• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Root canal....GAH!

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Anyone here ever had a root canal? Any good advice to help with the pain?

It feels like someone has beaten my face/jaw/gums with a hammer. The dentist put me on a Z-pak (prevents infection) and lots of Advil. Despite the fact that the Advil bottle says to not take more than 6 pills in a 24-hour period I have taken 13 pills in a 19-hour period. That can't possibly be good for me/my liver can it?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've had one, a few years ago. I remember taking ibuprofin to reduce swelling.

I think you can take both tylenol type painkillers + ibuprofin types, full doses, at once... because they do different things. but someone else will have to confirm

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
If I were you, I'd call in the morning if it's still bad and request something.
Yeah, what she said. I had some teeth pulled when I was younger, and the pain got unbearable so I got the dentist to prescribe some Percodan. Completely took care of it.

If you're in really bad shape tonight, and your insurance covers it, you might want to call an urgent care facility or ER (or see if you're dentist's after-hours phone menu lists an emergency number). If you're driven to the point of taking double the indicated dose of Advil, you need something stronger.

Also, for that particular kind of pain, I find acetaminophen (Tylenol) to be more effective than ibuprofen (Advil).

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ugh- I'm sorry! I remember having my wisdom teeth pulled and that was no fun... I'm not really a big fan of receiving dental surgery at all! Tylenol damages your liver in high doses and advil, motrin and asprin damage your stomach lining. I've always found ibuprofin to work the best for things like that, but I was prescribed tylenol by the oral surgeon when I got my teeth pulled- it didn't help at all! I ended up putting ice chips in my mouth and they helped out some! Hope your mouth feels better soon!

(my sister, however, was given vicodin and felt great! lucky her!)

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Thanks for the advice, guys; and for the link, Ivy. I appreciate it. I think I'll call the office in the morning and ask for "the good stuff" because Advil just isn't cutting it anymore. My toothache leading up to the root canal lasted about 3 days in which I took Advil the whole time...I wonder if it's possible to acclimate to the medicine that quickly if you take it too often?

And Jennifer, I believe you are right, you can take tylenol and advil at the same time...I remember hearing/reading that somewhere. Anyway, I just took my final round of Advil for the night (this time it's the PM variety....so I'm kinda excited about the possibility of sleeping again). Hopefully it'll work, because that last pill was my 3000th mg of the day. Ugh, I really don't like taking medicine unless it's absolutely necessary....but oh well, my face kinda feels like this: :moodeath: (sorry, I have always wanted to use that smily...lol) G'night folks and thanks again!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hope you are feeling better today. Tooth/gum aches cause an amazing amount of discomfort for such a small area of the body.

Yes, with ibuprofin drugs, they really can rip up your stomach lining and badly, if you take them on an empty stomach consistently.

I did not know this, and a few years back took one of the common prescribed meds that is basically high-strength ibuprofin (begins with a V? I forget the name) for a month, without necessarily eating food all the time... and I had stomach issues for an entire year afterwards (couldn't handle anything acidic, etc.)before recovering. No one -- no doctor, no one -- had told me that this happens with the drug, and I guess I did not read the sheet or I never got one.

Even with OTC ibuprofin, if I take it for a few days straight, I make sure I take it with food because I've seen the same problem start to develop.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Nerve pain isn't something advil can typically handle. Even percocet didn't take the edge off for me. The only really good news is, once it's over, it's over. I hope it's over for you, soon.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Thank you. I'm feeling maybe a tiny bit better this morning. I was able to sleep for 4-5 hours, so that was nice. I called the dentist's office, but my dentist is out today so I left her a message on her emergency line.

And thanks for the advice, Jennifer...I'll be sure to eat a something with the meds.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
They actually gave me vicodin...and I was really excited about that. I totally expected it to knock me flat out. Unfortunately, it did not effect me at all (I have no idea how that is even possible). It did not make me drowsy, nor did it even take away the pain. Today was pretty much the first day I have felt better and could actually take normal doses of medicine. And Jennifer, I now know what you meant about eating something with the medicine. I think I've taken so much Advil that my stomach has been irritated all day. I just ready for this whole ordeal to be over so I can get off all this medicine and be able to chew again...that would be nice. I'd say 2 more days and I'll be just dandy.

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
Goodness, how bad of a root canal was it? When I had mine they prescribed me tylenol with codine, but I took two regular tylenol, slept a little and was fine. Probably didn't even need the medicine I took.

Maybe some people's teeth are more sensitive?

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Goodness, how bad of a root canal was it? When I had mine they prescribed me tylenol with codine, but I took two regular tylenol, slept a little and was fine. Probably didn't even need the medicine I took.

Maybe some people's teeth are more sensitive?

Well, I had some bad complications with mine. Basically, I had a large cavity in that tooth about 3 yrs ago, and since the cavity was so large they decided to put a crown/cap (I don't know which) over it just so it would be stronger than a normal filling. Since the time I got that work done, my tooth has always been very sensitive to hot and cold...I just thought it had something to do with the crown/cap thing so I never thought anything of it.

However, the way the dentist explained it to me, that sensitivity meant that my tooth has been slowly dying over the last 3 yrs. She said that sometimes when you drill too much on a tooth it can just decide to "die" so essentially, that's what happened to me. By the time I developed a toothache my tooth and gums were badly infected.

Anyway, the healing has been a really painful and long process, but I'm feeling back to about 90% today, so I'm hoping to be just about normal by tomorrow. Thanks for the kind words everyone...I am feeling much better :)

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
Ouchies!! Yeah, temperature sensitivity is never a good sign! Means something's going on under the surface, at least from my experience. I'm glad you were able to have it taken care of, and feeling better!

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Anyone here ever had a root canal? Any good advice to help with the pain?

It feels like someone has beaten my face/jaw/gums with a hammer. The dentist put me on a Z-pak (prevents infection) and lots of Advil. Despite the fact that the Advil bottle says to not take more than 6 pills in a 24-hour period I have taken 13 pills in a 19-hour period. That can't possibly be good for me/my liver can it?

Poor you. :hug: