Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Lack of breakfast and obesity?

I was reading an article about obesity, and it stated that not eating breakfast has been linked to an increase in obesity.

Can someone explain this to me?

MBTI
    Infx

From my knowledge, eating breakfast helps to kick start the metabolism, therefore burning more calories throughout the day. It also seems to correlate with not feeling the need to eat as much later in the day rather than skipping breakfast, eating a lot later to make up for it, and going to bed with a full stomach which then turns to fat. While I certainly don't see where it would be a CAUSE for obesity.. it certainly is an important factor.
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Is there also a psychological aspect that is associated with breakfast? I know that it's said to make you more mentally alert, but does breakfast help relieve depression and the like?

And why are breakfast foods breakfast foods? I mean, why have cereal when you can have a cheeseburger for breakfast? Is this a cultural thing or not? Because my instinct tells me that there is something universal about breakfast foods...

MBTI
    Infx

Eating right always has psychological benefits. If you're fueling your body right, it's going to work better. It probably helps balance brain chemicals, and even if it doesn't you'll still feel better physically which usually helps you feel better psychologically and gives you the energy to be more active, which again will go back to balancing brain chemicals and better self esteem.

Grains are the best food to starting the metabolism and provide energy throughout the day. So cereals and toast are good. This also translates to donuts and pastries, but the sugar and whatnot kind of nixes the effect. Milk is actually hard for the body to break down, but just goes well with cereal I guess and dairy is one of the things you need to be healthy, just bad for losing weight. Fruits and veggies give the healthy sugars for quick energy. Eggs and meats are good for protein, but high in fat and cholesterol, so again, they're fine for maintaining a healthy diet, but not good for weight loss! Fruits and veggies also give protein, so you're better to stick with that. Potatoes are starch. It's probably better to save those for lunch once your metabolism's really working.

In other words, yes, there is universal benefit in what foods are chosen, but culture influences which types and how they are prepared. A cheeseburger is just generally unhealthy, so it would definitely be a bad choice for breakfast. But I guess it wouldn't be that different from sausage and toast.
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

MBTI
    INTJ

As wolfmaiden said, it jumpstarts your metabolism. It is similar to the effect of eating 6 small meals a day vs. 2 big meals a day. You want to always keep that metabolism working. On top of which, it provides you with the energy you need to operate effectively throughout the day. It is arguably one of the most important meals. Eat something like oatmeal and egg whites...not something like cereal...and surely not something like donuts.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

My grandmother (one of them, anyway) had a very simple diet plan: If it tastes good, don't eat it.

MBTI
    Infx

Well that all depends on what you like. lol

I love pineapple and lemons and salad. And veggie sandwiches. X3

Okay.. I like food in general. But maybe it's my lack of Se that just makes me not judgemental. haha!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

i was always told that skipping any meal could slow down your metabolism, so i agree that it may have something to do with it. However i usually don't wake up/get out of bed until around 11, and i really am not a fan of breakfast foods (unless its cocoa puffs) so i usually eat a lunch type of food, even if i wake up at 8, i still want something like a slice of pizza or a grilled cheese, i never want breakfast.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INTJ

Same principle. It's not so much the fact that it's "breakfast" that makes it beneficial. It's the fact that you are eating when you wake up.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    And why are breakfast foods breakfast foods? I mean, why have cereal when you can have a cheeseburger for breakfast? Is this a cultural thing or not? Because my instinct tells me that there is something universal about breakfast foods...
    The philosophy in this area changes often. I don't know the latest deal, but I do know that the point is that you're BREAKING a FAST (break-fast). There are proper and improper ways to break a fast. Not sure what the latest scoop is on that. And although I'm curious, I can't look it up right now. I have to go make dinner.