• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Red meat linked to lung cancer?

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
It seems like there's a new study out showing that a new food substance causes cancer just about every week.

Pretty soon all we'll be allowed to eat safely is bread and lettuce leaves. But oh no, the pesticides used on the wheat and lettuce will give you cancer!

Best not eat anything at all... you won't have to worry about cancer then!

:rolleyes:

Roger Mexico

MBTI Type
INTP
Meat raises lung cancer risk, too, study finds on Yahoo! Health

I'm wondering, when are they ever going to talk about the long-term health effects of fruits and vegetables? There has to be some; it's all about taking the good with the bad, right?

It seems like there's a new study out showing that a new food substance causes cancer just about every week.

Pretty soon all we'll be allowed to eat safely is bread and lettuce leaves. But oh no, the pesticides used on the wheat and lettuce will give you cancer!

Best not eat anything at all... you won't have to worry about cancer then!

:rolleyes:

The link between beef and cancer isn't news. Maybe we don't hear about the risks of eating fruit and vegetables because there aren't that many. Although you may have a point with the pesticide thing.

I'm vegetarian and try to eat organic produce when I can, (the former is a health/spiritual thing and the latter because it tastes much, much better) so it's kind of funny to me when people react to these studies with "oh shit, what am I gonna eat?" I have yet to find one that suggests I'm in a high-risk group.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Bah humbug:

"Meat consumption in relation to cancer risk has been reported in over a hundred epidemiological studies from many countries with diverse diets,"

From the study:

Meat intake was estimated from a food frequency questionnaire administered at baseline. Cox proportional hazards regression was used to estimate hazard ratios and 95% confidence intervals within quintiles of red and processed meat intake. During up to 8.2 y of follow-up, 53,396 incident cancers were ascertained. Statistically significant elevated risks (ranging from 20% to 60%) were evident for esophageal, colorectal, liver, and lung cancer, comparing individuals in the highest with those in the lowest quintile of red meat intake. Furthermore, individuals in the highest quintile of processed meat intake had a 20% elevated risk for colorectal and a 16% elevated risk for lung cancer.

Diet was not monitored, diet composition is not even discussed. "Bacon" and "bacon cheeseburger" would be considered equal. What you eat with your red meat makes a difference.

Epidemiological studies don't show causation, yet they're reported in the MEDIA as black and white. It's very frustrating.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The link between beef and cancer isn't news. Maybe we don't hear about the risks of eating fruit and vegetables because there aren't that many. Although you may have a point with the pesticide thing.

In a similar fashion to what Nat pointed out, fruits and vegetables in and of themselves may not carry many health risks, but a vegetarian diet can. Just run a Google search for "risks of a vegetarian diet" and several links weighing the pros and cons will be right there.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Being totally honest as a vegetarian, I don't think meat has any 'particular' major health risks itself. But, I do believe vegetarians live longer on average than omnivores, not because meat makes people ill, but as they vegetarians tend to have more awareness about what the are eating. Therefore, vegetarians are much more likely to have a balanced diet,

For example, I see an omnivore eating too much meat being no different 'health wise' than say if a vegetarian eats to much Fusarium venenatum or Soya. It is not the abundance of meat that will take years off your life, but the fact it is pretty had to get a balanced diet eating meat with every meal ( the same could be said if I eat Soya with every meal :rolleyes: ).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
to point out everything, just about, causes cancer I wouldn't be suprised if they said given birth causes cancer.