• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lack of breakfast and obesity?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was reading an article about obesity, and it stated that not eating breakfast has been linked to an increase in obesity.

Can someone explain this to me?

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
From my knowledge, eating breakfast helps to kick start the metabolism, therefore burning more calories throughout the day. It also seems to correlate with not feeling the need to eat as much later in the day rather than skipping breakfast, eating a lot later to make up for it, and going to bed with a full stomach which then turns to fat. While I certainly don't see where it would be a CAUSE for obesity.. it certainly is an important factor.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is there also a psychological aspect that is associated with breakfast? I know that it's said to make you more mentally alert, but does breakfast help relieve depression and the like?

And why are breakfast foods breakfast foods? I mean, why have cereal when you can have a cheeseburger for breakfast? Is this a cultural thing or not? Because my instinct tells me that there is something universal about breakfast foods...

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
Eating right always has psychological benefits. If you're fueling your body right, it's going to work better. It probably helps balance brain chemicals, and even if it doesn't you'll still feel better physically which usually helps you feel better psychologically and gives you the energy to be more active, which again will go back to balancing brain chemicals and better self esteem.

Grains are the best food to starting the metabolism and provide energy throughout the day. So cereals and toast are good. This also translates to donuts and pastries, but the sugar and whatnot kind of nixes the effect. Milk is actually hard for the body to break down, but just goes well with cereal I guess and dairy is one of the things you need to be healthy, just bad for losing weight. Fruits and veggies give the healthy sugars for quick energy. Eggs and meats are good for protein, but high in fat and cholesterol, so again, they're fine for maintaining a healthy diet, but not good for weight loss! Fruits and veggies also give protein, so you're better to stick with that. Potatoes are starch. It's probably better to save those for lunch once your metabolism's really working.

In other words, yes, there is universal benefit in what foods are chosen, but culture influences which types and how they are prepared. A cheeseburger is just generally unhealthy, so it would definitely be a bad choice for breakfast. But I guess it wouldn't be that different from sausage and toast.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
As wolfmaiden said, it jumpstarts your metabolism. It is similar to the effect of eating 6 small meals a day vs. 2 big meals a day. You want to always keep that metabolism working. On top of which, it provides you with the energy you need to operate effectively throughout the day. It is arguably one of the most important meals. Eat something like oatmeal and egg whites...not something like cereal...and surely not something like donuts.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My grandmother (one of them, anyway) had a very simple diet plan: If it tastes good, don't eat it.

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
Well that all depends on what you like. lol

I love pineapple and lemons and salad. And veggie sandwiches. X3

Okay.. I like food in general. But maybe it's my lack of Se that just makes me not judgemental. haha!

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i was always told that skipping any meal could slow down your metabolism, so i agree that it may have something to do with it. However i usually don't wake up/get out of bed until around 11, and i really am not a fan of breakfast foods (unless its cocoa puffs) so i usually eat a lunch type of food, even if i wake up at 8, i still want something like a slice of pizza or a grilled cheese, i never want breakfast.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Same principle. It's not so much the fact that it's "breakfast" that makes it beneficial. It's the fact that you are eating when you wake up.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
And why are breakfast foods breakfast foods? I mean, why have cereal when you can have a cheeseburger for breakfast? Is this a cultural thing or not? Because my instinct tells me that there is something universal about breakfast foods...
The philosophy in this area changes often. I don't know the latest deal, but I do know that the point is that you're BREAKING a FAST (break-fast). There are proper and improper ways to break a fast. Not sure what the latest scoop is on that. And although I'm curious, I can't look it up right now. I have to go make dinner.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Is there also a psychological aspect that is associated with breakfast? I know that it's said to make you more mentally alert, but does breakfast help relieve depression and the like?

Actually at least two cultures are known for eating vegetables at the morning meal - Israelis and the Japanese.

Slowly digested foods like protein (eggs) and complex carbs (whole wheat toast) are traditional breakfast foods, but some people - like my daughter - can't handle protein in the morning. I figure fruit is better than nothing.

Jae Rae

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I was reading an article about obesity, and it stated that not eating breakfast has been linked to an increase in obesity.

I think it has to do with bad habits in general.

Skipping breakfast does do a number on the metabolism and blood sugar levels? And causes you to eat more later in the day including late at night (really bad for you i.e. weight gain).

But, I would bet that the obese people included in that survey who never at breakast woke up too late in the morning to eat it? Or were so ill-planned in their meals they just ate whatever and whenever they could, so lots of greasy fast food and sodium/fat packed microwave and instant meals?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

Not sure about the depression but that wouldn't be outrageous, and again I think researchers may be correlating something (if they're even doing that) that just another side-effect of another cause. I'm trying to say again, that people with bad habits and bad eating habits will skip breakfast merely as part of an unbalanced, non-nutritious way of life that leads to obesity. Not that skipping breakfast itself can lead to obesity.

Also the breakfast foods thing -- it is cultural. There's a reason why the traditional light breakfast of a muffin and juice or cereal and milk is called 'continental breakfast'. It's a very modern (western) European thing that carried over to the 'new colonies' (meaning US/Canada/Australia, etc.)

Other cultures traditionally eat much heavier foods for breakfast. In fact, the foods you eat for breakfast are not that different from lunch or dinner, but this is also informed by/limited by what has historically been available.

Sugar not to mention wheat not to mention baking is NOt a big part of the diet in a lot of cultures, so the whole pastries thing in the morning is a pretty cosmopolitan/western thing.

But yes, in the morning a lot of people (at least in the states) will say they cannot stomach more than a little bread and water. In my teens, the thought of breakfast made me nauseous. Especially when we had to wake up at 5:00am to catch the g'damn school bus.

Nowadays, if I am hungry in the morning, I'm just as likely to crave a hearty meal like burritos or sushi at 10am and not breakfast food or am completely not hungry and force myself to drink Instant Breakfast and a cracker. I love breakfast food. But usually only after a night out after 2am. Or else at 3 in the afternoon.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ

It's called a epidemiological study and it's worth less than the paper it's printed on.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't drive one of those, actually.

It's funny, because I'm American, too.

I guess I'm not your typical American...*anticipates a smart-ass remark*
I do not drive a car either. These peasants have all cars. They are cheap and pollute a lot. Peasants never walk. Not an inch. Well, some of them do, but not without sticks. They do not know what walking is. They "perform" a sport.

So you are American, but not a peasant. You are urban. Are there other urban Americans aside from you? Maybe not.
How did you become urban? It has to be in the genes. Maybe you are a mutation.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do not drive a car either. These peasants have all cars. They are cheap and pollute a lot. Peasants never walk. Not an inch. Well, some of them do, but not without sticks. They do not know what walking is. They "perform" a sport.

So you are American, but not a peasant. You are urban. Are there other urban Americans aside from you? Maybe not.
How did you become urban? It has to be in the genes. Maybe you are a mutation.

I am more or less suburban. (Or I'm not sure what you mean by urban.)