• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Zumba

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Zumba is a dance fitness program created by dancer and choreographer Alberto "Beto" Perez in Colombia during the 1990s. The program combines Latin and international music with dance in an effort to make exercise fun. Zumba classes are offered through licensed instructors in more than 50,000 fitness center locations in over 75 countries. Classes and instructional DVDs use music based on salsa, merengue, cumbia, reggaeton and other international music styles and forms.

I am a slacking addict to this class. I figure i should spread the good word to other people and see if anyone else knows about it that roams this part of the forum. :yes:

To promote: I've never had more fun working out in my life with efficient result. Usually, if i'm having fun while working out it means that it's not really doing anything.
I'm not sure what else to say, but i am getting back to the class this week and am ecstatic :cheese:

Here have a clip for example-
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0q6qtThF4"]Zumba[/YOUTUBE]

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh! My mom and I were just watching their commercial and I really like the whole idea. My old church in Texas, they're doing Zumba right now. My mom wants me to train in the zumba ways and eventually teach it myself, lol.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Oh! My mom and I were just watching their commercial and I really like the whole idea. My old church in Texas, they're doing Zumba right now. My mom wants me to train in the zumba ways and eventually teach it myself, lol.

lol. I've known three people who became instructors.
My gym went from having no Zumba classes a year and a half ago- to having 11 in only a few months. Now it has 13 (even one for kids) and all of the other dance classes were replaced by it :laugh:.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
WOW! Now I'm really interested in seeing if any of the gyms in my city have any Zumba classes. It looks like so much fun! How much do classes cost? Or is it different in every place you think?

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
WOW! Now I'm really interested in seeing if any of the gyms in my city have any Zumba classes. It looks like so much fun! How much do classes cost? Or is it different in every place you think?

It varies. For me, any classes come with my gym membership of 50$ a month. Some places may just have strictly Zumba or you may have to go to a gym for it. If you go here, you can search your area for Zumba locations :)

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sweet, thank you! I just found 2 locations that have it! I may have to wait until August to start though :dry:. I'm signing up as soon as possible!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agree, it's fantastic fun, but I usually end up with a stitch from laughing so hard.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I was a month late for joining Zumba, but i got back two days ago and couldn't be happier.
Tomorrow i'll be going after i figure out my heart rate monitor so i can report back with the potential insanity it causes my body. :yes:

Agree, it's fantastic fun, but I usually end up with a stitch from laughing so hard.

:tongue: That's how it goes when i bring friends along.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Usually when the instructors wear heart rate monitors, they burn around 500-600 calories.

Today i sported mine for the first time:
1156 calories burned.

I love this class more than words could ever express :laugh:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Zumba has been going well over the past month. I consistently burn between 1000-1200 calories per class. I also consistently have fun every class.

A few weeks ago, I attended a Zumba dance party. Black lights, strobe lights, and an hour of delicious cardio. It was a fantastic time.

Tomorrow, there is a Bailando dance competition at my gym. All of the Zumba instructors have teams and have worked through dance routines. I'll be taking a normal Zumba class prior and sitting in to watch the festivities with an ISTP friend :yes:.
All is well in Zumba-land. Again, I recommend it!

H

Hate

I think I'm going to have to check it out simply because I like saying the word Zumba.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think I'm going to have to check it out simply because I like saying the word Zumba.
:laugh: It's awesome when you add some flair to it. Zuuumba! It's such a cult. A very sweaty cult.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Well, I've gotten into it since the time this thread began. Definitely my favourite type of exercise. That first dance from the clip looks almost exactly the same as the one we do to that same Shakira song. I've been trying to find some of the music we use on youtube. I'm building a Zumba playlist for myself. I can find the English songs no problem, but the songs in Spanish are harder, since I can't make out any of the words. I should ask.

I am skeptical about those calorie burn estimates though. That would make it more than double the calorie burn of an hour of typical high impact aerobics for most people! It can get intense, but I doubt it's really that much more intense compared to other forms of cardio. I know manufacturers of cardio machines are often overly optimistic with the calorie burn estimates since this gets people enthused about using their products. Maybe the same is true of heart rate monitors. Have you worn the monitor for other types of exercise to compare?

In any case, I'm sure it's better exercise than anything else I can get myself to do for an hour.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I've gotten into it since the time this thread began. Definitely my favourite type of exercise. That first dance from the clip looks almost exactly the same as the one we do to that same Shakira song. I've been trying to find some of the music we use on youtube. I'm building a Zumba playlist for myself. I can find the English songs no problem, but the songs in Spanish are harder, since I can't make out any of the words. I should ask.

I am skeptical about those calorie burn estimates though. That would make it more than double the calorie burn of an hour of typical high impact aerobics for most people! It can get intense, but I doubt it's really that much more intense compared to other forms of cardio. I know manufacturers of cardio machines are often overly optimistic with the calorie burn estimates since this gets people enthused about using their products. Maybe the same is true of heart rate monitors. Have you worn the monitor for other types of exercise to compare?

In any case, I'm sure it's better exercise than anything else I can get myself to do for an hour.
:D Awesome! Glad you are enjoying it. I actually have a lot of songs they've used for my Zumba classes. Hopefully they are on my external hardrive - if so, I'll compile the names so you can check which ones you've danced to.

The calorie burn is on point, but relative. My heart rate is always up to about 180-189 for the entirety of each class. It's very high, but that also means more calories burned. I'll burn less when i'm in shape and my heart rate evens out.
For people who are in shape or simply exercise frequently, it will tend to be around 400-600.
A main reason that those cardio machines are inaccurate is because they have their own formula that doesn't take heart rate (or other things) into account. If they do gauge your heart rate, it's usually through your hands, instead of close to the heart. That can cause a lot of inaccuracies.

H

Hate

:laugh: It's awesome when you add some flair to it. Zuuumba! It's such a cult. A very sweaty cult.

Zuuuuuumba! Yeah! I can't wait to do it just so when someone asks me to go do something with them, I can be like, "Sorry homey, I got Zumba tonight."

What's the difference between this and other excercise classes. Are these movements supposed to burn more calories or something?

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Zuuuuuumba! Yeah! I can't wait to do it just so when someone asks me to go do something with them, I can be like, "Sorry homey, I got Zumba tonight."

What's the difference between this and other excercise classes. Are these movements supposed to burn more calories or something?
You're one of the last people I would think of that would willingly opt to go :laugh:, but you are ENFJ.

I would say it's because you are constantly moving. They try to give each dance variety so it's a full body workout that pumps your heart rate up. Also, the fact that it can feel like a big dance party makes you want to get more involved.
I've seen a lot of men come to the classes not knowing what to expect. The look on their faces when they realize that it is intense is so great.

H

Hate

but you are ENFJ.

Exactly... Plus, we both know that in actuality I'm just a big goofball. You're also forgetting the fact that I'm a dancin' machine yo. :party:

I've seen a lot of men come to the classes not knowing what to expect. The look on their faces when they realize that it is intense is so great.

Nice. I think we should work towards entering the Toms River Bailando Competition. I will not stop until we are crowned Zumba King and Queen.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Exactly... Plus, we both know that in actuality I'm just a big goofball. You're also forgetting the fact that I'm a dancin' machine yo. :party:

Nice. I think we should work towards entering the Toms River Bailando Competition. I will not stop until we are crowned Zumba King and Queen.
Oh I never knew you had the moves of a winner :rofl1:.
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LUie81E82k"]I'm Like Wow[/YOUTUBE]

Pff Bailando around here is in big teams and costs 200$ to participate. Eff that noise. Watching is for free :D

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
1200 kcal? How much does it last? 2 hours?

180-190 all exercise long? Wha, ehm, sorry if I'm too technical maybe this thread was meant more for "fun" - but I think maybe your cardio is not well-positioned? I mean, when I cycle and am @ 190, I can't keep it for more than 1 minute, and I'm rather well-trained