• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

thyroid questions

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I am just curious if anyone around here know and thing about underactive thyroids? I ask b/c for some reason I have it in my mind that I may have a thyroid issue. My doctor had questioned it a few years ago but dismissed it at that time as being nothing, I didn't bring it up at all she did. That had to have been 4yrs ago now.

My biggest stumbling block has been because i have been working so hard to lose weight, harder than most people do and have lost only a fraction of the weight that many others do... so it just makes me wonder that is all. I have done limited research online and have found some more things about me that seem to fit, but realize that only a DR can and should diagnose such a thing

so I was checking to see what people know

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Natrushka is very knowledgable about thyroid and adrenal issues. I haven't seen her in awhile, though.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
My mother has an underactive thyroid and has taken Synthoid (?) for many years. Recently I thought I might be underactive, so my doctor ordered a blood test, and it turns out all is normal.

Have you had a TSH test? That would be a good place to start.

Jae Rae

mooshenh

MBTI Type
O+
I was diagnosed hypothyroid. It took a long time for the doctors to figure out what the heck was wrong with me. What they do is take your test numbers and compare them to a range. What they don't do is take borderline cases seriously. We are all different and for one a borderline can be much more significant in terms of symptoms, than for another.

With that I was on Synthryoid for years and what I was told by my trusted alternative doc was that Synthryoid will suppress your own thyroid and make it sicker. I switched to an over the counter supplement called GTA-Forte, which is a stronger version containing porcine glandular (pig gland) which is a natural way to supplement thyroid hormone.

What was strange for me was when I stopped eating Gluten and started drinking shakes which contained ground flax seeds my GTA-Forte became noticeably too strong.

So now I just switched to plain GTA which only contains a quarter of the glandular than the GTA-Forte. The GTA is more for people who are teetering on the border. That is my impression.

So I don't know if cutting out the Gluten was responsible, as I read there is some sort of connection there. Or if the flax seed had a curative effect, I've heard that also.

All I know is I trust my alternative doc a heck of a lot more and that the GTA-Forte and GTA are non-prescription and you can purchase them over the internet.

I'd get a blood test though. Also I wouldn't want to make you distrustful of conventional medical doctors because they do make very worth observations, but a person has to keep in mind that their training has somewhat of a limiting effect on how they are allowed to practice.

Myself when I find myself not satisfied with the conventional medicine I tend to explore the possibilities but I also keep in mind that I don't want to stray into bullshit areas. Especially when it comes to my health. Take everything with a grain of salt and be observant and get that blood test and demand to see the results, sometimes you do have to be pushy, learn what the numbers mean.

Good luck.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
*nods* My suggestion to you is also to go talk to your family doctor and arrange to get a blood test. It's the surest way of figuring out if there's a problem.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
yes it is

my DR is really great she takes me seriously and listens well, just that I have to drive into vancouver to see her

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My stepmom has an underactive thyroid, and she also seems to have the same problems losing weight. She hardly eats at all and is pretty overweight. She is also very active, so its always surprising to me how much trouble she has with it.

so that could very well be your problem.

G

GirlAmerica

I do....

do either of your parents or siblings?

It generally will happen after women give birth....as it did to me.

Both of my parents have hypo-thyroidism.....it is a true curse.
However, educating yourself about it...and having a good Dr. makes it no problem once you get the hang of it.
It really doesnt bother me...treated it 'goes away'. You just have to monitor it very closely thru blood tests.

*brittle nails, dry skin and fatigue..would all be symptoms if untreated...

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I don't have brittle nails but I do have dry skin and am tired and depressed a lot.

I eat fairly well, hardly ever go out or eat fast food. Not big on buying lattes or anything either. I exercise 3-5 days a week for 60-90mins burning in excess of 350calories a day, and I don't eat more than I did before i started exercising. And in 5months I have lost 20lbs it's a huge red flag for me.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Have you considered that you may not be eating enough? Especially considering the fact that you do so much cardio.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
but um I am not hungry and don't want to eat more...

did I mention around here that I don't like eating?

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
haha depends on the day and my mood....

between 3 & 6 times a day.....

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Actually, after looking at what you posted, it doesn't sound like you are doing very bad. 20 pounds in 5 months is a healthy amount. Losing weight too fast causes rebound (as in the case of assisted aneroxia - like surgery). I am of the opinion that diet is equally if not more important than cardio when it comes to weight loss, but in reality you should not be losing more than 1-2 pounds per week, if you are doing it right. Eat breakfast. No sodas. Cut the carbs back at night. When I was cutting I just wouldn't eat any carbs past like 6 p.m.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
aside from my cookie habit that I have cut back, along with the sugar in my coffee... never drink sodas and juices, rarely drink alcohol.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
*nods* My suggestion to you is also to go talk to your family doctor and arrange to get a blood test. It's the surest way of figuring out if there's a problem.
Agreed.

I have an underactive thyroid; I take medication daily to keep my thyroid function normal.

About 3 or 4 times I year I have blood tests to ensure that my thyroid function is reporting as normal and every couple of years I have an ultrasound on my thyroid to check that it is normal in size.

My blood tests indicate a normal thyroid function, and will continue to do so while ever I take medication.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I was also just reminded this morning why I don't take cough syrup, I do so rarely that I forget. You see the first dose goes down fine with no side affects however the second dose taken 6hrs after the first and just before I go to bed causes me to wake up all shaky in the morning. UGH!

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I am just curious if anyone around here know and thing about underactive thyroids? I ask b/c for some reason I have it in my mind that I may have a thyroid issue. My doctor had questioned it a few years ago but dismissed it at that time as being nothing, I didn't bring it up at all she did. That had to have been 4yrs ago now.

My biggest stumbling block has been because i have been working so hard to lose weight, harder than most people do and have lost only a fraction of the weight that many others do... so it just makes me wonder that is all. I have done limited research online and have found some more things about me that seem to fit, but realize that only a DR can and should diagnose such a thing

so I was checking to see what people know

As someone who's Been There, Done That, I feel for you, Targo. Are you in BC? If yes, and you have a doctor who's admitted you have a thyroid problem, then you're ahead of the game. BC doctors and hormones = usually a bad scene.

Weight loss isn't rocket science, if you cut the calories you lose weight (not necessarily fat, but weight does move). I spent years killing myself with exercise and diet trying to maintain my weight; I thought I just needed to work harder.

From what I recall you're active and you're pretty young. If you're having THAT much difficulty with weight loss then you can assume Something Ain't Right.

Questions for you, they may seem silly, but humour me.

Do you have 'abnormal' cholesterol results?
Do you have problems sleeping? Or are you tired when you wake up?
Have you noticed your eyebrows getting thinner?
Do you have irregular periods?

Bottom line is do you feel ok? Blood tests when dealing with thyroid (or any hormone for that matter) are poor indicators of health. Blood tests for thyroid are notoriously bad, especially when you're being treated. This is one of those fields of medicine where you used to be better treated 50 years ago.

Edited to add: have you ever had your vitamin D levels tested? Do you take Vitamin D? If you don't and if you do live in BC it's something to seriously consider.