User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Caffeine has the same effect on me. I never drink coffee either.
    To feel more awake in the morning, I take a shower. That seems to have the desirable effect of getting me clean and waking me up (simultaneously)...

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I dunno, I don't drink coffee, but caffiene tends to make me sleepy.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

there is no real benefit to be gained from the habitual morning cup of coffee.
    That's only if you drink coffee for caffeine to "wake up".

I enjoy the taste of coffee & that is why I drink it. I just put a little half'n'half in it to cut acidity - no sugar or flavor to mask the taste.

For me, I know my "coffee habit" is very much emotional. I don't go through any physical withdrawal without it (ie. headaches) and it doesn't really wake me up (I can drink it in the evening & sleep just fine). However, I feel crabby without it because I have an emotional attachment to it like a baby & it's blanket. It comforts me basically - and it works me for to start my day with an enjoyable experience that leaves me emotionally calm. I consider that a real benefit.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Nope I find the smell of coffee too strong and haven't gained an affinity with coffee. As much as I would like to I rarely drink coffee at all. And in the morning I tend to be alert in a groggy kind of way. hahaha I just drink distilled water instead, yay so bland.

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    LII

Caffeine never had any kind of effect on me. I kinda envy those who get a kick out of it.

Guilty as charged.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    To elaborate on what I believe Wildcat meant:

Subject == Caffeine consumption, the effects of
    Dichotomy == Consumption is advantageous vs Consumption is not advantageous
    Object == Bringing back to normal

Object (what they take as the conclusion, whch is in itself questionable due to the factors I've already mentioned) has been conflated with the premises of the dichotomy they were trying to establish. They are saying that caffeine consumption is not advantageous because it simply returns equillibrium to normality. This, however, represents a failure to define what was and was not to be considered advantageous in advance of the "experiment". The conclusion has actually defined the criteria for the original dichotomy they were supposedly testing, thus robbing it of any possible validity. They're essentially saying "We set out to find whether caffiene consumption was advantageous or not. We carried out our experiments, then when we had the results, and not before, defined our criteria for determining whether or not it was advantageous. The category for non-advantageousness was therefore framed in advance as 'Whatever the results of our experiment are' "

No, people, just NO.
    I have to totally agree with Ragashree's analysis!

Not related to that analysis, I drink a lot of coffee but many years ago was not a coffee drinker. My coffee drinking began after receiving caffeine+ergotamine meds for severe migraines. The sort that last for days and you bang your head on something to change the nature of the pain.

Not overkeen on the idea of using ergotamine regularly, on chatting with my doctor I found that a few cups of strong coffee equal the caffeine dose delivered in the caffeine/ergotamine tabs.

To this day, if I experience the signs or "aura" of an impending migraine, I have something small to eat with an anti-inflammatory tab, anti-nausea tab (those experiencing migraines will appreciate the latter) and a cup of strong coffee. In 99% of instances this works within about 15 minutes and means I don't have to have one of the very expensive imigran jabs.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post

Not related to that analysis, I drink a lot of coffee but many years ago was not a coffee drinker. My coffee drinking began after receiving caffeine+ergotamine meds for severe migraines. The sort that last for days and you bang your head on something to change the nature of the pain.

Not overkeen on the idea of using ergotamine regularly, on chatting with my doctor I found that a few cups of strong coffee equal the caffeine dose delivered in the caffeine/ergotamine tabs.

To this day, if I experience the signs or "aura" of an impending migraine, I have something small to eat with an anti-inflammatory tab, anti-nausea tab (those experiencing migraines will appreciate the latter) and a cup of strong coffee. In 99% of instances this works within about 15 minutes and means I don't have to have one of the very expensive imigran jabs.
    Yeah, caffeine is a vasoconstrictor so it definitely helps with headaches. By the way:

sxph.org/caffeine | highly caffeinated

here you get a more "objective" and longer list of possible effects / side effects / characteristics of addiction and withdrawal. They're all highly dependant on the individual (esp. hir natural sensitivity to adenosine - I would hazard saying that the more you're adenosine-sensitive (i.e. the easier you fall asleep at night), the stronger the effects).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post

Great tips. I had one yesterday and if I was able to walk straight I would have taken a drill to my head just to be able to focus on something else. I used to be on anti-seizure meds for these but they made my brain fuzzy and I don't think they helped anyways, that doctor sucked.

Usually I just chug Benadryl, and try to get myself to sleep as fast as possible.

Enjoying a magnificent mug of coffee right now while I catch up on my google reader stories.

Glycerine

I'm more alert w/ two hours of sleep than w/ coffee. a cup of it makes me sluggish for the whole day.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I have coffee occasionally, maybe once a week or so, and it does seem to make me more alert, if only because it makes my heart race, lol. I don't drink it much because it makes me feel ill, though I do love the taste.
    -end of thread-