplish here. Good luck to you. You can figure this out, if you want it bad enough.
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

^^GREAT post.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFJ

The chores I do... most of what I do is cook when it comes to chores. It can take me an hour to make a small meal and so if I ate 5-6 times a day, I would never leave the kitchen.

Can you have muscular atrophy for being inactive for three weeks?

I was at the doctor's today and he doesn't listen to me. He listens to my mother instead. She's much louder than me. He's probably mostly deaf, he can't hear me at all, even when I try to tell him what's wrong because my mother is so goddamn loud.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The chores I do... most of what I do is cook when it comes to chores. It can take me an hour to make a small meal and so if I ate 5-6 times a day, I would never leave the kitchen.

Can you have muscular atrophy for being inactive for three weeks?
    Alright, so maybe my 1st post in this thread wasn't my last.
    I wouldn't suggest cooking a lot of meals. Like I said, you can throw in healthy snack foods that require little to no preparation. Lots of fruits. Banana's, fruit salads, melons, apples, whole-wheat and nutri-grain bars.

Three weeks of inactivity is plenty of time for some atrophy to set in. I had a horrible reaction to a medication when I was 15 that almost killed me. I spent 3 1/2 weeks almost completely bedridden with nothing much more than going to the bathroom or being taken to the doctor. I was completely exhausted just walking around and trying to get back in my normal routine the 1st couple of weeks after I was better and it was months before I was back to feeling 100%.
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I was at the doctor's today and he doesn't listen to me. He listens to my mother instead. She's much louder than me. He's probably mostly deaf, he can't hear me at all, even when I try to tell him what's wrong because my mother is so goddamn loud.
    Go without her? Or have her take you and ask her to not go in with you? Or just ask her to shut up?

I don't know your exact situation and I can imagine legitimate circumstances where this might not be possible (eg, you are a minor, or disabled in some way) but if your mother is interfering with your medical treatment you need to try to make that stop.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    Go without her? Or have her take you and ask her to not go in with you? Or just ask her to shut up?

I don't know your exact situation and I can imagine legitimate circumstances where this might not be possible (eg, you are a minor, or disabled in some way) but if your mother is interfering with your medical treatment you need to try to make that stop.
    I am a minor.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_400 View Post
    Three weeks of inactivity is plenty of time for some atrophy to set in. I had a horrible reaction to a medication when I was 15 that almost killed me. I spent 3 1/2 weeks almost completely bedridden with nothing much more than going to the bathroom or being taken to the doctor. I was completely exhausted just walking around and trying to get back in my normal routine the 1st couple of weeks after I was better and it was months before I was back to feeling 100%.
    So three weeks of not wanting to live anymore made me unable to live?