User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

Default Sitting down is killing us.

The chair you're sitting in now is likely contributing to the problem. "Short of sitting on a spike, you can't do much worse than a standard office chair," says Galen Cranz, a professor at the University of California at Berkeley. She explains that the spine wasn't meant to stay for long periods in a seated position. Generally speaking, the slight S shape of the spine serves us well. "If you think about a heavy weight on a C or S, which is going to collapse more easily? The C," she says. But when you sit, the lower lumbar curve collapses, turning the spine's natural S-shape into a C, hampering the abdominal and back musculature that support the body. The body is left to slouch, and the lateral and oblique muscles grow weak and unable to support it.

This, in turn, causes problems with other parts of the body. "When you're standing, you're bearing weight through the hips, knees, and ankles," says Dr. Andrew C, Hecht, co-chief of spinal surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Center. "When you're sitting, you're bearing all that weight through the pelvis and spine, and it puts the highest pressure on your back discs. Looking at MRIs, even sitting with perfect posture causes serious pressure on your back."
    Your Office Chair Is Killing You - Yahoo! News

Chairs = bad.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    INFP

Chairs are good, the behavior of sitting down extensively, is bad.
    Don't blaim the chairs.

MBTI
    IsTP

Down with chairs!!!

Actually the article says barstools are the best thing to sit on as they engage your legs. So...

The best sitting alternative is perching -- a half-standing position at barstool height that keeps weight on the legs and leaves the S-curve intact. Chair alternatives include the Swopper, a hybrid stool seat and the funky, high HAG Capisco chair. Standing desks and chaise longues are good options. Ball chairs, which bounce your spine into a C-shape, are not. The biggest obstacle to healthy sitting may be ourselves. Says Jackie Maze, the vice-president for marketing at Keilhauer: "Most customers still want chairs that look like chairs."
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

instead of creating countless new facebook apps and stupid low carb tortilla varities, why don't people vest more time into creating more ergonomic chairs and other such products so we don't all become half crippled before we can get a good retirement setup?

just reading this makes my back hurt.

...i'm sounding old already! damn kids.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde

MBTI
    ENFJ

Actually, doing all your office work from a chaise lounge sounds pretty awesome.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    GONE

That's why I lie down when I'm on the computer. And keep a big bag of Cheetos and a liter of pop within easy reach. I try to keep it healthy.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ISTP

I hate sitting, and I hate chairs with a passion! :steam: So uncomfortable. I try to do as much as I can standing up

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, humans were doing so much better when we were up and active all day... working on a farm and dying in our 30s.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capslock View Post
    Chairs are good, the behavior of sitting down extensively, is bad.
    Don't blaim the chairs.
    Guns don't kill people, death kills people.

Yes, I am totally agree with you. If we sit and do nothing than we feel that we died for a moment. When we don't do any work that makes us lazy. We become that much lazy that are like killed. Always do more and more work and more get your motto. Ans get some inspiration from the people who are working and not sit like a dumb.