User Tag List

123 Last

Phantonym

Default Who drinks coffee in the morning?

Coffee consumption unrelated to alertness

The stimulatory effects of caffeine may be nothing more than an illusion according to new research, which shows there is no real benefit to be gained from the habitual morning cup of coffee.

Tests on 379 individuals who abstained from caffeine for 16 hours before being given either caffeine or a placebo and then tested for a range of responses showed little variance in levels of alertness.
    The study, published online in the journal of Neuropsychopharmacology, reports that frequent coffee drinkers develop a tolerance to both the anxiety-producing effects and the stimulatory effects of caffeine. While frequent consumers may feel alerted by coffee, evidence suggests that this is actually merely the reversal of the fatiguing effects of acute caffeine withdrawal. And given the increased propensity to anxiety and raised blood pressure induced by caffeine consumption, there is no net benefit to be gained.

Peter Rogers, from the University of Bristol’s Department of Experimental Psychology and one of the lead authors of the study, said: “Our study shows that we don't gain an advantage from consuming caffeine - although we feel alerted by it, this is caffeine just bringing us back to normal. On the other hand, while caffeine can increase anxiety, tolerance means that for most caffeine consumers this effect is negligible.”

Approximately half of the participants were non/low caffeine consumers and the other half were medium/high caffeine consumers. All were asked to rate their personal levels of anxiety, alertness and headache before and after being given either the caffeine or the placebo. They were also asked to carry out a series of computer tasks to test for their levels of memory, attentiveness and vigilance.

The medium/high caffeine consumers who received the placebo reported a decrease in alertness and an increase in headache, neither of which were reported by those who received caffeine. However, their post-caffeine levels of alertness were no higher than the non/low consumers who received a placebo, suggesting caffeine only brings coffee drinkers back up to 'normal'.

The authors also found that the genetic predisposition to anxiety did not deter coffee drinking. In fact, people with the gene variant associated with anxiety tended to consume slightly larger amounts of coffee than those without the variant, suggesting that a mild increase in anxiety may be a part of the pleasant buzz caused by caffeine.
    Bristol University | News from the University | caffeine buzz

MBTI
    ENFJ

I dunno, I don't drink coffee, but caffiene tends to make me sleepy.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

I love coffee in the morning! Hahahaha, but now that you mention it, I was visiting a friend who didn't drink it, and so I didn't have it for the week I was there, to no ill effect. I was actually surprised, pleasantly.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

...frequent coffee drinkers develop a tolerance to both the anxiety-producing effects and the stimulatory effects of caffeine. While frequent consumers may feel alerted by coffee, evidence suggests that this is actually merely the reversal of the fatiguing effects of acute caffeine withdrawal.
    Not surprising to me at all. In university I drank coffee only occasionally, and I got a definite buzz that helped me stay up later or study while tired. Now that I drink it daily I don't really feel anything. And it seems common for regular drinkers to feel drained and get headaches when they don't drink it.

I read recently that supplements marketed as metabolism boosters often contain a lot of caffeine, and the pattern is the same: there is a small increase in metabolism temporarily (for a few weeks), then it reverts back to normal.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I do... the bitterness of coffee shocks me awake... unfortunatly coffee and I aren't the best of friends either, but I persist in drinking it in hopes that some day we'll be friends
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I just drink it because it tastes like heaven. I don't really need the caffeine.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Oh Hell No!

I do not touch caffeine, ever again.

Last time I drank coffee, I ended up fucking a lot of shit up, relationship wise and had a terrible withdraw which ended up in the emergency room.

Nowadays, I make sure I clear my schedule for the day, even when I drink tea.

EDIT: OK, it was hella fun while it lasted; adrenaline, endorphins, and that relationship was rubbish anyways, but the come-down is just not worth the high for me. I really crashed.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm a heavy coffee drinker. 2 "American cups" in the morning and at least 2 in the afternoon. If I don't get at least 2 "American cups" of coffee, (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) I will be cranky, lethargic, and have a splitting headache. Putting on my glasses, drinking water, and taking ibuprofen until I get that second cup. It's very rare that I miss though.

("American cup"= 16 oz. I made it up when I bought my mom a 5 cup coffee maker and told her that it was 2.5 American cups.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I heard a reference to this study on TV this morning... My husband and I limit our coffee drinking to weekends and vacations. Otherwise we notice our tolerance levels go up. Coffee buzzes (and the fun conversations that come with them) are just too good to give up completely or diminish by overdoing it!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    Oh Hell No!

I do not touch caffeine, ever again.

Last time I drank coffee, I ended up fucking a lot of shit up, relationship wise and had a terrible withdraw which ended up in the emergency room.

Nowadays, I make sure I clear my schedule for the day, even when I drink tea.

EDIT: OK, it was hella fun while it lasted; adrenaline, endorphins, and that relationship was rubbish anyways, but the come-down is just not worth the high for me. I really crashed.
    ^Wow that is heavy duty! Where can I get some of that. Lol

Coffee gets me wired. I love the taste of great coffee and take a lot of care in mixing different beans for the perfect blend.

It does give me insomnia some times however.

Tea on the other hand I drink almost daily (black tea w milk) and it doesn't wire me in the least, go figure.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"