User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Zumba

Hate

I think I'm going to have to check it out simply because I like saying the word Zumba.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I think I'm going to have to check it out simply because I like saying the word Zumba.
    It's awesome when you add some flair to it. Zuuumba! It's such a cult. A very sweaty cult.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Well, I've gotten into it since the time this thread began. Definitely my favourite type of exercise. That first dance from the clip looks almost exactly the same as the one we do to that same Shakira song. I've been trying to find some of the music we use on youtube. I'm building a Zumba playlist for myself. I can find the English songs no problem, but the songs in Spanish are harder, since I can't make out any of the words. I should ask.

I am skeptical about those calorie burn estimates though. That would make it more than double the calorie burn of an hour of typical high impact aerobics for most people! It can get intense, but I doubt it's really that much more intense compared to other forms of cardio. I know manufacturers of cardio machines are often overly optimistic with the calorie burn estimates since this gets people enthused about using their products. Maybe the same is true of heart rate monitors. Have you worn the monitor for other types of exercise to compare?

In any case, I'm sure it's better exercise than anything else I can get myself to do for an hour.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Well, I've gotten into it since the time this thread began. Definitely my favourite type of exercise. That first dance from the clip looks almost exactly the same as the one we do to that same Shakira song. I've been trying to find some of the music we use on youtube. I'm building a Zumba playlist for myself. I can find the English songs no problem, but the songs in Spanish are harder, since I can't make out any of the words. I should ask.

I am skeptical about those calorie burn estimates though. That would make it more than double the calorie burn of an hour of typical high impact aerobics for most people! It can get intense, but I doubt it's really that much more intense compared to other forms of cardio. I know manufacturers of cardio machines are often overly optimistic with the calorie burn estimates since this gets people enthused about using their products. Maybe the same is true of heart rate monitors. Have you worn the monitor for other types of exercise to compare?

In any case, I'm sure it's better exercise than anything else I can get myself to do for an hour.
    Awesome! Glad you are enjoying it. I actually have a lot of songs they've used for my Zumba classes. Hopefully they are on my external hardrive - if so, I'll compile the names so you can check which ones you've danced to.

The calorie burn is on point, but relative. My heart rate is always up to about 180-189 for the entirety of each class. It's very high, but that also means more calories burned. I'll burn less when i'm in shape and my heart rate evens out.
    For people who are in shape or simply exercise frequently, it will tend to be around 400-600.
    A main reason that those cardio machines are inaccurate is because they have their own formula that doesn't take heart rate (or other things) into account. If they do gauge your heart rate, it's usually through your hands, instead of close to the heart. That can cause a lot of inaccuracies.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

zumba ass
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    It's awesome when you add some flair to it. Zuuumba! It's such a cult. A very sweaty cult.
    Zuuuuuumba! Yeah! I can't wait to do it just so when someone asks me to go do something with them, I can be like, "Sorry homey, I got Zumba tonight."

What's the difference between this and other excercise classes. Are these movements supposed to burn more calories or something?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Zuuuuuumba! Yeah! I can't wait to do it just so when someone asks me to go do something with them, I can be like, "Sorry homey, I got Zumba tonight."

What's the difference between this and other excercise classes. Are these movements supposed to burn more calories or something?
    You're one of the last people I would think of that would willingly opt to go , but you are ENFJ.

I would say it's because you are constantly moving. They try to give each dance variety so it's a full body workout that pumps your heart rate up. Also, the fact that it can feel like a big dance party makes you want to get more involved.
    I've seen a lot of men come to the classes not knowing what to expect. The look on their faces when they realize that it is intense is so great.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    but you are ENFJ.
    Exactly... Plus, we both know that in actuality I'm just a big goofball. You're also forgetting the fact that I'm a dancin' machine yo.

I've seen a lot of men come to the classes not knowing what to expect. The look on their faces when they realize that it is intense is so great.
    Nice. I think we should work towards entering the Toms River Bailando Competition. I will not stop until we are crowned Zumba King and Queen.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Exactly... Plus, we both know that in actuality I'm just a big goofball. You're also forgetting the fact that I'm a dancin' machine yo.

Nice. I think we should work towards entering the Toms River Bailando Competition. I will not stop until we are crowned Zumba King and Queen.
    Oh I never knew you had the moves of a winner .
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LUie81E82k"]I'm Like Wow[/YOUTUBE]

Pff Bailando around here is in big teams and costs 200$ to participate. Eff that noise. Watching is for free

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

1200 kcal? How much does it last? 2 hours?

180-190 all exercise long? Wha, ehm, sorry if I'm too technical maybe this thread was meant more for "fun" - but I think maybe your cardio is not well-positioned? I mean, when I cycle and am @ 190, I can't keep it for more than 1 minute, and I'm rather well-trained
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp