User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 66

  1. #41
    Highly Hollow Wandering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Ugh, doctors and hypothyroidism :steam:

    [rant]

    I was 29 when it started. I had given birth to my son 7 months before. There are several cases of thyroid dysfunction in my mom's family. I was much more than just tired, I was exhausted. Doctors do blood tests. "Nope, everything's fine". O-kaaayyyyy.... I go back again, they do blood tests again, everything's fine again... Repeat cycle I don't know how many times... All the time I'm getting steadily worse, up to the point where I'm no longer able to FUNCTION at all! I mean, even sleeping was tiring me. Even the IDEA of sleeping was tiring me!! Finally, I go back in one last time. This time, I pray to God (literally!) that please please PLEASE let the blood tests show something wrong! And finally, they did. Hypothyroidism. DUH!!!! Like I didn't know it already!! So I'm finally allowed to take hormones. But you know, "you start with 25 and then we do blood tests and we see if you need more." Yeah, right! Thanks to an acquaintance of mine who is a doctor (radiologist), I get additional prescriptions, so I can regulate my levels according to what my body is telling me. Basically, every 3 weeks, my body would say "feeling hypo again, let's augment the dose, shall we?" It went on for a few months, and I went very high, but then my body started saying "ah, feeling hyper now, let's reduce", so I started lowering my dosage. Finally I reached a level where I was feeling just fine. But my endocrinologist wasn't happy, because, guess what, my blood levels indicated hyperthyroidism! ARGH!!! Don't they EVER learn???? He even made me lower my dose just a bit, and I did, and sure enough when I came back to see him 6 weeks later, I was a zombie. His conclusion: something else must be wrong. Yeah, like, maybe you should stop treating me according to NUMBERS :17026: !?!? I AM NOT A NUMBER!!!! Can you believe that he went so far as to imply that I was actually taking too much because I was looking for a boosting effect :SaiyanSmilie_anim: !? Yeah, like hyper is SUCH a wonderful feeling, NOT!!!!

    I'm angry, I'm really really angry. I missed out on SO many things in my son's first years, and I lost all my strength and stamina, and all of this put an incredible burden on my husband. I KNEW right from the beginning that it was my thyroid, but NO, if the numbers don't say so, then it ain't so. GRR!!

  2. #42
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    I don't blame you for feeling that way. I would be angry, too.

    I have been exhausted for 20 years. All my blood test results are in the normal range.

    Is it possible the reason Targo is having a harder time losing weight is because of her age? I know that women say it gets really hard to lose weight after age 35, and I've experienced that myself, so I think there's something to it. I know she's only 33, but it could be a contributing factor.

  3. #43
    Highly Hollow Wandering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I have been exhausted for 20 years. All my blood test results are in the normal range.
    That's my biggest fear. Right now things are improving again, but I'm scared things might go wrong again and I might not find a way to make them better again. How do you deal with it??

    Is it possible the reason Targo is having a harder time losing weight is because of her age? I know that women say it gets really hard to lose weight after age 35, and I've experienced that myself, so I think there's something to it. I know she's only 33, but it could be a contributing factor.
    I think so too. Not to mention the 4 pregnancies. And do I remember reading something about gestational diabetes? I would imagine that all of this would limit her "weightloss reactivity", if you see what I mean by that.

  4. #44
    ~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    2,585

    Default

    well what I did realize is that I have a higher muscle mass and I only really had 30lbs to lose not the 40+ that I thought. I realized that i was putting on muscle and am at my last 10lbs. My diet isn't the greatest b/c I don't want to relapse and fail so while i have made a lot of healthier choices and for the most part it's good, it could be better.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

  5. #45
    Highly Hollow Wandering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    well what I did realize is that I have a higher muscle mass and I only really had 30lbs to lose not the 40+ that I thought. I realized that i was putting on muscle and am at my last 10lbs.
    Aha! That explains a lot! If you're muscular, then of course you're going to be heavier, but in a good way. It's always important when going on a diet to remember that weight is not everything.

    My diet isn't the greatest b/c I don't want to relapse and fail so while i have made a lot of healthier choices and for the most part it's good, it could be better.
    But, in a way, isn't that the best diet for you? If you know that after your weightloss diet is over, you won't stick to a Perfectly Healthy Diet, then isn't it better to learn to lose weight on a less-than-perfect diet? That way, it should be far easier to KEEP the weight OFF, once you've lost all the weight you want, because there won't be any major change in your eating habits, which is usually what ends up getting people to put the weight back on. What do you think? Isn't it better if it takes a bit longer, but also sticks longer?

  6. #46
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    ... How do you deal with it??...
    I used to have to take a nap every afternoon, but I have been better recently. I just try to keep improving my diet and drinking more water. I need to add exercise to my regimen.

  7. #47
    Highly Hollow Wandering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I used to have to take a nap every afternoon, but I have been better recently.
    My circadian rhythm is so messed up that any nap in the afternoon is garanteed to prevent me from going to sleep at night. Can you say annoying ?

    I just try to keep improving my diet and drinking more water. I need to add exercise to my regimen.
    But where do you find the *energy* to implement those changes ? I mean, even when I know what to do, it tires me so much to actually do it that I just give up. Exercise, in particular, just kills me!

    Ah well... Every day is a new day! Maybe I'll manage to do today what I failed to do yesterday. And if not, maybe I'll manage to do it tomorrow !

    Good luck to you, and may the energy be with you!

  8. #48
    Senior Member Sandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Sandy, do you think is someone were able to explain to her that thyroid hormones aren't medications it might help?

    Even synthetic thyroid brands / formulations (synthroid, eltroxin, levothyroid, etc) are bioidentical to what the body makes. You're not taking a medication, you're taking what your body can't make (and needs).
    I'm sorry I missed this, Natrushka! Yes, we all have tried to explain to her about this, however... you gotta know that my Mom is very paranoid (she thinks the govt. is doing awful things to her) and it is a chore for for us to make sure she takes her normal meds for her psychosis. Adding one more "pill" to her already long list of meds is out of the question for her, so I don't argue with her anymore.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

    There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

  9. #49
    GirlAmerica
    Guest

    Default

    Just wanted to add:

    my primary doctor kept me within the 'normal' range also...but I felt like crap all the time (let alone I couldnt add up my checkbook to save my life!) so...he sent me to see an endocrinologist.......she very much understood that everyone's normal was different within that normal range. The range is quiet broad really, in how it made me feel anyhow.

  10. #50
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    My circadian rhythm is so messed up that any nap in the afternoon is guaranteed to prevent me from going to sleep at night. Can you say annoying ?
    Just when I thought I was in the clear, I had to lay down and take a nap this afternoon. I am PMSing though, and sometimes that can really drain me.

    The secret is to take a 45 minute power nap. Set a timer. I usually set my timer on 60 minutes.
    If I'm tired enough to fall asleep, great. If not, I still feel somewhat rested.
    Any more sleep than that, and I too can't get to sleep at night, which of course causes a vicious cycle.

    But where do you find the *energy* to implement those changes ? I mean, even when I know what to do, it tires me so much to actually do it that I just give up. Exercise, in particular, just kills me!
    Yeah. I usually give up, too.
    It doesn't require too much energy to put frozen broccoli in my grocery cart and microwave it for 7 minutes when I'm making dinner.

    Ah well... Every day is a new day! Maybe I'll manage to do today what I failed to do yesterday. And if not, maybe I'll manage to do it tomorrow !

    Good luck to you, and may the energy be with you!
    And you, too!
    I'm going to be 50 in 13 months, and I think I'm getting psyched up to get my life in order by then - that includes my house and my body.

    I'm going to try increasing my magnesium intake because of the migraines I get but I was reading that it gives energy, too, so I'm hopeful that it will help.

    I'd rather use good nutrition than meds to solve my physical problems.

Similar Threads

  1. Question
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 03:41 PM
  2. [NF] Question for NFs.
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 01:24 AM
  3. Question to my fellow INTP emmigres
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO