• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

It hurts

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
1.4 mile walk today, completely exhausting. And to think I used to enjoy that...

Everyday, when I have to go to work, I walk about 3 miles (minimum), and to a rather swift speed. So that shouldn't be too difficult.

Yes, one of the main issue (and solution) could be how your average diet is.

The idea could be to regulate it, not to suppress it. Salad and green vegetables often are a good solution: this way you're not hungry.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Everyday, when I have to go to work, I walk about 3 miles (minimum), and to a rather swift speed. So that shouldn't be too difficult.

Yes, one of the main issue (and solution) could be how your average diet is.

The idea could be to regulate it, not to suppress it. Salad and green vegetables often are a good solution: this way you're not hungry.

Green vegetables activate my gag reflexes. Except zucchini. But those aren't in season...

You're a lot healthier than I am, remember. I managed to get myself sick out of sheer willpower. Or something.

I'm so worried about school.

ilovelurking

MBTI Type
INFJ
Remember what I typed before: many people mistake that as gaining body fats instead of muscle mass. Muscle mass is a lil' bit heavier than body fats.

No need to worry so much about the increase in weight, just keep doing what you're doing and remember to drink your water. :)

wolfy

awsm
Like lurking said above me, you can't go by your weight. You need to go by your body composition.

I don't know why it hurts. Could be diet, could be mental, could be physical. What do you think it is? It is more than likely a combination of all three.

What do you want to do?
What kind of things have worked for you?
What activities do you like?

Please...
Answer what you want, not what you don't.
Tell me what has worked, not what hasn't.
What you do like, not what you don't.

Walking does help. Start from where you are.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Remember what I typed before: many people mistake that as gaining body fats instead of muscle mass. Muscle mass is a lil' bit heavier than body fats.

No need to worry so much about the increase in weight, just keep doing what you're doing and remember to drink your water. :)

Like lurking said above me, you can't go by your weight. You need to go by your body composition.

I don't know why it hurts. Could be diet, could be mental, could be physical. What do you think it is? It is more than likely a combination of all three.

What do you want to do?
What kind of things have worked for you?
What activities do you like?

Please...
Answer what you want, not what you don't.
Tell me what has worked, not what hasn't.
What you do like, not what you don't.

Walking does help. Start from where you are.

Something told me my body is like 50% fat.

I have no idea how I could have gained muscle. I walked around a little for about a day, you don't gain 3 pounds of muscle mass by doing that. After that I've done nothing but "rest" (as in nothing) and eat.

What I want: not to become diabetic

What has worked: Whenever I lose weight it's always very suddenly, and when I'm sick. Exercising has not done anything for me, and neither has diet. However, the week I ate carob I lost weight too.

What I like: I can't really think of anything right now. I kind of hate everything, even walking right now, I walk a tiny bit around at the mall and I have to sleep.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seriously, you need to talk to a doctor/psychiatrist and tell them how you're feeling. When you address the depression and negative thoughts, the rest will be a lot easier to manage.

All this thinking and talking is like running on a treadmill. You need actions if you want to get somewhere and stop wasting your energy.

ilovelurking

MBTI Type
INFJ
Something told me my body is like 50% fat.

I have no idea how I could have gained muscle. I walked around a little for about a day, you don't gain 3 pounds of muscle mass by doing that. After that I've done nothing but "rest" (as in nothing) and eat.

What I want: not to become diabetic

What has worked: Whenever I lose weight it's always very suddenly, and when I'm sick. Exercising has not done anything for me, and neither has diet. However, the week I ate carob I lost weight too.

What I like: I can't really think of anything right now. I kind of hate everything, even walking right now, I walk a tiny bit around at the mall and I have to sleep.

50%? No problem. I've met people such as you.

Your body is adjusting itself to that walk by asking you to rest because currently that is only so much your body can handle. If you ever tried running, that is something you can do once you have gained momentum and stamina.

My dear, no need to rush. You're in the right direction. Do this slowly and at the pace your body can handle. Noone wants to be diabetic. Even me. Or my dad. Or my late grandfather. I don't know what you eat every day because I don't see you in person but please, carbohydrate is important. You can still have it just maybe a little less but not none at all. Remember, at least 2 litres of water in a day. :)

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't bring myself to exercise anymore.

It hurts too much. It really does. And hurting is the only way I know it's working but I don't want it to hurt because it hurts. I don't know how I stood it back when I was in gym class because every time I think back to that class I only remember it as being horrifically painful, in pain every single fucking day of my life and nothing ever getting any better.

I can't do this anymore. I know I need to work out or else I'll be diabetic in like five years so I need to exercise but I can't because I think it will be horrifically painful like it was back then.

And I know it will be, because that's the only way I know it will work.

And because I know it will be, my body tenses into pretzels and it hurts even worse.

I am so weak. Even if it's 100% mental my mind is so weak.

Help me.

Its supposed to hurt! Discipline and determination is all you need :) You can do it!

Cheshire Grin

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Look at it this way: it's much better for you to get assessed by a medical professional even if it means you'll have to go through some tests. I know you're reluctant because they might be somewhat painful but if you continue to put it off it'll just prolong the suffering.

Metabolic Tests

You do recognise a psychological aspect to your condition and while I do think it's in part due to a case of "I hurt and it's getting worse because I believe that that's what's going to happen," there would still be a physical reason underlying the exercise intolerance you describe (especially to that extent).

It is possible to overcome this and you have to dig deep within yourself to find the strength and self-belief. You have friends on this forum who believe that you can do it and who want you to get better. Sure it's nowhere near as simple as a stroll in the park but you can stomp down on some of those irrational fears. Stomp down on them hard, just like how you would if you discovered that the carpet beside you was on fire. At the moment, your default mode of thinking is "I can't" - change this to "I can!"

And believe it.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I was at the doctor today...

He says I look fine but my kidneys still hurt and I need to call back tomorrow for the culture results, which will probably be nothing. And he said to take ibuprofen because it might be cramps.

...I haven't taken any ibuprofen... I haven't eaten anything either...I'm probably going back to sleep...

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Okay, I've read through this thread and I'm going to throw in my thoughts here.

The amount of physical pain you're suffering from may not be all in your head. Getting checked out by your doctor as others have suggested is a good idea.

You also seem to have a very self-defeating attitude. I hope talks with a counselor or psychologist can help you, but you have to bring out some willpower yourself. Wanting to make changes in your life and actually working to make those changes are two entirely different things.

The things you've said about your diet are somewhat disturbing to me. I would highly suggest talking to a nutritionist. If you're not fueling your body properly it can cause a lot of problems, especially if you are at risk for diabetes or have some type of thyroid problem. Don't try to do too many things at once, concentrate on getting a healthy diet going. You may have to force yourself to eat a little if you're suffering from depression that kills your appetite. I would also suggest eating several smaller meals a day (5-6) rather than 1-3 large meals. This can be as little as eating a banana or an apple throughout the day (or some other healthy snack). Slowly develop a routine and try not to beat yourself up if you slip off the routine. Accept if you went off of it, try to figure out what caused you to break from the routine, and try to pick back up on it again. Losing weight from getting sick or simply not eating may make the numbers on the scale go down, but it is most definitely NOT good for the body to do it that way. True weight loss and exercise takes time. Don't buy into this crap they throw in magazines about 4-6 week programs. It make work for some, but for most, its a load of BS. In the real world, it can takes months (and sometimes a couple of years) at the least to make significant changes.

How much activity do you get per day? I mean just doing chores around the house and whatnot. Do you spend massive amounts of time just sitting around and/or laying in bed? If so, you could actually be suffering from Muscular Atrophy. Its more than being out of shape, the muscles actually deteriorate from lack of use. You have to start very small to build yourself back up if this is the case. Just because you're not feeling the burn or pain doesn't mean you aren't helping your body. You could just start by walking around your home and doing some chores or something. Just little things to start getting your body moving.

In Summary:
1.) Get checked for physical conditions. Find out what can be done to work around them if there are any.
2.) Speak to someone about the mental aspects of what you are going through and come with mental exercises to get you over the hurdles.
3.) Rally your will. You CAN do this, if you really want to. If you don't, there's nobody that can help you if you're not willing to put forth your own effort.
4.) Begin implementing a dietary plan. Smaller meals and snacks more often during the day can stimulate the metabolism and help with calorie burn.
5.) Begin light exercises geared towards treating muscular atrophy.
6.) BABY STEPS! Don't push too hard, too fast. You don't have to break yourself to be healthier.

This is going to be my only post on this thread. My attempt to help even though I'm probably regurgitating what most others have said. Every post I've seen from the OP on this thread has been incredibly negative. It seems everybody here is willing to support you and offer advice, encouragement and assistance. That's a wonderful thing and very heartening, but you can't help somebody if they won't help themselves.

To the OP: You've got a lot of support here on this forum, but if you just sit around talking about how bad it is without trying to find a way to change things, no advice anybody here can offer will do you any good. Start letting go of that self-defeating attitude. It can be a hard change, especially if its something you've been doing for a long time, but it can be done. And its going to be the 1st step towards succeeding in what you're trying to accomplish here. Good luck to you. You can figure this out, if you want it bad enough.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
The chores I do... most of what I do is cook when it comes to chores. It can take me an hour to make a small meal and so if I ate 5-6 times a day, I would never leave the kitchen.

Can you have muscular atrophy for being inactive for three weeks?

I was at the doctor's today and he doesn't listen to me. He listens to my mother instead. She's much louder than me. He's probably mostly deaf, he can't hear me at all, even when I try to tell him what's wrong because my mother is so goddamn loud.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
The chores I do... most of what I do is cook when it comes to chores. It can take me an hour to make a small meal and so if I ate 5-6 times a day, I would never leave the kitchen.

Can you have muscular atrophy for being inactive for three weeks?
Alright, so maybe my 1st post in this thread wasn't my last.
I wouldn't suggest cooking a lot of meals. Like I said, you can throw in healthy snack foods that require little to no preparation. Lots of fruits. Banana's, fruit salads, melons, apples, whole-wheat and nutri-grain bars.

Three weeks of inactivity is plenty of time for some atrophy to set in. I had a horrible reaction to a medication when I was 15 that almost killed me. I spent 3 1/2 weeks almost completely bedridden with nothing much more than going to the bathroom or being taken to the doctor. I was completely exhausted just walking around and trying to get back in my normal routine the 1st couple of weeks after I was better and it was months before I was back to feeling 100%.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I was at the doctor's today and he doesn't listen to me. He listens to my mother instead. She's much louder than me. He's probably mostly deaf, he can't hear me at all, even when I try to tell him what's wrong because my mother is so goddamn loud.
Go without her? Or have her take you and ask her to not go in with you? Or just ask her to shut up?

I don't know your exact situation and I can imagine legitimate circumstances where this might not be possible (eg, you are a minor, or disabled in some way) but if your mother is interfering with your medical treatment you need to try to make that stop.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Go without her? Or have her take you and ask her to not go in with you? Or just ask her to shut up?

I don't know your exact situation and I can imagine legitimate circumstances where this might not be possible (eg, you are a minor, or disabled in some way) but if your mother is interfering with your medical treatment you need to try to make that stop.

I am a minor.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Three weeks of inactivity is plenty of time for some atrophy to set in. I had a horrible reaction to a medication when I was 15 that almost killed me. I spent 3 1/2 weeks almost completely bedridden with nothing much more than going to the bathroom or being taken to the doctor. I was completely exhausted just walking around and trying to get back in my normal routine the 1st couple of weeks after I was better and it was months before I was back to feeling 100%.

So three weeks of not wanting to live anymore made me unable to live?