User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    Well, I finally got the official diagnosis today. After my battle with depression that lasted from 14 to 20, then recovering from it from 20 to 23, which led to resuming antidepressants over the last 4 months due to depression and anxiety returning, I have been diagnosed with bipolar.

I have been on Prozac since the beginning of February, which was the third antidepressant this year that it took before I found one without side effects I couldn't handle. After 6 weeks of being on it, I threw my budget and diet to the wind. I then became obsessed with casual sex, which led to soliciting prostitutes on a daily basis. I also drank a few drinks on a daily basis. Over the course of the last 3 weeks, I accrued $15,000 in credit card debt, and gained 40 lbs in the last 6 weeks.

My psychiatrist had a lithium test done, which came back 0.3. Healthy levels are 0.7-1.2. I was immediately switched from Prozac to Lithium 2 weeks ago at the first chance of Bipolar being present. This explains my inability to find control over my depression the last several years, but at the first time, this is just scary to deal with. It's a big change.

Any thoughts?

Yes! Sue! Sue the incompetant Psychiatrist and Eli Lilly! aka the manufacturer of Prozac.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

along with my previous suggestions, I'd also suggest getting some nice dependable friends who will always be there for you, whether to cheer you up, take you out or just listen to you for a bit... they're very high on the list of resources to have
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

North Carolina Psychiatric Malpractice Lawyer | Therapist Sexual Misconduct Attorney South Carolina

Here's a good friend to make.

Sounds like you were prescribed a psycho-tropic that created problems that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Yes! Sue! Sue the incompetant Psychiatrist and Eli Lilly! aka the manufacturer of Prozac.
    It's not that easy. People are projected into manic episodes all of the time from antidepressants, and the claim is always that the person had underlying bipolar disorder to begin with. You can't just sue people for that.

Not everyone has bipolar disorder, and therefore are not adversely affected by SSRIs in this manner. Raz's behavior is so completely over the top and self-destructive that it's obviously mania, not hypomania - not to mention that he took his last three Prozac pills for "a weekend of fun" after being advised not to.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

actually too little sleep or too much caffeine can trigger mania as well... though suing and getting a bazillion dollars would be fun!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Raz you should use caution with the lithium-it actually has a lot of very negative side effects and a very narrow toxicity window. They have about two generations of antiepliptics on the market that work very well for treating bipolar but do not have all the horrible side effects of lithium. The lithium levels can also be tricky to level off as the best dose for treatment can actually already be causing bad side effects.(My mom has taken many of them.)

Anyways hugs to you and I am glad to hear you have found a path forward. My best wishes for you...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Raz you should use caution with the lithium-it actually has a lot of very negative side effects and a very narrow toxicity window. They have about two generations of antiepliptics on the market that work very well for treating bipolar but do not have all the horrible side effects of lithium. The lithium levels can also be tricky to level off as the best dose for treatment can actually already be causing bad side effects.(My mom has taken many of them.)

Anyways hugs to you and I am glad to hear you have found a path forward. My best wishes for you...
    Yes, that's true. Ask your doctor about Trileptal or Lamictal. A word of caution though: you CANNOT stop taking anticonvulsants cold turkey, so you MUST take your meds regularly if you're on them.

MBTI
    LoLz

This is just so much to take in. It means the Bipolar has been sitting there my entire life, and it starts to explain a lot. I'm just still scared and not sure what to do at this point.

I keep wanting to just sit and cry or drink alcohol.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I understand... and I'd suggest taking a walk as opposed to the other options... routine movement can have an amazing impact on calming people down

MBTI
    yupp

I find that people will always say but you don't seem _______ and it's like ok....You just have to know where you stand and realize that other's comments don't always matter. They're not inside your head.I find pacing helps to calm me down.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so