• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who drinks coffee in the morning?

MBTI Type
INTJ
I just drink it because it tastes like heaven. I don't really need the caffeine.

What he said. I usually have one in the morning and one after lunch (which is just the best thing ever).

Twice I've given up caffeine because of the promised sleeping and energy benefits, but noticed no difference. I don't really feel the positive or negative effects associated with caffeine. So back on the horse I went :)

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Which means at least 5 days a week! Admit it...you're hooked. :smile:

Haha yeah, I am. That's why my aunts all buy me Starbucks gift cards for my birthday and other holidays :woot:

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
my wife and i brew two pots in the morning- i drink one pot in the morning, and she drinks a pot but spreads it out over the day.
i only like coffee in the morning. she mostly drinks iced coffee in the afternoon.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Daily. I try to stick to half-caf these days. In fact I'm having some right now (french press).

Usually on the weekends when I have more time I break out the Chemex. It looks like a chemistry beaker. A seriously geeky way to make coffee, but it makes a great cup of joe.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I drink about a cup a day with milk and sugar in the winter.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
The college boys made an error in the first clause.
Subject is the agent in any dichotomy. It is never the object.
Read Aristotle. Or Krishnamurti.

:yes: I don't think they took into account the undistributed middle either in their eagerness to prove a contrary point. Or set up even adequate controls. This kind of "research" is a waste of funding... :jew:

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
To elaborate on what I believe Wildcat meant:

Our study shows that we don't gain an advantage from consuming caffeine - although we feel alerted by it, this is caffeine just bringing us back to normal.

Subject == Caffeine consumption, the effects of
Dichotomy == Consumption is advantageous vs Consumption is not advantageous
Object == Bringing back to normal

Object (what they take as the conclusion, whch is in itself questionable due to the factors I've already mentioned) has been conflated with the premises of the dichotomy they were trying to establish. They are saying that caffeine consumption is not advantageous because it simply returns equillibrium to normality. This, however, represents a failure to define what was and was not to be considered advantageous in advance of the "experiment". The conclusion has actually defined the criteria for the original dichotomy they were supposedly testing, thus robbing it of any possible validity. They're essentially saying "We set out to find whether caffiene consumption was advantageous or not. We carried out our experiments, then when we had the results, and not before, defined our criteria for determining whether or not it was advantageous. The category for non-advantageousness was therefore framed in advance as 'Whatever the results of our experiment are' "

No, people, just NO. :dont:

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Caffeine has the same effect on me. I never drink coffee either.
To feel more awake in the morning, I take a shower. That seems to have the desirable effect of getting me clean and waking me up (simultaneously)...

I dunno, I don't drink coffee, but caffiene tends to make me sleepy.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
there is no real benefit to be gained from the habitual morning cup of coffee.

That's only if you drink coffee for caffeine to "wake up".

I enjoy the taste of coffee & that is why I drink it. I just put a little half'n'half in it to cut acidity - no sugar or flavor to mask the taste.

For me, I know my "coffee habit" is very much emotional. I don't go through any physical withdrawal without it (ie. headaches) and it doesn't really wake me up (I can drink it in the evening & sleep just fine). However, I feel crabby without it because I have an emotional attachment to it like a baby & it's blanket. It comforts me basically - and it works me for to start my day with an enjoyable experience that leaves me emotionally calm. I consider that a real benefit.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Nope I find the smell of coffee too strong and haven't gained an affinity with coffee. As much as I would like to I rarely drink coffee at all. And in the morning I tend to be alert in a groggy kind of way. hahaha I just drink distilled water instead, yay so bland.

Xenocide

MBTI Type
INTP
Caffeine never had any kind of effect on me. I kinda envy those who get a kick out of it.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
To elaborate on what I believe Wildcat meant:

Subject == Caffeine consumption, the effects of
Dichotomy == Consumption is advantageous vs Consumption is not advantageous
Object == Bringing back to normal

Object (what they take as the conclusion, whch is in itself questionable due to the factors I've already mentioned) has been conflated with the premises of the dichotomy they were trying to establish. They are saying that caffeine consumption is not advantageous because it simply returns equillibrium to normality. This, however, represents a failure to define what was and was not to be considered advantageous in advance of the "experiment". The conclusion has actually defined the criteria for the original dichotomy they were supposedly testing, thus robbing it of any possible validity. They're essentially saying "We set out to find whether caffiene consumption was advantageous or not. We carried out our experiments, then when we had the results, and not before, defined our criteria for determining whether or not it was advantageous. The category for non-advantageousness was therefore framed in advance as 'Whatever the results of our experiment are' "

No, people, just NO. :dont:

I have to totally agree with Ragashree's analysis!

Not related to that analysis, I drink a lot of coffee but many years ago was not a coffee drinker. My coffee drinking began after receiving caffeine+ergotamine meds for severe migraines. The sort that last for days and you bang your head on something to change the nature of the pain.:cry:

Not overkeen on the idea of using ergotamine regularly, on chatting with my doctor I found that a few cups of strong coffee equal the caffeine dose delivered in the caffeine/ergotamine tabs.

To this day, if I experience the signs or "aura" of an impending migraine, I have something small to eat with an anti-inflammatory tab, anti-nausea tab (those experiencing migraines will appreciate the latter) and a cup of strong coffee. In 99% of instances this works within about 15 minutes and means I don't have to have one of the very expensive imigran jabs.:cheese:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

Not related to that analysis, I drink a lot of coffee but many years ago was not a coffee drinker. My coffee drinking began after receiving caffeine+ergotamine meds for severe migraines. The sort that last for days and you bang your head on something to change the nature of the pain.:cry:

Not overkeen on the idea of using ergotamine regularly, on chatting with my doctor I found that a few cups of strong coffee equal the caffeine dose delivered in the caffeine/ergotamine tabs.

To this day, if I experience the signs or "aura" of an impending migraine, I have something small to eat with an anti-inflammatory tab, anti-nausea tab (those experiencing migraines will appreciate the latter) and a cup of strong coffee. In 99% of instances this works within about 15 minutes and means I don't have to have one of the very expensive imigran jabs.:cheese:

Yeah, caffeine is a vasoconstrictor so it definitely helps with headaches. By the way:

sxph.org/caffeine | highly caffeinated

here you get a more "objective" and longer list of possible effects / side effects / characteristics of addiction and withdrawal. They're all highly dependant on the individual (esp. hir natural sensitivity to adenosine - I would hazard saying that the more you're adenosine-sensitive (i.e. the easier you fall asleep at night), the stronger the effects).

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

Great tips. I had one yesterday and if I was able to walk straight I would have taken a drill to my head just to be able to focus on something else. I used to be on anti-seizure meds for these but they made my brain fuzzy and I don't think they helped anyways, that doctor sucked.

Usually I just chug Benadryl, and try to get myself to sleep as fast as possible.

Enjoying a magnificent mug of coffee right now :coffee: while I catch up on my google reader stories.

G

Glycerine

I'm more alert w/ two hours of sleep than w/ coffee. a cup of it makes me sluggish for the whole day.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have coffee occasionally, maybe once a week or so, and it does seem to make me more alert, if only because it makes my heart race, lol. I don't drink it much because it makes me feel ill, though I do love the taste.