User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    LoLz

Default Bipolar Disorder

Well, I finally got the official diagnosis today. After my battle with depression that lasted from 14 to 20, then recovering from it from 20 to 23, which led to resuming antidepressants over the last 4 months due to depression and anxiety returning, I have been diagnosed with bipolar.

I have been on Prozac since the beginning of February, which was the third antidepressant this year that it took before I found one without side effects I couldn't handle. After 6 weeks of being on it, I threw my budget and diet to the wind. I then became obsessed with casual sex, which led to soliciting prostitutes on a daily basis. I also drank a few drinks on a daily basis. Over the course of the last 3 weeks, I accrued $15,000 in credit card debt, and gained 40 lbs in the last 6 weeks.

My psychiatrist had a lithium test done, which came back 0.3. Healthy levels are 0.7-1.2. I was immediately switched from Prozac to Lithium 2 weeks ago at the first chance of Bipolar being present. This explains my inability to find control over my depression the last several years, but at the first time, this is just scary to deal with. It's a big change.

Any thoughts?

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    Well, I finally got the official diagnosis today. After my battle with depression that lasted from 14 to 20, then recovering from it from 20 to 23, which led to resuming antidepressants over the last 4 months due to depression and anxiety returning, I have been diagnosed with bipolar.

I have been on Prozac since the beginning of February, which was the third antidepressant this year that it took before I found one without side effects I couldn't handle. After 6 weeks of being on it, I threw my budget and diet to the wind. I then became obsessed with casual sex, which led to soliciting prostitutes on a daily basis. I also drank a few drinks on a daily basis. Over the course of the last 3 weeks, I accrued $15,000 in credit card debt, and gained 40 lbs in the last 6 weeks.

My psychiatrist had a lithium test done, which came back 0.3. Healthy levels are 0.7-1.2. I was immediately switched from Prozac to Lithium 2 weeks ago at the first chance of Bipolar being present. This explains my inability to find control over my depression the last several years, but at the first time, this is just scary to deal with. It's a big change.

Any thoughts?
    Wow, it sounds like you've had a rough time. I'm glad you've found the right diagnosis. So many disorders seem to be (dismissively) misdiagnoised as depression. Do you feel any sense of relief from the diagnosis? Is the medication having any affect so far? I know my friend has a form of bipolar disorder (though not a serious as yours) and responded very well to the medication. The effect is so profound that she can feel the medication leaving her system - she can sense her brain chemicals altering and her mood slipping, before even checking the time for her next dose.

I guess there are a lot of new things to get your head around but at least you're on the right path now. That's a major part of the battle over!

Good luck! I hope things start to change for the better

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Sorry about the news. Hopefully now that it's diagnosed properly you'll be able to get some control over it. Were you diagnosed bipolar 1 or 2? Sounds like 1 to me, but it's an important difference. How do you feel on the lithium so far? Do you mind if I ask what other antidepressants you've been on? Four (including lithium) in the last year is a lot.

Bipolar is a scary diagnosis, but it is treatable. Good luck.

MBTI
    LoLz

About 5-6 years ago, I was up to 80mg of Paxil for my major depression. I slowly tapered off that as the depression was controlled. This last December, I went back on 20mg of Paxil, but it killed orgasms, so I switched to Effexor XR. The Effexor XR made me feel trapped inside of my head, so I switched to Prozac, which started this ordeal after several weeks.

I've been prescribed the Lithium for 2 weeks. After 4-5 days on it, I started to feel less compelled to follow impulses and make plans to go out spending money on hookers. I didn't want that feeling to end, so I saw I had 3 Prozac pills left, and took those for 3 days so that I could have another weekend of fun. Then I resumed the Lithium this weekend when I ran out of Prozac.

It's just....scary. The psychiatrist said he was 98% sure, but he looked at my blood work, and I said, "so, this confirms I'm bipolar?" he said, "Not really yet" It just seems as if there's doubt still, and I want to know what we have to do to erase the doubt and figure out what's really going on. They said it was Bipolar 1.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Any thoughts?
    This has taken far too long to arrive.

Seriously Raz's doctors/shrinks WTF have you been doing all this time?

Raz you have been failed by the medical establishment. :/
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

what's helped me out a lot?

- getting into a regular sleep pattern in which I get ~ 8 hours of sleep a night

- cutting back on caffeine consumption

- no alcohol

- healthy food

- exercize every day

my shrink suggested it a few years ago and I was slow about following his suggestions but when I did things evened out for me A LOT... I definitley feel closer to being a normal person
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Oberon

I then became obsessed with casual sex, which led to soliciting prostitutes on a daily basis. I also drank a few drinks on a daily basis. Over the course of the last 3 weeks, I accrued $15,000 in credit card debt...

Any thoughts?
    Dang, that's expensive.

Far more economical to find a woman who's also bipolar.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Dang, that's expensive.

Far more economical to find a woman who's also bipolar.
    I'm sorry I didn't have that amazing advice and control a month ago....

Save your one liners for a situation you understand?

Oberon

I'm sorry I didn't have that amazing advice and control a month ago....

Save your one liners for a situation you understand?
    ...it wasn't intended as serious advice. And yes, I will butt out.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

wow raz...i'm so sorry to hear that.

i hope things start to normalize for you now.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison